ADV-Fundamentalism: anti-virus tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, May 19, 2020.

1. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Wouldn't that be a threek and not a fork?
    ScotsFire, Zubb and Cav47 like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    OK fools. Don't you guys remember? First rule of Adjustafork is you don't talk about Adjustafork (except in the adjustafork vendors forum where the conversation can continue)

You'll get punted, just saying.
    Traxx, Ginger Beard and Cav47 like this.
  3. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forgive me father, for I have sinned! Forgetting the First Commandment is a cardinal sin; I await the Roost god's punishment with head bowed as I sit in the corner in my folding chair . . .
  4. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're gonna love this...
    In the theme of "The world has a way of telling you when you're carrying too much shit!"
    So I was in that canyon last Fall. Coming through one of the dry creek crossings, I gassed it up through the steep sandy cut on the far bank. Just as I entered the cut, the bike was suddenly thrown sideways and I went right into the bank of the cut. All I could think was WTF?. I walked back to find a nice thick bungee stick/root sticking out of the embankment. The stick was angled right into my line of vision and I hadn't even noticed it. Ripped the pannier right off the bike.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    I don't have the capability to draw a tine foot as a trail stand. But I did have a thought about capping each tine with a solid bar across them. Does this make any sense?

LLLL
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arrrrrgh! good thing it was yer bag and not yer knee. You'd be walking' aboot wit' a peg-leg now and sportin' a smart arse parrot on yer shoulder.

When I was 18 I woke up from surgery to see an old guy next to me with his knee all wrapped up. "What happened to you" I asked. Seems he was roosting along the trail and ran the tip of a hard dead pine tree pointing straight at him right under his patella. I rolled over and went back to sleep. 40 years later I still think about that gruesome possibility.
    Traxx, svo_jon and Bullseye like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Fear not @staticPort as talk of the sacred Adjustafork is never a sin within the ADV-F culture, only with some moderators here on Adventuretalker.

Oh that's priceless. Good to see that you immediately understood the obvious message.
    But those who desire chairs fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
    Traxx, Foiler, Bullseye and 1 other person like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I once again slept like a rock. It was as quiet out here as a Trump rally in Oklahoma during a pandemic. Seeing how I lost my stove, I just behaved as I normally would and built a fire to cook with.
    Day8a - 1.jpg

Oh yeah, yuge cup of croffee!!! Now that’s tremendous!!!
    Day8a - 2.jpg

My gal Hotstuff (who couldn’t be on this journey because she’s away on an emergency room nursing contract - yeah, scary) got me these new minimalist shoes for X-mas. SUPER minimal. I don’t think they’ll last long but they work great for now.
    Day8a - 3.jpg

Go figure.
    Day8a - 4.jpg

Quickly I realized that I was printing “Made In China” inverted in the dirt all over my camp!!
    Day8a - 5.jpg

A bonus of using cans for cups and cooking vessels is that you can just smash them and get rid of them instead of cleaning them. Now that’s minimalist!! Get some new ones at the next stop. I kinda like this. Might have to rethink bringing a cup at all.
    Day8a - 6.jpg

It was ATV trails to start the day.
    Day8a - 7.jpg
    codebot, liv2day, mrmushman and 16 others like this.
  9. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It just might be that when the Finger of the Roost God reached down to flick away yer stove (an obvious violation of the plain teachings of Roost Scripture) that yer trusty cup was so tightly bound unto the stove that it became collateral damage. Inadvertent, don't 'cha know. This interpretation could be tested on a subsequent expedition by securing a cup all by itself to a discrete location on your minimalist pack; if it survives the journey it would be a clear sign that a small cup in and of itself does not profane Roost Gospel.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. terryna

terryna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bring it!![​IMG]
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This is quite plausible. I think your suggested method of testing this theory is in order.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Due to the snow still in the higher terrain, I had to stay down in the mid and lower elevations. This was cool since I generally don’t spend that much time on these routes. It was a chance to check out some new routes.
    Day8b - 1.jpg

I wasn’t all that far from my house. I could’ve been there in less than a couple of hours if I just hit the pavement. That wouldn’t do though. My plan was to check out some routes I haven’t been on before. I wanted to piece together a route that followed the numerous ranching roads through the valleys. I started along an irrigation canal.
    Day8b - 2.jpg

Following this canal turned into a great route.
    Day8b - 3.jpg

At one point I climbed into the foothills on a route that would keep me going in the general direction toward my place. I missed a turn and ended up in this little ATV scramble area. It gave me a chance to get the SE into the air one last time.

Who are these who float along like a cloud, who fly like doves on their desert sleds? They are believers!!
    Day8b - 4.jpg
    liv2day, Traxx, BigDogRaven and 23 others like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Well @Zubb, I tried to tell you but you broke the rule and got punted. :lol3

I got back down next to the canal again for a while then the route followed this fenceline for a long stretch. Freaking perfect. This was exactly what I was looking for.
    Day8c - 1.jpg

The two-track yielded to a better quality graded road as I approached the next small community.
    Day8c - 2.jpg

Typical small town here in the high valleys of central Utah.
    Day8c - 3.jpg

I had one more small range to climb over before I dropped down into the valley that I live in.
    Day8c - 4.jpg

The route was unfolding nicely. Easy riding. Nothing too rowdy but great fast terrain and it was going in the right direction.
    Day8c - 5.jpg

The range is small but there are still lots of convoluted valleys and drainages in it. The road zig zagged and flowed smoothly through here.
    Day8c - 6.jpg

I made it up to a pass at around 8400’ in elevation. Off to the west was the valley/range terrain of western Utah and Nevada.
    Day8c - 7.jpg

Off to the east was the little valley that I call home.
    Day8c - 8.jpg

I dropped into the valley. My town is just on the far side of those little bumps out in the valley.
    Day8c - 9.jpg

I landed at what Hotstuff and I affectionately call “The Little House”. Little shaky but lots of character and smack in the middle of perhaps the best Adventure Rider Fundamentalist terrain in the US.
    Day8c - 10.jpg
    SonoraDave, liv2day, BISHOP and 40 others like this.
  14. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kind of you to torment the rest of us that are at home! But, seriously, thanks for your efforts, I know it is not easy putting these together.
    Ginger Beard and Joe Motocross like this.
  15. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never would have pegged you for a cat guy! Another good report in the books...
  16. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Yes, I got punted right to the basement. As I look around, there are several fundamentalist sitting on the cold wet concrete beside me.

Do not incur the wrath of administrators. They shall not be trifled with.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You and me both. Those two lurkers on the right are feral. That little bastard walking toward me was born in our woodpile and Hotstuff plucked him. Now he's my buddy.
    Traxx and ilten like this.
  18. skibrighton

skibrighton n00b

Oddometer:
    Fine ride report, really thanks for posting it!
  19. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    How have you been handling the protests since you got home? And the looters?

I crack myself up sometimes.

Great ride Joe, and nice little house. Looks more like Little Home. You and H/S have a good thing going there, even if you have to tolerate some cats.
    Lanis and Traxx like this.
  20. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Joe, thanks for another fantastic RR. Your style is a hella lotta fun and makes my days funnier. And brighter. As I plan my own escapes next.
    Traxx likes this.