ADV-LOBOMOTO-18 - Ngurumani

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Osadabwa, Feb 22, 2021 at 12:32 PM.

1. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    A lad I’ve known for seven years, a smart, kind and helpful kid (my complete opposite, in other words) was about to turn 18 and his dad says to me, so he says: “All he wants to do for his birthday is ride his bike like a hooligan. Hey, you're a hooligan, why don't you take him out and we’ll meet you guys down in Ngurumani with the 4x4s and families and food and beers and celebrate it properly. All you have to do is ride and try not to injure yourself trying to keep ahead of him.” To which I said: “Are you sure this isn't my birthday? I’m in!” So on Friday, Lobomoto and I played hookie for a 3 day ride. We took on all my favourite tracks… the rocky ones I get in trouble for suggesting too frequently, and even attempted a few unknowns I’d been hoping could become part of the usual itinerary. It was excellent. Let’s go!

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobo and I about to launch… the dry, clean faces wouldn’t last long!

First up, we zipped past the Ngongs, decided to ignore a small leak coming from Lobo’s 520’s recent starter repair (it'll heal itself, right?) and ripped past Saikeri to the much-improved track to the Kisimit Valley, one of the valleys within the Great Rift Valley that I enjoy so much for it’s relatively untouched appearance. It was dusty, rocky and just a wee bit hot for only being 10:00AM. We popped out on the Oltepesi-Najile road and twisted it on. Lobomoto asked me later how much I throttle back on the faster rocky stuff, for which that track is notorious, because he could tell I was pulling away. Answer: Not a helluvalot. But I think I screwed up admitting that cause that was the last time the whole trip he lost ground to me!

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobo enjoying the Kisimit

[​IMG]
    Above: A bit of a break in the shade

[​IMG]
    Above: Funky rock formations

[​IMG]
    Above: A bird of prey in a tree in an anthill on a stone… and a petrol station in Village X half way to Oltepesi

After topping up (there wouldn’t be any petrol until Ngurumani), we aimed straight for Mt. Suswa. I wanted to ride a bulldozer/charcoal burner/goat track to the rim, or at least give it the Old College Try. We picked our way through the leleshwa, scrambling over rather steep and stony sections in spots on a very promising track that did what promising tracks sometimes do… they vanish into the bush without a trace. We could have gone macho-enduro out there, bashing much rockier stuff in washes and gullies, but I would have probably died of heat stroke and I feared the long-term impact this would have on the lad’s psyche, so for the good of all concerned, we got the hell off that sweltering hillside.

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobomoto on one of the easier sections

[​IMG]
    Above: Where the road ends, the GPS tracks turn to spider webs of hope and disappointment… a decent view from Suswa you don’t usually see

[​IMG]
    Above: Skittering down the babyheads and bowling balls

[​IMG]
    Above: Suswa aiming south

[​IMG]
    Above: My Piggie chewing up the rocks. She likes ‘em faster, but she’ll handle as much of the slow stuff as you can

[​IMG]
    Above: Retracing our steps (anathema to bikers, but necessary at times if you’re really exploring) through a Masai fence which we opened and shut, just like your grand-daddy taught you.

[​IMG]
    Above: Down off that infernal volcano, looking a little less fresh, but hey look, pretty flowers!

It was pushing noon and I thought we could find a spot in a riverbed for a snack and a rest. I should have known better though since we are located at 1.5 degrees South of the Equator, and at noon there are no damn shadows! Still I took us screaming up a wide, packed riverbed, enjoying the rip of the wind and then saw my life flash before my eyes: A wire fence that spans the riverbed had snagged a fallen tree in the last washout and pulled one solitary strand down in the centre of the riverbed… neck height to a biker. I saw it just in time. We cut that thing with Lobo's Leatherman and continued on.

[​IMG]
    Above: Wire garrote over the riverbed has been cut to save somebody’s life down the road.

Giving up on finding proper shade, we kept on for Oldebe, the weird little village in the middle of nowhere with a big rectangular dirt plaza surrounded by closed up tin shacks for a warm Coke under the watchful eye of two dozen villagers. From there, we’d bee-line it for the shortcut track to Little Lake Magadi.

[​IMG]
    Above: In that area, it’s not uncommon to see gerenuk, impala, gazelles, ostrich and zebra. This time around, only cattle and a horny skull-cap

[​IMG]
    Above: 1PM in Oldebe and the beasts of burden get no relief from the burning sun

[​IMG]
    Above: Turning onto the spectacular track to Little Magadi

Discovered earlier this month, the track to Little Magadi is fantastic. It starts out civilized enough on a pretty clear dirt track strewn with stones, but then after veering off into a wide riverbed it descends into a rather unruly stony singletrack through bush tunnels and odd open rubble fields just before you pop out onto the Northern tip of the lake. It’s long, slow, hard riding and it was rather toasty in mid afternoon sun!

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobo making short work of the early bit of track

[​IMG]
    Above: Ripping the riverbed… that’s my dust he’s eating

[​IMG]
    Above: Funky rubble meadows. I’d stop to get a bit of video of Lobo pass, then chase him down. Most of the time I’d wave to him as he found himself dead-ended in the thorns and stones, having missed a turn. Perhaps it’s a perfect analogy for youth… all throttle, no navigation!

[​IMG]
    Above: Getting closer, the bush dwindles and the rocks increase their numbers. The little bodaboda track we follow is a pleasure

[​IMG]
    Above: At last! Arrival at the lakeview tree. Three PM and we were ready for a snack and a rest. A nice shade tree did the trick, but it wasn’t any better at holding up a bike than the typical KTM kickstand so Lobomoto had to revive his 520 from her slumber before he could take a load off himself...

[​IMG]
    Above: Lucky punk. What were your friends doing last Friday at 3PM? You will find that week-day rides are particularly sweet for that very reason.

[​IMG]
    Above: Not surprisingly, despite there being no signs of life anywhere, a Walker, er, a Masai morani appeared out of the ether to stare at us and make little commentitos, even when we closed our eyes for a rest and thoroughly, utterly, completely ignored him... It’s never not annoying, but it’s quite something to think about… that kid was probably just about the same age as Lobomoto… how’s that for juxtaposition?

After our rest, I swore I could hear beers being opened in the distance and I could feel the cool water of the Ewaso Nyiro river lapping at my chin… so we blitzed it. The ride along the lake is amazing. We took in the mud flat on the left and the lake on the right and crushed the rocks on the road in between. A quick rip up the newly graded road to Ngurumani and before we knew it, we were at the campsite where a great huzzzah erupted for Lobo’s arrival and cold beers were pressed into our hands as though we were returning from the crusades, having murdered, er, converted throngs of heathens to our far superior ways! (Alas. Despite my efforts, still many heathens refuse to accept the greatness of the XRR...)

[​IMG]
    Above: Always been green at Little Magadi on my visits… but very green it was this time around

[​IMG]
    Above: That mud flat is muddier than ever this week… bikers beware!

[​IMG]
    Above: Parting shot

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobo seen here as the tip of a dusty arrow heading for Ol Kirimatian

[​IMG]
    Above: The warriors arrive from their harrowing adventure and are greeted with mead and a soothing bath in the river with a dozen maids in waiting... well, beers anyway

[​IMG]
    Above: It’s a damn muddy river… but it makes a fella feel brand new… or was that the beer?

[​IMG]
    Above: The usual camp setup for me is… well, not like this. It was a joy to find a group with grub and drinks awaiting.

[​IMG]
    Above: Also my gigantic 6-person Coleman family tent! My kids, who apparently never left the river for 5 minutes once they arrived, and I would risk it and leave the rain fly off to let us see the stars.

[​IMG]
    Above: Oh, the poor little pup got plum tuckered out. I’m not gonna lie, I was pretty chuffed that my middle-aged ass could wear out an 18 year old after a day of biking! He slept til dinner time then ate the whole pot of food, a catfish from the river, two vervet monkeys and one of his siblings. The rest of us went hungry. Lesson learned!

And that night, the kids watched a movie projected on a tablecloth while the grownups listened to baboons in the distance (not hippos!) and sipped our single malt. It was a great day!

Happy Birthday Lobomoto!

More to come...
    ADVer, dano619, liv2day and 3 others like this.
  2. Osadabwa

Oddometer:
    Following day we were all up with the sun, the birds and the kids… none of which really get the concept of sleeping in I’ve noticed. I felt like a million bucks having reclined upon my 4” foam mattress in a castle of a tent, and was very happy to wait for a more responsible adult to begin making coffee before I made my appearance. In short order, coffee was served, along with egg, bacon and sausage breakfast burritos in hand-made flour tortillas… now that’s service! And shortly thereafter, the smell of sweat and petrol and the roar of engines as Lobomoto and I kitted up and struck out for Shompole conservancy, the mythical southern passage to the Loitas and Lake Natron!

[​IMG]
    Above: Seriously, have you ever seen such a cool camp? The tree monkeys are a bit weird down there though...

[​IMG]
    Above: The kids, just past dawn, already thinking about getting in the river (which they would do at 8 or so and not leave until evening)

Our day’s plan was ambitious and, if I’m honest, fairly certain to fail. I had long ago plotted a track from Mpakase village near Natron up to the Loita Hills, determined to find a way up there that would allow me to flip the proverbial bird to a certain mzungu muckitymuck who shall not be named (Locals call him Pilihp Ykael, or Elohssa for short) who won’t let motorbikes pass on his road. Anyway, I knew it was a long shot but I wanted to see with my own eyes and now I had an 18-year-old to force me to follow through. If I had tried this with Panic, he’d have killed me with his death ray zombie stare, so it was now or never.

Truthfully, it started out promising and there were a few boda tracks that led past a derelict boma or two before taking the inevitable turn for the worse. It was pretty overgrown and at one point, not wanting to have my face shredded by a bush, I put my head way down on the handlebars as I passed under a branch only to look up and find myself heading straight into another bush, much to Lobomoto’s amusement.

[​IMG]
    Above: Still pretty early, we were already sucking our camelbaks dry… at only about 600M in the bottom of the Rift Valley, it’s always toasty

[​IMG]
    Above: The track was rocky always, but baby heads have become my bread and butter… when they turn into bowling balls and bigger, though, it’s only fun in small doses

After maybe half an hour or so of really tough going, I finally called it quits and sent my faithful scout ahead to see what he could see. There were 3 km left on the track I'd plotted and at the pace we were going I figured it’d take him an hour easy to get there and back. It’d be faster to walk, though not in MX boots. So, I parked myself under a tree, doffed my kit, queued up some music on my phone, and was just starting to chill when I heard his engine. Nope. Too many rocks for too many more kilometers and no guarantee of glory at the end. Since we hadn’t even yet reached the start steep bit of the track, it was time to admit defeat.

[​IMG]
    Above: The end of my line. Happy to rest in the shade and wait for the folly of youth to return

[​IMG]
    Above: Which he presently did…. It was just too damn rocky, and we hadn’t even reached the steep bit in the distance.

Task failed successfully (being able to check that unknown track off my to-do-list is priceless, thanks Lobomoto!), we rockhopped back the way we had come and aimed for the shores of Lake Natron on the border of Tanzania where we hoped to meet up with the 4x4s for a picnic and some cold drinks.

[​IMG]
    Above: Surprising nobody, it was just as rocky going down as it had been coming up

[​IMG]
    Above: One downside to riding with young guys… when they drop their bikes (and they do…) they are also quick to pick them up again! Lobomoto had flopped in the rocks, but by the time I got the camera ready, he was up again. My, shall we say… more mature friends… take substantially longer to right a toppled bike.

[​IMG]
    Above: Mpakase, looking down on L. Natron and into Tanzanian airspace

Approaching the lakeshore track, I called up Lobo’s Pa, Patient P, who informed me that the team at Camp Intrepid were still there and the kids were all in the river… It had turned from Camp Intrepid to Limp and Tepid, but it suited everyone just fine. The drive to Natron in a 4x4 is a 2 hour affair one way and it was awful nice to be lazing around by the river. This suited Lobo and I just fine. We would check out the lake ourselves, try one more track I had been meaning to explore and then rip back to camp, hopefully before the beers were gone.

[​IMG]
    Above: The track to Natron is a brilliant, sandy doubletrack with a few herds of Zebra (livelier than the one pictured above right) and gazelle. It heads straight over to the steep escarpment through a dozy village where a few women were washing clothes under the trees. Once again we made an unplanned entry into a foreign country as I was enjoying the riding too much to notice until it was too late that we were in fact in Tanzania! We beat a hasty retreat and came back to Kenyan soil to explore the lakeshore.

[​IMG]
    Above: Beat a quick U-Turn and get back to Kenya before the TZ zombies attack!

The lakeshore is surreal. Birds hang out on their mirror images and the distant horizon wobbles into shimmery nothingness where it kisses the sky. I’m a huge fan of this area… it’s just so damn weird and extreme. As if to punctuate this feeling, as Lobomoto and I approached the edge, we were riding on what looked like dried seaweed and turned out to be millions upon millions of dead and desiccated fish each about as long as a swiss knife. Bizarre. We spent a while in the direct, baking noonday sun admiring the harsh view then decided unanimously to stop riding immediately and go back to camp. Ha! Not a chance, we had to go see about the upper level track I had planned.

[​IMG]
    Above: Fish apocalypse

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobo admiring the view… and peeing, possibly, if I’m not mistaken… The KTM sidestand, again doing absolutely nothing to deserve its name in the soft soil of the lakeshore, requiring a human for support

[​IMG]
    Above: Horizons Unlimited... (wow, that site still exists! LINK)

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobomoto was planning to splash over to that little island and then thought better of it… kind of unclear how deep that toxic water might be. Better to pose for a photo with Mt. Shompole, holding up his bike instead

[​IMG]
    Above: How and when did that tree live?

[​IMG]
    Above: Flamingos… Beautiful and exotic creatures indeed. They will forever conjure the original Miami Vice opening credits and theme music where flamingos feature prominently… and a few other interesting birds as well if you catch my utterly obvious meaning… have a look below

Above: The birds at 0:13 and 0:47 left a big impression on many a young lad from my generation I’d wager!

[​IMG]
    Above: We ain't no Crocket and Tubbs... Looking fresh as a couple of daisies wilting in a convection oven. Where's my linen suit? Someone fetch me a gin and tonic!

Ok, enough sightseeing, it was time to hit a new track. The Nguruman escarpment lower level awaits! We skittered up the rolling rock road, the defunct and burned out original Shompole Lodge, white as a buffalo carcass wasting away in the long grass within view. In no time the track was tight on both sides with thick bush and was so overgrown as to not be able to see what your tyres were rolling on. Clearly nobody comes here often. It was kind of eerie… like maybe we shouldn't be there. I started to think about buffalo and elephant, but pushed on anyway cause, you know, bikers, until I saw a junction that looked like it might yield a viewpoint.

[​IMG]
    Above: Old skull reminding me that while the chances of being killed by buffalo may be slim, they’re never zero.

[​IMG]
    Above: Surprisingly, the track led to a bush campsite with a view over the Lake Shompole dry lake bed and the fancy new lodge being built below. Lovely spot, but I’d rather gargle with petrol than stay there it was so hot.

[​IMG]
    Above: From our vantage point, I could smell the river and the cold beers… and lunch, somewhere to the North… it was time to blast it. No protest from Lobo either, we’d put in a solid effort for one day. It was time to have day-beers and a long swim in a muddy African river!

[​IMG]
    Above: And that’s just what we did. Back at camp, there was chili and cornbread, cold beers, fancy G&Ts (with freaking strawberries in 'em) and that long, brown river of cool goodness.

The evening came and brought the rain. Kids had to abandon their evening viewing of the Lion King so the adults could eat the amazing Karoga that had been prepared. They grumbled for about 3 minutes before conking out. The rest of us didn’t last much longer. An early night for the bikers meant we’d be fresh for another long day!

More to come...
  3. Osadabwa

Oddometer:
    Dawn and a cool breeze rustle the acacia leaves to the sounds of doves and hornbills, bla bla bla… durn kids! Shaaaddaaap!

[​IMG]
    Above: Another rare form of monkey spotted near camp on the third morning. She’s adorable, but very cheeky. Don’t approach with pancakes if you wanna live!

Up. Breakfasted (pancakes, coffee, bacon and sausage oh my). Packed. Petrol. Sweat. Braaaap! Lobo and I were just this side of useless, thinking only about riding. Knowing we’d be more trouble than help, the rest urged us to get the hell out of camp, so we obliged in a flurry of feshfesh. I hoped it wouldn’t be a bad omen, but not 100m from camp, I came around a corner and thawhacked a very sizeable branch on the arm, nearly tossing me from the bike. One might argue it would be worth keeping ones wits about one, especially since it had rained… one must beware the Skid Demon!

[​IMG]
    Above: After a bit of fuel near the bridge, we were off between River and Lake, ripping a little more gingerly than usual owing to the mud that had formed in the night. Usually it was fine, but I didn’t trust it…

[​IMG]
    Above: In a blink we were back in view of Shompole and Natron

[​IMG]
    Above: One more blink to Oloika and pitcher petrol as I hadn't found enough back at the bridge for my liking… (I was Lobomoto’s backup and we weren’t sure of his range... plus I had to give the little guy an advantage, you know, so he could keep up...)

The plan was to expand yet again my ever-growing web of most excellent riding options, my dudes. We’d cut Longomot volcano, hang a leftie, swing up kidogo, try not to ride on the active railroad again (Panic! Never again!), bash a few rocks, slide in a bit of sand and then take the Butt Brothers Farm track milk run North for some grub at Olepolos. Ready? Go!

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobo seen here with a brilliant view of Longomot ahead asking me if his butt looks fat in his riding pants… I swear, kids these days…

[​IMG]
    Above: Longomot track is not as tough as it used to be, but it’s still a blast with lots of rubble and baby heads and a couple of tricky sections. It’s all about the funkiness in there.

[​IMG]
    Above: Emerging from Longomot, just after our run-in with the only proper dickhead of the trip....

* * * Warning! Turn away now if you’d rather preserve the image of the Masai as the stoic keepers of the land you’ve seen in sepia toned movies and read about in books, cause this one breaks with the stereotype. * * *

I’d let Lobo go ahead and was chasing him down. After a few minutes I found him, still astride his bike, with a pair of guys next to a boda, looking livid. I’ve seen this before. Eager young biker having fun connects with boda riders in a tight track just going about their business… boda guys go down, get bruised, maybe a bit scratched up and the mzungu all padded up is fine… not a great look. One guy was so pissed off, I felt sure that was the story here as well. Lobo was protesting a bit, but I was in crisis aversion mode, so I waved him off and addressed the guys in the most saccharine Swahili I could muster while handing the grumpiest buggar some cash to shut him up and calm him down. Which it did. I gestured for Lobo to beat it. I apologised again and followed him.

Only when I caught up to Lobo do I realize I’d been played. Lobo hadn’t hit the guy at all. He’d seen them coming, stopped, and the guy kept coming and bumped into him… lightly too… barely turning either of their handlebars and then adopting the poor, abused, misunderstood, used-to-be-a-fearsome-warrior-woe-is-me routine on my boy here. I, of course, ate it up in the name of a speedy resolution, but if it ever happens again, I swear I’m gonna… why I’m gonna…!

A) Serve the guy a carbon-fiber knuckle sandwich and follow it up with a Sidi Crossfire croissant and a Helmet Headbutt… and then be in a heap of trouble because they’d be waiting next time I pass by…
    B) Do exactly the same thing again and risk this becoming a get-rich-quick-scheme for vampire bullies in search of motorbiker petrol money, or
    C) Something in between…
    If I remember right, you were always supposed to pick C if you didn’t know the right answer. I’ll go with C.

Anyway, that story was long but didn’t take anything from our ride. We were back on the throttle, sliding around hard pack in the blink of an eye. Weirdly though, we did also pass what looked like a little Suzuki that had recently been abandoned and was full of bullet holes… maybe this is Masai gangster territory? Anyway, I managed to connect the dead volcano to the railroad track and it was fantastic. Seriously rocky stuff, we bashed along sharpish for an hour or so, crisscrossing the railroad until the track turned sandy and fast again.

[​IMG]
    Above: The Magadi Soda railway line… trains aren’t frequent, but I’d discourage riding for long down the middle anyway… trust me, it’s freaking scary

[​IMG]
    Above: When the track was a track it was a rocky track, when the track wasn’t a track it was also a rocky track

[​IMG]
    Above: This U-turn's for the ladies…

[​IMG]
    Above: Only one week earlier, we’d have been a pair of sad sacks in this black cotton stuff... eh, Wry?

[​IMG]
    Above: Out on the South Side of Olegorsailie, a proper Ostrich party was under way… It was a sausage fest though

[​IMG]
    Above: This bit was a blast

Reaching the Mi-46/GSU road, we gunned it toward the Butt Brother’s farm track, or somewhere near it. Things there have changed a ton. We came upon huge earth works that honestly befuddle the imagination. It was like a dirt maze for 4x4s or something… only thing I can think is fish farm… probably the last time I’ll get close enough to see it. It’ll be fenced soon…

[​IMG]
    Above: Taking the high-road above the farm, these massive earth works… no idea what it’s going to be.

Out on the dusty pan, I paused to have Lobo do a flat-out ride-by for the video at the end. He took a couple of passes letting the 520 scream. Ready to go, I take off in the lead and he’s right at my hip. I gun it and he’s still on my hip! I slam on the brakes and call him back for a drag race! Of course neither of us really know how to do a drag race, but we counted down and dumped the clutch. Wheels spinning, a hellish cloud of dust no doubt roaring above us, that little punk slowly pulled away! He got a few meters ahead of me until we were both pinned in top gear, but sure enough, the little sh*, er, Lobo whooped me fair and square. Of course, I wasn’t really trying that hard, and I have a family to think about, and I’m easily 10kg heavier (all muscle mass), plus there’s the weight of the tank to consider (remember I filled up as a reserve for Lobo), and I think the wind was coming from my side (they call that a Nor-easter) so… you know, I guess technically I won, right? It was a tremendous victory. The best drag race victory ever! (4 years of watching Trump taught me something useful after all.)

[​IMG]
    Above: Lobomoto giving it the beans in the pan

From there, to Olepolos for kuku choma. Lovely way to end the ride, but wait! If you haven’t learned yet, the ride isn’t over til it's over! On the way back, the smallest little rain storm decided to grace our exit point from the valley, leaving behind some red clay that was absolutely the most slippery stuff you’ve ever seen. I quickly saw my ass in a comically slow low-sider, but Lobo doesn’t carry a camera, so there’s no real proof. Anyway, it'd be fake news. Luckily, from there it dried up again and we rolled home unscathed.

[​IMG]
    Above: Olepolos for a beer and kuku! Did we really get here in 4 hours?

[​IMG]
    Above: We’re not like the other girls…

[​IMG]
    Above: Hiding under the railroad as the rain comes down… just minutes before my graceful but unexpected dismount

[​IMG]
    Above: At the petrol station, the KTM’s side stand decides to try something new, you know, see how it feels, and lets the 520 fall into the fuel pump… and that’s our parting shot at KTM for this trip

Lobo, happy birthday my man! Best of luck with everything, and remember to always take cash, carry spare oil and keep your rubber puncture-free!

And as ever, here's some moving pictures of the ride

Til the next one
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks; enjoyed that.
    Osadabwa likes this.
  5. ouagawalton

ouagawalton n00b

Oddometer:
    Patient P here. Thanks my friend for giving this kid the best 18th birthday ever...and he gets one of your famous write ups for his scrap book. Here’s to more adventures next time!
    dano619 and Osadabwa like this.
  6. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    You kept me up late again, but it was worth it.
    Osadabwa likes this.
  7. Osadabwa

Oddometer:
    Well I was up late pulling it together, so we're even!
    eaglescan likes this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol2 :lol2 :rofl

I have enjoyed the wit you've created on here many times @Osadabwa, but this is frickin' fantastic man. So completely apropos.

Good on ya for showing Lobos the tracks and taking him out for a true rip - what a treat to pass along to the next group coming up.

Crazy about the damn wire across the river bed, was that intentionally set that way, or just a fence that bit the dust and ended up stringing a wire across at that height? Seriously shitty if it was intentional, but bad if it was just a result of weather causing the issue too.

BWAHAHAHAHA.

What a great way to bring in the 18th cycle around the sun. Again, good on you for showing him the pig way and leading him on the tracks you've abused. Thoroughly enjoyed the first day and look forward to seeing what you hooligans got up to during day 2.
    dano619 likes this.
  9. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very enjoyable
    commentary especially
    Osadabwa likes this.
  10. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Very cool stuff
    Osadabwa likes this.
  11. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had me almost spittin my coffee out this morning, cracking up.....your funny, you must have gone to funny school!! Thanks for the great report, look forward to the next one!! PS...you did win that race!! :)
    Osadabwa likes this.
  12. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the report, pictures and commentary.
    That area looks pretty secluded despite being not that far from NRB.

Lobo is lucky to have a riding mentor like you.

While only a minor kickstand issue.....

IMG_2023.jpg
    dano619 and Osadabwa like this.
  13. blues bob

blues bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bwana O, you rule! Another terrific RR from Masai land. Yours are my favorite. My memory has gone since I left Nairobi in 95, so I found a map of Kenya/Tanzania, so I can follow along. Does the Baringo lake still stink from all that flamingo doodoo? Here in Salida, Co, the riding is good, but nothing as open and free as there. Throttle on, and watch out for those 2 inch thorns. I'm surprized you don' get more flats, sorry, hope I didn't jinx ya.