1. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Invested $85 in a USFS approved sparky end cap, $25 in an OHV application and $6 in jets for the carb. My boy followed me to 13,000ft. up McClellan Mountain. We had a blast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But he was happy to be back on the track the next day:

[​IMG]
    Barrett66 and Skunk-Works like this.
  2. Barrett66

Barrett66 Boosted!

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    He’s currently 6 years old and he will start his 3rd season this coming January. We run winter series hare scrambles and a 14 race series in the summer. The entire family has really gotten into it and it’s time well spent together.
  3. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20200420-211419.png

Howdy all: boy grew out of his 65. Rides a '17 85 SX and loving life. Growing faster than I can afford new gear...
    Ride safe, enjoy yourselves out there.
  4. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200708_201134.jpg

Sometimes he needs to put time in under the "pay-to-play" program...

:y0!
    Barrett66, pratered and HanzoSteel like this.
  5. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
  6. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent the weekend at Peach Valley chasing my kiddo. Turns 13 tomorrow. I could not shake him in the ditches, he has been riding very well this year.
    20200726_152705.jpg
    20200726_152824.jpg
  7. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    20200731_151820.jpg Seems like it rained a bit more than Junior expected...
  8. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Ok guys and gals. enjoy the times with them before you know it they will go from

c7.jpg

To
    c5.jpg
    To making a big mess
    c3.jpg

Then they need a bigger bike
    c2.jpg
    and even a bigger bike
    c1.jpg

But they will be times you never forget

c4.jpg
    [​IMG]
    I admit, I am standing up hill from him, he has me by two inches at least now.
    He started riding at 4, now 24 and we had some good times. Just did 300 miles yesterday.
  9. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great advice Norm. My 17 year old is starting to scare me and the 12 year old is pretty much unstoppable on trails. That's why I only took the 10 year old this week to ride mornings at Peach Valley and afternoons up on the Uncompahgre! :lol3

I am continuously amazed by what theses little Honda singles can do with a motivated young man on them! We rode single track, we rode the big ditches/sand washes and we climbed scary adobe hills and that little CRF80 never wavered. My wife has not trained me very well, I realized I only took 10 pictures in five days...
    IMG_0688.jpg
  10. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Played in the sandbox today...
    20200912_134826_019_saved.jpg
  11. MaParkerColo

Oddometer:
    First race ever for the 10 year old. Had fun, didn’t get hurt, finished the whole race and wasn’t last. All goals accomplished. (Dad raced yesterday with pretty much the same outcome.). CORCS does a nice job.
    D5F29B82-CED6-4C6A-A75E-7A642268F944.jpeg
  12. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound

Oddometer:
    @MaParkerColo -- are y'all headed up to the Upton, WY race this weekend or the Penrose one in October? We didn't get to the Fountain race due to my 10-yr olds first race ending in a crash in spectacular fashion a couple weeks ago in Cheyenne. He broke his helmet and dented his Leatt, which is exactly why we get him the good gear! They recover quickly though, he was back on the bike this week. That might be RMEC, not CORCS, but I'm getting lost in all the different clubs!
  13. MaParkerColo

Oddometer:
    We might hit Penrose in October for the CORCS race. We leave for a family vacation the next week (and I'll get murdered if any of us got hurt the week before :deal) so its still up in the air.

Didn't know about the RMEC race this weekend until you mentioned it so we will not be at that one.
  14. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    We can connect the kiddos should you plan to go please, reach out. We'll do the same if the stars align and we find the way South. I think we started the last three vacations injured, and it is frustrating certainly, while part of life too I guess! The RMEC race was fun, I'll figure out how to get a pic up here.

In his second race, 7-12yrs 65cc class, he started late (dry start and bike didn't kick right away), then looped out under the urge to try to catch up! Followed immediately by dropping bike a second time and falling over, heart-wrenching to witness! But he stayed true to the grit I found him tho be made of and made his way through the 7 or so other riders to end the 25-min loop in 2nd place!

Another family protested a pass in the no-pass zone and credit of an additional lap at the end of timed session, so they ended up moving him to 3rd place. It was a tough deal because they already had the awards ceremony at the time of protest, so he got the 2nd place award before having to trade it. A great lesson for both of us, I found video evidence after we got back that indeed the pass took place legally just prior to the no-pass zone and the other kid fall over, but I didn't know all the rules so I couldn't counter anything really. It was the first race I'd ever been to of its kind so....

All in all he had a great day, rode well, made some friends and they rode the forest after the race together, until dark and then again in the morning before heading home.

Attached Files:

Proettermann and HanzoSteel like this.
  15. MaParkerColo

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's great! I will reach out before the race if we head down. I would like to connect other ADVers if they are around.
    Steel_Cowboy likes this.
  16. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Q-bald

Oddometer:
    I could use some advice from some other inmates on this one.
    Back story: Wife didn't grow up with motorcycles and sees them as dangerous. She's been disapproving of our kids on motorcycles since before we had kids... Three years ago we picked up a pair of Polaris Sportsman to tour the back country with the kids which has been the BEST family activity one could imagine - I had no idea it would be so great to ride as a family. Last year I added a Honda Recon (230 cc semi-auto 2wd quad) to the fleet for our oldest two - now 13(girl) and 11(boy) to learn to ride on their own. Both are around 5'1" and 100 lbs. My daughter has taken to the little machine and has turned into a pretty good rider this year - good enough to outride the suspension. She expressed an interest in dirt biking and a few weeks ago the kids got to try out a XR70 (semi auto again) in the staging area and both loved it and to my surprise my wife gave the go-ahead to look into acquiring one!!
    We were up camping/riding this last weekend I finally got to take my oldest out for a daddy/daughter ATV ride - it was blissful. I love watching her grow and having the ability to excel, especially at 13, when her schoolmates drag her down so much.
    My son is less coordinated but more exuberant to learn to ride. He needs more coaching for sure.

So I need some recommendations for a first dirt bike for a tweenage girl who's a bit timid- the biggest criteria is that it is not too big a stepping stone that causes discouragement.
    Criteria
    • 2 wheels
    • Right size or a bit small for someone around 5'1" - 5'3". No tip-toes, two flat feet preferred.
    • Mild power delivery - 4-stroke preferred
    • Semi-auto
    • Light weight
    • Kick start or e-start? Not sure it matters as long as it is easy.
    • Smaller wheels are ok - most riding will be Divide or Rampart area trails
    • Easy to ride - this is about skill building on two wheels while trail riding and NOT freaking out my wife.
    • I'll be buying used and I don't mind selling it in a year or two to take another step in progressing with better power/suspension and a clutch.
    I'd love it if I could buy her a KX100 and tell her to keep up with me but experience has shown me that this young lady grows best when the deck is stacked in their favor rather than challenged to make big steps. My first thought was a klx110 or klx110L.

What have you used that worked well?
  17. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:

I have an XR80 but it has a clutch, if you want to barrow it for a day to see if it works for her let me know. Not for sale but to see if she can use a clutch. I'm in Aurora.
  18. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The KLX110 was my guess. We had one, semi auto. Reliable. I worry that at 13 you wont have it long, then jump to the TTR125.
    JDUBinCO likes this.
  19. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Q-bald

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, that's very generous but I have to pass. Just looking for the right bike to take to the mountains and let them learn slowly and on their own time.
    HanzoSteel likes this.
  20. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I would lean in favor of @HanzoSteel offer of taking the XR80 for a spin. I do not recommend starting with a semi-auto given their ages and experience. I say this because, We are in essentially the same situation as you, as I'm sure many are in Colorado as kids bikes are actually hard to find. My daughter is 12, going on 13-soon, just about 5' in height and rides a CRF125. She only has about 5-6 hrs on it max and can get through more than she believes she can. It is a clutch, which all the kids we've seen basically learn in about 5-10 minutes on this thing. She rode only pedal bikes and electric trials bikes and never a clutch prior to this. Plus, she is a very timid rider, but she still got the clutch down in about 5mins or less. She is much better now than she every thought she would be, confidence building still needed, so I wouldn't take her to the mountains too much now, that would be a bit difficult even on a semi-auto. The technique of it all needs more practice in my opinion, but again she only has about 5 or so hrs on it. You need some flat, generally good area to let them practice first and you will be surprised.
    My son, 10-yrs old and shorter than her by two or three inches rides that thing and he already maxed out the suspension and wants more "bike". So we picked up a 65sx 2-stroke that is perfect. It is definitely more bike, even though it is "smaller" he rides it harder. He only rode automatics until this June and it took him all about 15-seconds, literally to figure out the clutch. He rides the 110 as a pit-bike only now. My daughter can also ride the 65, but likes the ease of the 125 more. We also have a 110, which is semi-auto (no clutch, but you have to manually shift if you want faster. Happy to host you guys up at the ranch if you want to check it out, but surrounded by the fires makes for very touch-and-go outdoor activities at present.