ADV Photographers - Which camera type? Premium P&S or Mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Herbivore63, May 1, 2013.

1. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    #3 is my favorite...
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Same here. 1 is my second choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
  4. UncleLimpy

UncleLimpy let's get lost

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1498450603078.jpg IMG_20170224_152407_697.jpg

I think you'd be surprised how far cellphones have come... one is taken on a Samsung gs7, the other on a Sony a7. if you don't know which is which, and have to think about it for more than a moment, that should speak volumes.
    JayElDee likes this.
  5. UncleLimpy

Oddometer:
    although it does seem as though one of them compresses better than the other :dunno
  6. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Yeah on the bottom image the sky has a bunch of noise and the compression isn't nice to it, BUT that's on a laptop for instagram or FB where most people will be seeing them on a phone it wouldn't be an issue at all.

I've had this happen to me a few times messing around with cell pics but I mostly put em up for fun and if for some reason I ever did want prints they are more forgiving to noise than a screen.
  7. UncleLimpy

Oddometer:
    I think if I put it through lightroom I could kill the noise, but uncompressed through this website you simply don't see it. Top pic is pretty blocky too :dunno
  8. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Can you explain what you mean by noise and compressed wrt to what I'm seeing? I think I know what youre talking about, but it's about knowing the language and refining my understanding. Kinda like calling wine "grapy" instead of "heavy fruit" or " "vinegary " instead of "bright acidity". It's about achieving a level of clarity thru proper terminology sorta deal so if you don't mind helping a layman out it'd be greatly appreciated.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Noise is all the digital noise (the speckles) in the sky particularly in the second image.
  10. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    No worries. So noise is just the graininess of an image and should be relatively uniform with it just increasing in areas of shadow. (JPEG) Compression will take out the details of complex areas and in extreme cases will get blocky.

Another one to be aware of is noise reduction and when used heavy handedly this will take out all the details and leave you with a really smooth but artificial looking image.
  11. zzzak

zzzak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread, as someone who vaguely remembers taking my first roll of film around 1960 I have had many many cameras since then consisting of Leicas and Nikons mostly, my current pair are a Nikon D 5000 and a Lumix TZ-10 which are both excellent cameras as most are these days so I won't comment on them individually as they are now a bit old and out of favor compared to the newer models that seem to be endless but in reality are not really any better, in my opinion there is little that they can do now to improve cameras so they now give them gimmicks and for the average end user the comparisms are essentially meaningless due to the stated reasons however there is one essential accessory that every biker should have and that is an 'R' strap, this lets the camera sit on your hip with the lens facing rearward, to take a photo pick the camera up and shoot then just let it go and it will drop back to its position without any problem, this allows those of you with cruise control or a throttle lock to take shots on the move without even slowing down, I've used it with SLR's but it should work just as well with compacts, also as a side benefit it renders the camera almost invisible to the casual onlooker, I once went through a museum taking shots (no flash) without being observed, anyway here's a demo and heres a couple of typical pix taken on the open road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    9Realms and rindolphus like this.
  12. BkADV

BkADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey guys im new to the camera world so want some advice

I want to get a camera I can stow away easily, shoot picture with minimal effort and little post processing on my computer/laptop while also taking great low light pictures along with nice panning videos as well as night lapses

I want to take this to many deserts i plan to visit like gobi, sahara, skardu, thar etc

Currently I am trying to snipe a rx100 make 3 model on ebay for around 300 dollars so yeah this is my budget and obviously I would love to get a nice used camera for this price so I can get good specs

if there is a camera for used price or similar technology thats more modern, well is there? the g7x mark ii looks tempting with its modern add ons, a bit expensive as its new but maybe I can squeeze in something

but I still think rx100 make 3 seems like a good cam if i can snag it for 300

shot on my Pixel phone

adv2.jpg
    9Realms and browneye like this.
  13. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO, the technology "upgrades" on the RXs has been significant, but not deal breakers. If the 3 does what you want...I've been VERY happy with my mk2. If you do get the 3, I'd recommend the leather case for it. I am not a camera-in-the-case guy, but for the abuses of motorcycle travel it is a very practical purchase. My "other" camera is a Nikon d810. No case for it, it's naked, but the sony travels in its case. I have never missed a pic having to deal with the case. They all have a panorama mode, and do video. At least the mk2 does NOT do time lapses, and I wish it did.
    BkADV likes this.