ADV-Fundamentalism: anti-virus tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, May 19, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again, killer report @Joe Motocross, sincere thanks for providing much needed relief during the stay-at-home mandate and all the rest of the craziness currently occupying all the headlines. Though I was able to get out on my own jaunt, I appreciate the time and effort you put into keeping the report going.

Keep the knobby side down man.
  2. michaellmcc

michaellmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderfully entertaining and insightful report, Reverend Joe.

While you deliver a powerful message, replete with scripture, and I respect your right to bring it, I cannot, in good conscience, buy in. Fundamentalism in pursuit of happiness is a slippery slope. Far too far right for me, and such a stance just compounds the polarization and name-calling and insulting and nonsensical noise that the vociferous fringe groups on both right and left make with regard to motorcycling.

As Johnny Cash once sang,
    "...Well, the one on the right was on the left
    And the one in the middle was on the right
    And the one on the left was in the middle
    And the guy in the rear was a Methodist."
    My style of ADV riding has included every type of terrain, road surface, and weather, in over 20 countries, all on a big-ass R1200GS. Sometimes I've had my wife on pillion. Certainly no place for fundamentalism, so I'll have to just stick with ADV-M. As in Methodist. Not on the right, not on the left. In the middle. Sensible. Not alienating.

While tempted by your style of advenuring, I must fight the urge to become more of a fundamentalist in my old age! It happens to far too many.

Mike
    Team USA.jpg
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inmates may be worse than the New York Time,
    but inmates are probably more accurate. :photog

Personally I am with Groucho Marks, "I would never want to be a member of an organization, that would have someone like me as a member":imaposer

You know MC Joe does not have a wardrobe man... he wears a gray onezee...comando!
  4. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Glad you appreciate this stuff @michaellmcc. I think you’ve pretty much got us nailed.

Of course you can’t. You’re on a freaking 1200GS!! We wouldn’t let you.

Since you haven’t tried ADV-F, you can’t actually say. With ADV-Fundamentalism, there’s no pursuit of happiness, it’s already achieved. And as defacto leader, I can confirm that I have a solid foothold on that slope as do the Presiding High Council. 18” front tires also help manage slippery slopes.

Exactly. ADV-Fundamentalism is the only true ADV. All others are fake.

Nonsensical noise is our specialty and we are, no doubt, a motorcycling fringe group.

:fpalm No you haven’t!! I promise!! :imaposer

See, you are a much more worldly intellectual than we are. We are just small, shallow people. We can’t be bothered with border crossings and passports and visas and crap. Who gives a shit about seeing some historic castle or visiting an ancient village or seeing how rice farmers live in Asia? All we want to do is ROOST!!! Hit some whoops, slam some berms, catch some air, climb some hills! Drink whiskey and sleep under the stars after enjoying a steak on the Adjustafork. Have fun eating your oshifima. Yuck.
    9D2A5F03-22C6-46B2-865F-4F41CD2B2891.jpeg
    scudo, Foiler, Kyron and 24 others like this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Thanks Vaultman.
  6. michaellmcc

michaellmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap

Yes, way too sophisticated - elite. But there are very FEW commandments, even for middle of the road ADV-M's:
    1) Thou shalt not mount a fat-ass, bulbous rear tire on the front of your GS.
    2) Thou shalt not confuse a "dry river bed" (which is the only kind of river they have in the southwestern US) or an "arroyo" (whatever that is) with a trail.
    3) Thou shalt not roost.

So Rev Motocross seized the ADV-Methodists and shaved off half of each one’s beard. He cut their Klim riding pants off so that their buttocks were exposed, and then sent them away. Amen.
    Zubb, liv2day, Ginger Beard and 3 others like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    :rofl^^^:rofl
    liv2day and Ginger Beard like this.
  8. Paul in Colo

Paul in Colo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sand riding tips are spot on. Thanks for taking us with you Joe...
  9. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yikes, I am fk'd, in the Middle
  10. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    Ok enough of the BS guys, I just wanted to know how to get the photo of the stream crossing!:dirtdog
    end - 3.jpg
    Zubb likes this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, meant to tell you that my buddy Wally snapped that back on day 3.
    veriest1 and KLRalph like this.
  12. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bringing us along!
  13. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great report and encouragement for the soul Joe. Much respect!

For all the offended Beluga riders out there I want to extend an olive branch as an ADV-F wannabe. Relax, REV Joe loves you but he must spread his message. My sons and I (with the non-mentionable forks and all) have been on several journeys to prove ourselves worthy of the ADV-Faith
    sheep bridge mud copy.jpg
    CRF FLAG 100 hill copy.jpg

But ultimately I was found to have camped with a Helinox chair and deemed not worthy so I decided to fly to Florida and spread the ADV-F message as a way to repentance. I needed a trusty steed to spread the message so I chose a Gravel Goldwing to ride the 3K miles home to AZ.
    Beluga sunrise copy.jpg
    But it wasn't enough for a thorough cleansing so I continued to ride that Beluga through CA, OR, ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, and then home, even using the front tire as a chair on super easy forest roads.
    GSA Chair.jpg
    I'd even buy an orange bike if they'd let me in but I know I'll never be accepted into the true cult now that I love my Beluga so much, so I will continue to just read the scriptures of Joe with a smile on my face as I plan my next adventure pretending that I'm a middle aged bad ass.

Keep up the excellent reports Reverend Motocross, the world needs you!
    Zubb, Toddv, dano619 and 5 others like this.
  14. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front wheel backrest doesn't work properly if you have 2 rotors....
    TomJoad likes this.
  15. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    JM, I enjoyed your report.....and love a big front tire. I ride a DR350 and use an NX250 19in wheel on it with a 400/19. That's the same dia as a 21" (or very close)for speedo purposes and I can't get a wider tire between my forks. I've also noted the great rock protection from the greater rock to rim distance.

I also live in the southwest where the biggest problem that I encounter is sand. That big front tire is a 90% improvement in sand all by itself, and then lower the pressure near 10lbs makes the bike almost ride itself.

....but to go that low on air pressure, I had to go tubeless. I used the cheap Shoe Goo method. Of course, the other advantage of tubeless is eliminating 95 percent of tube failure flats.

Have you tried tubeless yet? Granted, you still have to carry a tube for catastrophic failure (or for other riders)

BTW, I love that when you have a flat that you explain what went wrong. I hate went a guy say that he had a flat and fixed it someway, but doesn't go into the details.

Do you ever have to adjust spoke tension? I'm an easy rider so I don't get into that.
    veriest1 likes this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This is exactly the case!! We don’t “hate” on Belugas. Just chuckle a bit. It’s part of spreading the message. And you get it and I respect you for that. ADV-Fundamentalism isn’t for everyone. But we believe there are a number of riders out there that might not even be aware that this is an option for them and it could be just what they need.

Couple of odd choices there but we always appreciate people who are willing to spread the gospel. Good work covering ground. Even though you’ve chosen a Beluga Class bike, I think we’re getting through to you.

The issue for us is we’ve ridden long enough now that journeys of unsupported motorcycle travel from hotel to hotel on maintained roads isn’t enough and it’s really not what we consider “adventure”. We need that edge. That possibility you might not make the hill climb. The chance that you’ll swamp your desert sled trying to cross the river. Maybe the route doesn’t shake out and you end up in a bad spot. Multi days of hard, exhausting riding and sleeping in the dirt, seeing who can keep their shit together and who melts down. For whatever reason, this stuff keeps us satisfied.
    Foiler, karter18, Toddv and 2 others like this.
  17. Gack

Gack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really great report Joe! Your writing and photography are really getting good! I've read some of your other reports. This one was super entertaining. Especially seeing those voile straps flapping in the breeze. The same thing happened to me on my last adventure...
    And I totally get the front tire thing...I hate sand. I almost went down a couple of times on my last ride in NM. So the sand tips were greatly appreciated!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  18. satchmo3

satchmo3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been sniffing around this ADV-F tree for a while now, but this response really speaks to me, the way forward is being illuminated... the clarity of the message is striking. I feel like a weight has been lifted. I’ve never felt so free.
    I do need a tent though here on the wet side of Oregon..
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Couple things here. That should be your first clue that you’re on the wrong bike or your desert sled needs a diet.

Second, it still works ok. Check out @Some Beach leaning on his twin rotor Beluga in the photo he posted.
    Toddv likes this.
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Good idea man. I like it. 18” gives even more cushion but I like how you’ve used an existing wheel.

I’ve had good luck with 4mm ultra heavy duty tubes. Run 6lbs on the 500, 8lbs on the 950. Can’t be bothered with tubeless, haven’t seen any advantage yet. They have their issues just like tubes do.

Yeah, gotta keep an eye on the spokes. Usually adjust them about once a year. Usually find a few that need more tension.
    zipweee likes this.