ADV-Fundamentalism: anti-virus tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, May 19, 2020.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Love it. So good. :beer
    Foiler and spaceman_spiff like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I chose a canyon that had an atv trail cutting through it.
    Day7e - 1.jpg

Good action, intense scenery. Excellent combination producing top notch riding.
    Day7e - 2.jpg

Mind blowing.
    Day7e - 3.jpg

I traveled along the valley bottom for a while and then I needed to climb over another pass. I started up this canyon.
    Day7e - 4.jpg

More intense scenery. This stuff was keeping me in a perfect state of mind for ADV-F travel.
    Day7e - 5.jpg

Quakies were already leafing out in the high country.
    Day7e - 6.jpg

I made it through the pass and was looking at the mountains where the snow was rapidly disappearing.
    Day7e - 7.jpg

Back down in another high valley. The wind had picked up and was almost annoying. It was getting late in the day and the wind would influence where I would make camp. I worked my way to a paved road and blasted it for 40 minutes or so to clear the windy valley.
    Day7e - 8.jpg

No wind in the next valley. I started into a canyon. It was time to start looking for a camp.
    Day7e - 9.jpg
    Traxx, Ginger Beard, Foiler and 10 others like this.
  3. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Yea though I ride through the valley of wind, I fear no evil, for thy throttle comfort me
    Traxx, jonz, BobcatSig and 4 others like this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hallelujah!!!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Big ATV territory here. Pretty fun trails for motorcycles also.
    Day7f - 1.jpg

Here’s what we refer to as a “quad-friendly spine”.
    Day7f - 2.jpg

I ascended to this saddle and noted a single track leading off into the distance. No time to check that now but I made note. I needed a flat spot at this point.
    Day7f - 3.jpg

After a mildly spicy rocky climb, I found this little clearing.
    Day7f - 4.jpg

Nice view. Flat. Plenty of firewood. Rock to sit on. Perfect. This day had been the apex of the trip. I was really happy that I had made it to the reservoir to check out the terrain that was strongly drawing me there. The riding had been out of this world. It was time to relax for one more night.
    ROOST SCRIPTURE: My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials and trails, knowing that the testing of your roost faith produces trail-side satisfaction.
    Day7f - 5.jpg

Nothing is better for a man than that he should look upon the land, eat steak and drink whiskey, and that his soul should enjoy good roosting in his labor. This also, I saw, was from the hand of the ROOST LORD.
    Day7f - 6.jpg
    dave6253, codebot, imnothng and 23 others like this.
  6. azbrown

azbrown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another stellar report Joe- I'm guessing the Pirelli front tires are the MT43 DOT tires? Couldn't imagine running 80 mph. down a ribbon of asphalt on a real (non-DOT, soft, unbalanced....) trials tire. Yes? Such a shame KTM only cranked out these mighty beasts for a few production years...
  7. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does this mean I have to stop sliding my pig around corners.... dammit I was having fun. :amazon
    Traxx and Foiler like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hahahahahaha! You're funny Zubb. You should come out and show us how it's done. What bike do you run, by the way. You're in a safe space here, I swear I won't make fun of you. As I chuckle about that 1290 ADV, I can't help but wonder what a custom build 1290 Super Enduro desert sled would be like?
    Traxx, Ginger Beard, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, I think that's the one. Our buddy Zaniac out of Moab got us onto those. The other one I want to try is the Motoz Mountain Hybrid. I think the 110 size will fit between the forks. Knobs are a bit bigger on that one.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    ^^^^Now we're talking. Fat front tire, skid plate and a bigger tank and we're in business.
  12. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stared at it at length when it first showed up and a couple times since. It's probably not much of a dirt bike, but it certainly left me wondering what swapping that engine into a 950SE would yield. The frame geometry on this one would just need a lot of work. But I'd like to ride it!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Good thing I carried this along the whole way. I was too cheap to throw it away even though I don’t have any use for it anymore.
    Day7g - 1.jpg

While I sat around wishing I had a real chair but enjoying my whiskey, I started to prep some grub. After 3 days I still had a good amount of fresh food. Enough to get me back home the next day. The pandemic had made me pack more and push my supplies much longer than usual. This was good practice for future rides. It’s good to get out of your comfort zone and I find I usually benefit from it. I sliced up some onion, jalapeno, and potato to start a stew in my makeshift camp cup.
    Day7g - 2.jpg

I still had a sealed package of pre-cooked bratwurst. I figure with all the preservatives in them, you can pack them along for a number of days un-refridgerated before eating them. I decided to test out the 2.0 Featherweight some more. I loaded them all onto that fork. The handle was a little flexy with all the weight but seemed ok.
    Day7g - 3.jpg

Firewood was literally at my fingertips. I dumped some gasoline on it.
    Day7g - 4.jpg

After simmering the onion, pepper and potato for a while, I added a can of mushrooms and some powdered soup mix to finish the stew.
    Day7g - 6.jpg

Next up, the Featherweight went on. The handle felt much less flexible when it was propped on a rock in cooking position. I’m still a little unsure of that thin handle. Maybe it's sufficient enough for a lightweight tool. We’ll see what @liv2day thinks after his testing. I’m excited about the 2.0. I’m thinking it has its place.
    It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, beast on Adjustaforks is also a virtue.’
    Day7g - 7.jpg

In the meantime, while I write this, I had to build a prototype Adjustafork/Trailstand combo. The Adjustafork 4.0 Beluga model. @spaceman_spiff shamed me into studying my centerstand. A-hole. He’s on the right track of course. Those centerstands aren’t light. Let’s give it a go.

I know I’ve hurt the feelings of some of you for riding an overloaded pig with my snide comments on carrying chairs and packing facial cream but I’m really not a big bike hater. I think building an Adjustafork specifically for chubby bikes shows my compassionate side.
    Day7g - 0.JPG

Tortillas are good food for multi day packing. Pretty versatile. The wrapped brats really hit the spot and I had a couple leftover for the next day also. The roosting, campsite, Adjustafork meal, whiskey, etc, had been more than satisfying. However, this was my last night. I still needed more. As usual, I wasn’t ready to go home. Oh well, there’d be many more trips. Until then, I’d enjoy sleeping under the stars and one more day in the saddle.
    Day7g - 8.jpg
    KLRalph, Traxx, Steve06 and 18 others like this.
  14. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At first I thought it was about roasting while driving.

Joe Motocross likes this.
  15. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    How about an adjusta with a tire spoon at the other end? Might make for some hazardous tire changes but think of the weight savings!
  16. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    We must be from the same bloodline. Surely we have a common ancestor somewhere upstream a few generations.
    First . . . I found your next ad campaign. Something like this could be tweaked to 4 Tines instead of two.
    [​IMG]

Second . . . here's me giving her the bi-annual bath yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Some folks mistakenly think this is my grandson as it's so easy to mix us up. I assure you, it is I. And sliding and brapping and roosting and flying keeps me quite young as I'm sure you'll testify when under the unction of the holy roost.

Thirdly . . . I too have dreamt dreams and had visions of cutting a hundred pounds off the german farm girl and lacing up an 18" ADV-F front . . . just to see what would happen. But my spirit guide tells me no good will come of this. Better to buy an angry old 4- fiddy and ride it WTF open through the pearly gates of Anza Borrego.

... keep preaching brother.
    Some Beach, Traxx, eaglescan and 4 others like this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Solid @Zubb, solid. "German farm girl", perfect. You look good for your age.
    Traxx, Foiler and Zubb like this.
  18. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe - Awesome photos and journey. I’m sorry it’s about over as I really love UT and look forward to your ride reports.

Moved other comments to the vendors thread for the hybrid fork.
    Traxx and Cav47 like this.
  19. Cav47

Cav47 Look, Lean, and Pray!

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ I was reading until the end to propose the same thing. The fork I have will be getting tested next week in Montana and beyond.

Use only the robust union and long handle from the original version. The tines and top of the “T” can be from the svelte version.
  20. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about three svelte tines mated to the robust handle? Best of all worlds???
    Bt10 and chudzikb like this.