ADV in South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lexluther11, Dec 27, 2015.

1. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    I didn't notice until I really looked at this picture, his hand is very strange?
  2. BC Brian

BC Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like when he cut his fingernails he took off too much on 2 and not enough on 2......
  3. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I believe that is called Ram's Horn nails. Usually caused by long term infection.
  4. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, you take beautiful photos of stuff I just ride by. I wish I had your eye and your camera. I'm in San Gil right now. Heading south so I may meet up with you yet.
  5. ElLocoJuan

ElLocoJuan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you liked salento, wait to see guatape, medellin, villa de leyva, barichara, cartagena... it going to be very dificult that you live my country jejeje
    If you are stil in salento, go to Quimbaya, is less that 1 hour. Ask for "Parque del Cafe" and "Panaca", you will not beleive how amazong are those places

Enviado desde mi SM-N910C mediante Tapatalk
  6. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Really nice guy to talk with and thanks for the info.
  7. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    I hope to cross paths with you soon Vic. Cheers
  8. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Yes Salento is so beautiful and I know there must be a lot more places that are just as nice and look forward to seeing them. Thank you for the tips.
    ElLocoJuan likes this.
  9. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Today I went riding along the Río Quindio river passing through lots of coffee fields, banana trees, small towns. The sun was shining and a perfect day for exploring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was stopping to take pictures along the way and after a few hours I noticed when starting my bike the starter sounded week. I knew something was wrong and turned around to go to Armenia and a motorcycle shop.
    While passing through a small town a passed a small motorcycle shop and decided to turn around and stop there. I shut the bike off to talk with the guys and when we tried to start it the battery was dead. Thoughts of
    Mexico 2 years ago rang through my head where the same thing happened to me.

The shop being basically a shack with not much for tools but a great bunch of guys working and hanging out there. They were all eager to help me out, they didn't have any jumper cables so we used a car battery and two pieces of
    electrical wire.
    [​IMG]
    It worked and we got my bike started checked the battery and it wasn't charging. Knowing they could not fix it there I took off to find the Suzuki dealer in Armenia. The engine was running ruff and I had to keep the revs high to make it.
    The traffic was super busy and I kind of remember seeing some motorcycle shops on one of the main streets in town. I was very lucky to just about make to the block where I seen the shops. But they were doing roads work and
    stopped the traffic while trying to keep the engine revs up and going my bike died. I pushed it to the side of the road and walked to see what make of motorcycle shops were there? I walked half a block and to my relieve the Suzuki dealer was there. I went back and pushed my bike inside the shop. At first they said all you need is a new battery and I said please check to see if it's charging because I knew that was the problem and I was sadly right. grrrrrr!!!!!
    No stators in Colombia when they checked but won't know for sure until Monday. When it happened in Mexico it took 30 days to get the parts but here they said 3-5 days. I hope that's the case because it's time to go riding and my
    plans of riding with Brian is not going to happen. I'll catch up with him someplace when my bikes fixed. Anyways it's good it happened here and not out in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]

I'll have time now to catch up on some pictures.
    Max Wedge and goodcat like this.
  10. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Best of luck with the bike lex.
    Damn good spot to break down though....so it seems lady luck is with you
  11. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    goodcat likes this.
  12. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Riding along the Río Quindio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of bikes that I have never seen before.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    goodcat likes this.
  13. ElLocoJuan

ElLocoJuan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Bogota. Let me check tomorrow if maybe in the Suzuki principal dealer the have that part. I will let you know

Enviado desde mi SM-N910C mediante Tapatalk
  14. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Why not buy a small car battery and connect it to your system? I had a voltage regulator go out in Mexico on my KL250, and I finished my trip with a car battery strapped to the back rack. Unplug your headlight, unplug your stator, minimize all your electrical load, and charge the battery up at night with a small charger. On that trip I met another rider who recognized my dilemma (battery strapped on back rack) and told me he rode through half of South America with exactly the same solution. You can use your gps, and your starter, but bump start whenever you can park on a hill.
    ICERIDER likes this.
  15. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    That would be great................Cheers
  16. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    That bike is way to heavy to push and jump start. Brian suggested I try and get the stator re-spun so on Monday I'll try and find out if it can be done. Cheers
  17. BC Brian

BC Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to stay in Guatape one more night (it's hard to get out of this town, too)

I have to go through Medellin on the way to Salento, so let me know how things go tomorrow and if you need me to I can pick up stuff on the way through.....
  18. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian,

I'm sure it's just the stator and not the rotor too so hopefully I'll be able to get it re-spun. Juan has been very kind to help me out too.

Cheers
    Max Wedge and BC Brian like this.
  19. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Getting the BBQ ready for my 2 dollar steak. I have had steak 3 of the last 4 nights. I love the butcher shops here, I just say filet and open my fingers around two inches. My Spanish is very bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BryanQ and Max Wedge like this.
  20. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    If all goes right today my motocycle will be fixed and I'll be back riding again today. Depending on when the stator arrives and installed I'm leaving Salento on my way to Medellin. I want to thank ElLocoJuan for all his help.
    ElLocoJuan, Max Wedge and BC Brian like this.