1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Adv. Rider Comming to South Africa

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by SRG, Jan 2, 2006.

1. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    LITO et. al.

I am SRG of this list and I am comming (w/ wife, parents, and inlaws!) to South Africa for 3 weeks in March. We will be in Capetown March 1 - 5 and then driving to Hermanus, Tsitsikamma, Colchester, Port St. Johns, Kariega game park, and Addo game park (in that order) over the following days/weeks with a final stop in Jo'berg March 18 - 20. Obviously, much of the trip is already planned/booked but I would welcome any suggestions/tips for stuff to see or do (esp. in the Adv. spirit) along the way. Any potential meetings w/ any of you would be welcome as well. One thing I would really like to do is get on a dirt bike over there for at least a little Adv'ing - anyone know of a short term rental or guided day trip business along the way?

Anyone need something special from here (USA) that is difficult to get or too expensive there that I could reasonably bring for you?

Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

SRG
    '02 KTM 640 Adv
    '03 KTM 450 EXC
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Welcome,
    Maybe LITO and the boys can assist with something in the Cape, the rental market here is very limited, the main rental options tend to be for the more "touring" ADV,s such as 1150 / 1200GS or 650 Dakar,s and organised tours.
    I will investigate if any short tours are on in that period. Otherwise we will see you in Jo,burg.

Welshman
  3. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

O.K. the rental market is not as bad as I thought, but my contacts are limited to the BMW side, I will look at others later.

Try one of these sites for info.
    www.karoo-biking.de
    www.samatours.co.za
    www.motoberlin.co.za

They contain a fair amount of info and some are represented both in the Cape and further North.

Regards

Welshman
    :clap :clap
  4. f650gs

f650gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Hey man,

Havent read this thread in quite some time, so feel free to drop me a pm.

I have some ideas for you, and meeting up would only be a pleasure. I can advise you nicely in person on routes to take etc. By then, my foot should have healed... :eek1 so I can take you personally too.

Mate on that bringing something over.. I have an idea or two, if we chat via pm, I can help ya.

Always welcome an AdvRider.... :wink::wink::wink:

ps: I know Karoo Biking will be super, but be prepared for it to be spendy. Also, the most popular form of rental down here in the Cape is the BMW, so I hope youre ok with that.
  6. shark_za

shark_za Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Hey, LITO

Maybe he can bring you some spares for the Katoom, you will probably need them by then.:evil :evil :rofl :clap

Welshie
  8. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Sounds good to me great option,
    Us GS riders tend to forget there are other options (the 1200GS is the biggest selling Bike here), but as I say the GS options are more (I think) but tend to be more Tour orientated.

Have a look at www.bmw-motorrad.co.za they have a section on tours including one by gsadventures to the Kruger park in March but it probably will not fit your itinerary.

Welshman:D
  9. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    and..... while the BMW tours are great and all that, they are flipping expensive.... remember R12K to Angola, you get to pay for your own juice, and permits and you get to sleep in a tent along the way with a night or two in a semi decent place?

nee man, thats just daylight robbery.
  10. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Morning LITO,
    Agreed the Angola trip was expensive to us residents, but if you look at the logistics it was not a simple tour in an established area. Numbers were limited and someone must pay for the expedition leaders etc. Jan was on the trip for about 3 weeks if I remember correctly.
    If I look at the exhorbitant rates charged by operators for "normal" tourist trips to places like the Okavango or even the Kruger Park, the rates are not OTT unless you are a "local" like us.

Welshie :clap :clap :ear :ear
  11. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Afternoon Welshie - yes, all good points. Comparing it other tours helps make it seem more sensible and I am ok with that.

Just as an ordinary guy on the dirt street, I cant imagine spending R12K for starters to go somewhere where I can go for "free" if I go with my mates. I have good and very capable riding buddies (some teach with Jan) and the extra cost of R12K would be missing if we all went together. We could probably spend R1K for all the phone calls/faxes, spend some time on the net and chatting with local guys who have done it, get names and numbers and do it all ourselves.

I reckon that tour must have cost almost R20K at the end of the day? Perhaps a bit less. But dayam.. dit was erg vir ons okies van die plaas af.
  12. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    SRG, here in Durban we have "Alfie Cox Adventure Sport" who rents out 640 Adventures at about R 700 per day if I remember correctly. They deliver anywhere in the country too. If you need, I can put you in contact with them. You are not planning to come to Durban, so you will unfortunately miss the best riding in SA..... Let us know if there is anything I can arrange for you here.
  13. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    Hey you are gonna love it here ,lots of great places ,great looking women , an prolly the best mass produced cheap beer anywhere in the world imho.

ahhh i have a big favour to ask , any chance of bringing a couple of the ADV rider stickers with you? i cant get myself to pay the ridiculous mail charges for a cheap sticker, i am sure the local ZA lads on this site would be more n happy to pay the full price for them with a couple of ales as well.

cheers
  14. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

SHEESH,
    What a brilliant Idea Grue, I take back all I have said about you, well most of it (we will have to watch LITO if he gets hold of them, watch the mark up).
    Can we quickly think of numbers, I want 2, I havent checked are there size choices, no smutty responses please.
    Good to see this thread is still alive, it was getting very quiet.
    I am avoiding that wonderfull beer at the moment, trying to get this sveldt body back under the 125kg mark!:freaky

cheers

Welshie
  15. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    I'll take 2 as well so we up to 4

As for your burgeoning body ,drink less beer , more water and save petrol by pushing the GS :evil its easy :rofl

An def ,,LITO would charge us more than if we flew to the states ourselves :lol3
  16. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    So long as your weight remains under your IQ you will ok sir
  17. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Can I pick the units???

Welshie

:clap :freaky :rofl

Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.
  18. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Anybody else noticed, SRG seems to have gone missing from his own thread?

Welshie

When we are born we are naked, wet, hungry, and we get smacked on our arse. From there on in, life gets worse
  19. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

Not to worry, I'm still here. I will definitely bring a stack of ADV stickers. Thanks for all the suggestions so far and the offers of futher assistance. As far as actually geting on a bike while I'm there the best opportunity would seem to be on the 10th/11th of March while we are in Port St. John's. The other possibility is when we go to Addo game park - Matyholweni Camp on 15/16/17 of March. Realisticly, the best I will really be able to do is escape for one of the above days and ride around locally.

One other thing one of you may be able to help us with is - we are having trouble getting in touch with the Umngazi River Bungalows place in Port St. John's. I also understand the place is popular and my not have room for us even if we can get ahold of them. Anyone have a suggestion on an alternate plan in that general area? The dates would be the nights of 9/10/11 of March - party of 4.

Thanks,

SRG
  20. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    SAdly i cannot help you with alternate places , but have to say there are many lil coves and prime holiday places along that coast .. so i am sure you wont have a problem finding a place , its out of school holidays as well .. Port edward, port francis, kenton on sea etc etc , all places along the coast.

Wekend of the 17th of march is a big rally in mossel bay ... if you into that kinda thing , pack a tent , beer an stay over the weekend ,,its the cheapest accommodation you will find along the coast...

Thanks for the decals :clap

cheers