Adv motos vs adv-touring motos

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Kommando, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that another class of motos may be developing, as adv motos are being offered with more dirt bias than in recent past years. Bikes like the T700, 790Adv-R, 790Adv-R Rally, Africa Twin, Desert X, etc., seem to me to be in a different class than the big GS12xx, DL10xx, etc.
  2. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems winter has arrived! That said, having had an '04 Vstrom 1000 and now a '17 Africa Twin, I can definitely agree that they aren't in the same class. Can't say much as to the GS or other similar bikes as I haven't ridden them. I'm glad they're making more offroad oriented bikes like this. I like them.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So a new mini-beast segment?
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Most who were riding serious adv dirt type of routes had moved over to lighter machines awhile ago anyway.

The big fat pig adv sales just continued for street riders /tourers who love look / utility or those who got foolishly caught up the marketing & hype that bigger is better.

And then they finally rode off-road and 20 minutes later the big pig is upside down in a ditch.

I suspect with this new crop of mini-beasts hitting the market and new ones in the next few years, we will see a rash of low mileage beasts go up for sale or linger on the show room.

Mega Beasts are going to be the Hummers of their time...why would you want something that huge off road?