1. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    We are blessed living out here - that is a fact. But CO, too, is building like someone opened a can. There is a builder close to where I live that aims to build a new house from breaking ground to move-in ready completion in 16 days. They have a crew large enough to pump out eight at a time. It seems as every time I drive by, there is a new village popping up...
    joe a likes this.
  2. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea when we left Denver heading to the mtns I saw a lot of communties being built. Hurricane Irma completely cracked my wife she is ready to leave now. Iam trying to ride this pension for as long as I can. I plan on taking a month of work and traveling out west to get my fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    Just posted up my son's 2005 CRF 70f for sale in the Rockies Flea Market. Great winter season price.
  4. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great kids bike, we have one. At that price you could stick a lifan 125 in and still be cheaper than the going rate in the summer!
  5. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    It was a bit windy this weekend, but with the temps and it being dry we ended up riding Saturday and Sunday. Good times:

[​IMG]
  6. LivingLife87

LivingLife87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love this thread. Family is moving to Erie in about 16days. And even though my little guy is only 2, we are super excited to get him started on 2 wheels. Not being too familiar with CO other than having visited 3 times in the last 3 years. Is there parks or do most of you have space to basically ride in your backyard?
  7. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Erie is very close to a MX track called IMI in Dacono. $20 per bike per day get you access to multiple tracks for all age groups. I think they have annual passes and are open most days of the week. That would be a great place to start. The other option is trail riding on USFS roads with the right equipment (spark arrestor) and OHV sticker, but that is a seasonal joy only, say June through November. The third option is making friends with folks who have land... Starting early is such a benefit later in his riding career. You will love it.
  8. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    not exactly related but having successfully raised at least one (but probably two) Advkids, don't start your son too early. I am 100% convinced that the only thing worse than training wheels on a bicycle is training wheels on a motorcycle. Training wheels on a motorcycle are about the parents, not the child. Both of mine could ride a two wheeler before they ever got behind the handlebars of a motorcycle.

I also wanted them to understand to the maximum extent possible they could get hurt riding. I think understanding that made it a lot easier for them to bounce back up from their falls.

Have fun!
    Proettermann likes this.
  9. LivingLife87

LivingLife87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow thank you! This is great! And its super close to our new place. We looked up a track but that one was for street motos and not dirt. Ill hopefully start working on that 3rd option. We wanted to be the ones with land and our own dirt track. Unfortunately didnt happen with this house. Maybe in a few years. :)

Hey thanks for the advice! We dont plan on putting our little guy on a moto until he can properly balance and have a better sense of control so not even thinking about putting training wheels. So maybe 3? Right now we have him started on a balance bike and figure that a good place to start. He LOVES our vroom vroom's as he calls it. Loves to start them, loves to sit on them. So just thinking ahead. :) thanks again!
  10. beaterktm

Oddometer:
  11. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To each his own, but I don't know that I personally agree with this statement. Both of my younger boys had training wheels on their 50cc bikes. They could ride bicycles and balance fine, but the strength required to ride a 150lb dirt bike is very different than the strength to ride a 20 lb. bicycle.

They only used the trainers long enough to gain confidence and an understanding of how to balance and control the much heavier machine. The older one is 9 and is moving up to the XR70 after three seasons of an XR50. The younger is 7 and is still on his TTR50, this will be his third season on it. He got it for his fifth birthday. He used the training wheels until he was six, so one season plus. He has ridden all over CO and never missed a beat. They might have developed some bad habits (don't stand enough, etc.) but it gave them confidence and showed them they could control something so much heavier and more powerful than a bicycle. (My oldest started on an XR100 and is moving to a CR125 this year).

I might agree with this statement :D Having the kids ride allows me to ride :clap I have done Baja solo, but still love to ride easy trails in CO and UT with the kids (and wife when she goes) we are together doing something we love. So what if it isn't gnar? Its still time in the saddle AND time together.

Whatever works for you, riding with your kids is great however you do it!
    nwcolorider likes this.
  12. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Amarillo Arenacross last weekend. Colorado was well represented. We met a lot of folks who practice with us at local tracks in the Front Range.

Cleaning his number plate between heats:

[​IMG]

Waiting in the chute for his gate pick:

[​IMG]

Off to a good start:

[​IMG]

Qualified for the main event, and placed 5th overall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DC950, nwcolorider, Deano955 and 2 others like this.
  13. beaterktm

Oddometer:

Flew out to AZ. Brought my sons bmx bike. My son saw snow for the first time.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Long day at the First Season RMXA Race at Thunder Valley in Lakewood today.

[​IMG]

Taking two out of three of the triple step up:

[​IMG]

Finish Line jump:

[​IMG]
  15. beaterktm

Oddometer:
    Got off work at 8am and drove 4 hrs to high springs bmx for a state race. in the van for two days. Got 3rd place Saturday and 2nd Sunday. So it was worth it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Proettermann likes this.
  16. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    How much shoulder protection does the Leatt vest give you? Is it just like the neoprene holding together the front and backplate, or is it actual padding? My son is begging for a standard roost guard, but I am a stickler for shoulder and elbow protection. Daddy knows first hand that every bit of protection helps...
  17. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    My GF's granddaughter on a Honda 50 I picked up last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just picked up this KX65 last weekend. She will give it a go this weekend.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
  18. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    My son is 15 months old and is already riding one. The 3 year old boy across the street started on one about a year ago and is now kicking butt on a pedal bike. Never needed training wheels. They even have Stryder races, so my brother sent us a special race bike for when my boy's old enough.

upload_2018-3-13_11-1-59.png
    beaterktm likes this.
  19. beaterktm

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of shoulder protection. A regular chest protector has more. But it does have padding in the shoulders.

Proettermann likes this.
  20. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Love that frame and saddle. So cool. My kid started on a strider as well when he was 3. Learning the pedals took all but 5 minutes.