ADV Photographers - Which camera type? Premium P&S or Mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Herbivore63, May 1, 2013.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    For me, it takes longer to get my phone, get a pic, then get it back in the bag and get going, than it does my camera. With the camera, I don't have to take off a glove and then work it back on.
  2. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK Gurus.
    I have narrowed it down to two DSLRs
    Nikon D3400 and Canon EOS Rebel T6

I wanted an entry level DSLR with WIFI or Bluetooth (wife want's to post pix to social media without downloading them to PC).

So, the Nikon has more DPIs, but slightly less user friendly Bluetooth and is about $150 more, which is the top of my range.

What say you? :ear
  3. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    How much are they and what stores are you finding the prices? Looking around the Nikon seems to be only 50 dollars more. And at that price I'd buy it... I might have Nikon in my name but I actually had a Canon with a similar sensor until last week the G1X, and the D3400 is a lot like my D7200:

Screenshot_20170331-130632~2.png

(The T6 is also known as the 1300D in other markets but it's gotten the hand me down sensor from the 700D, and it traces back to the 7D which came out in 2009 so they've gotten A LOT of life out of it)

So shooting both of them I can tell you that at least on the sensor level both can produce great images but the Nikon will give you more wiggle room to mess up and/or let you shoot in more demanding circumstances. And while not Earth shattering it is a very noticeable difference especially if you ever shoot RAW since if you under expose with the Nikon you can pull up the shadows easily while the Canon will give you a bunch of noise.

So for example you might be shooting a mountain range on a partly cloudy day, with the Canon more of the clouds will be blown out to white. And you can shoot in roughly half the light and get the same level of noise with the Nikon.

Also how technical are you looking to get with your shooting? Especially with the controls are you going to shoot (or planning in the future) to shoot manually? Because if so I might have another camera to put on your list.
  4. tomski74

Oddometer:
    I am leaning towards Nikon, too. Was looking on Amazon. A price of a kit with two lenses plus some extra junk was $596 for D3400 and $550 for T6.
    I do shoot manual a lot. Even with my phone.
    Here's one from last weekend with Galaxy S7
    [​IMG]

Sent from my fancy new phone
  5. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Well then the Olympus E-M10 mkII might be something to think about. It has 2 control dials to help with that and tons of customization... If anything too much :lol3

It's image quality is better than the Canon but not up to the Nikon's. It is a mirrorless camera though which has it's ups and downs. I can go into more detail if you'd like.

Screenshot_20170331-130516~2.png
  6. tomski74

Oddometer:
    ^^ Thanks!
    I think I'll do D3400. I like the SLR format. I was looking at Sony Alphas, because I have a few Minolta lenses, but I hear issues with dust and I will use it on my moto trips, so don't want to risk it.
    I will report when I get it.
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Got out for the longest ride yet this year on our new V-Strom. 450 kms is not a bad ride.

Bike's very nice to ride but the tires and seat suck. Forced me to stop and smell the roses, my butt hurt so much. Seat Concept cover and foam on order.

[​IMG]

Lots of picture opportunities. (All taken with Olympus E-M1 Classic with 12-40 2.8 Pro lens)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    USAIR likes this.
  8. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a Sony RX100. I have it set for jpeg/raw and superior auto. The owner's manual isn't much help. I have been watching some Youtube videos trying to familiarize myself with the camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the Sony's menu structure is hard to navigate also. So, many selections. Why are you shooting raw + jpg? That must eat up a lot of card space. I shoot just raw on my rx100 mk2. It's a remarkable camera though, esp since there are not many with so much as the rx that you can put in your pocket
  10. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes...raw + jpg. Should I just be shooting in raw?
  11. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    If you're going to edit them all in a program like Lightroom then yes. Having JPEGs is helpful if you want to quickly post them and don't care as much about the image quality.

Memory cards and hard drives are so cheap now that if you ever used the JPEGs I wouldn't worry much about it.
    philp38 likes this.
  12. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    what he said ^^^ still, if you're just doing one or the other (process or post), why bother with both formats. I always process, so I only shoot raw, unless it is a non critical picture to be posted, then I'll shoot a jpg only. RAW files exist to be adjusted, so you might think they don't have the "snap" of the jpgs, which, as I understand it, undergo some processing in the camera before you see it.

The short answer is: If you are doing "post processing," meaning loading them into a dedicated darkroom-like program---adobe LightRoom or adobe PhotoShop, then you want to shoot RAW. If you're shooting family pics and some vacation pics and will not be playing/adjusting (with) them on the computer, other than to view them or email etc, then jpg is fine, imo. I think there are different resolutions with the jpg choice on the sony? if so shoot the finest one and see how that works out for you. As you're learning, and the sony IS complex, just shoot jpg and go back to that issue later, when you know the camera better. But, as above, it's not a big deal, no "mistake" is being made.

That is a FINE little camera though
    philp38 likes this.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I record in both JPG and ORF (RAW) on my Olympus cameras because I love using the built in camera effects I can apply after the picture is taken, but the effects only work on raw files.

With raw I can do multiple exposures/composites of pictures taken months apart, or apply any and/or all the artistic filters.

Here's a few examples of composites.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And the artistic effects.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I then transfer the images I want directly to my iPhone and upload from there to online albums or Tapatalk. I hardly ever use my computer to edit raw files anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9Realms and philp38 like this.
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    And a couple more artistic filter examples.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

philp38 likes this.
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Just a note for anyone transferring their images to their phones. If you ever need to do more involved editing like selectively brightening an area or fixing the perspective try out snapseed. It's pretty simple but surprisingly powerful, if you're just posting online it's a great choice.

It's not a replacement for Lightroom and Photoshop by any means but if I want to get something up ASAP it's my new goto. Plus it's free which doesn't hurt!

Here's a cellphone shot I took on Friday:

IMG_20170609_183316354_HDR.jpg

And after editing with snapseed:

IMG_20170609_183314451_HDR-01.jpeg
    Emmbeedee likes this.
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Lightroom and Photoshop, I got very tired of the monthly fee to use LR, so I bought Affinity Photo for $49, and now I don't need to pay monthly for something I never use. I can continue to never use Affinity, safe in the knowledge it's not costing me any more.

Just kidding. I will use it for those very special images... someday.

17. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Model?
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    E-M1 and E-M5-II. But many of the others also have similar capabilities. I had an E-PL2 that did the same.

19. Jager

Jager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Photography has marched in lockstep with motorcycling as my other great passion. Been doing it a long time.

Fond recollections of my old Canon AE-1, back in the day. It always traveled well on those old bikes. And those lovely Kodachrome slides it served up still, to this day, bring back a flood of memories.

The campsite alone at Fancy Gap that beautiful, cold, October evening, hours before I would awaken, sick as a dog. Or the bike trip to Daytona in '79, the stolen images in the topless bar a stark counterpoint to the bright, sunlit shots from the beach and the speedway.

Down the years, the cameras changed. Getting better, just like the bikes. I took a Nikon F4 on my solo trip cross-country jaunt, the pro-pack of Provia 100 ensconced at the bottom of my tank bag insisting upon careful shot selection. Pictures of the north rim of the Grand Canyon after a hurried, cold, dusty run to get there before dark. Of El Capitan on another darkness-falling eve - a mostly happenstance shot because the real reason I stopped was to put on my electric vest. Of the Motel 6 in Tucamcari and the breathless woman who rang my phone. And the slightly out-of-focus shot of me, by a friendly passerby, on Highway 1, looking out over the Pacific.

The Nikon F5 went with me up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway more times than I can remember. The 70-200/2.8 zoom was always there, taking up lots of space. But it was the 24-70/2.8 that did yeoman duty. Zooms, the good ones, weren't the sucky things they used to be.

And then there was the trip where the Nikon Coolpix 950 went in the tank bag with the F5 and its pro zooms and gathered a quick digital image to go with each transparency those Nikkors rendered. And so it wasn't a surprise that just a few years later a D3 was doing the business. Same lenses, but now with a twist. From the top of Mt. Washington, the air suddenly cold and sharply clear. Of the distant dirt track in northern Maine where I went lock-to-lock more than once on the old GS. Of the hotel by the ocean and the midnight golf cart ride, the one where my buddy Jim finally bedded the girl.

For the last twenty-odd years it's mostly been Leica M's. Usually, two bodies - one black and white, one color. Just like back in the day. One'll have a fast 35mm prime; the other an even faster 50mm. And a tripod with an Arca-Swiss ball head in the pannier.

You don't need a fancy camera, of course. Most my friends are perfectly content with their smartphones. A good camera won't get you great pictures any more than a great word processor will get you a good book.

But a good camera, wielded well, will give you something you can't get anywhere else in this world.
    Albie likes this.
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    It's not just the cameras that have improved over the years. The lenses have also. The days of having to spend 2 or 3 times what a good camera body costs to get a decent quality lens are behind us. The technological advances have made creating good quality glass much less expensive, and easier. Todays kit lenses are much, much better than those old kit lenses your AE-1 came with.
    Jim K. likes this.