1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Adv. Rider Comming to South Africa

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by SRG, Jan 2, 2006.

1. GSGIRL

GSGIRL Neither here nor there

Oddometer:
    international sales for a company that does rfid prducts used in hospitals.
  2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Like we say in the local Himba language: More is nog n dag

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  3. kejago

kejago Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer:
    And African hospitals can use such advanced technology?? :eek1
    The other question: Do South African hospitals have enough stuff to stick RFID tags on? :deal I read the local news in SA...

:D
  4. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    plenty of what we are sticking the tags on...babies
    it's been interesting.
  5. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    Beers on Sunday nite anyone?

Finally things seem to be going smoothly and I can relax a bit now.

I am going to try and so a bit of shopping on Sunday but thought if anyone wants to have beers and some eats on Sunday nite then maybe I could see how the Northern Hemisphere ADVriders compare to the Southern Hemisphere ADVriders.

PM me.

Staying in Sinoville and have no car.
  6. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Now, now!!

- Did you remember who did the first successful heart transplant in the world? I know, he lived for just 10 days, bit still.
    - Do you know how sought after the South African trained doctors and other medical staff are across the world?
    - Interns from all over the world travel to Soweto hospitals to get trauma experience (OK, maybe not something to brag about)
    - Public hospitals in South Africa compares well with state hostpitals in the USA and the private facilities are on par with anywhere else - personal experience.

Maybe you should read different news articles to get a different perspective...
  7. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    Daniel. I agree with most of what you say. However, I have to say it was quite an experience to go into the hospital that I was in. I was told it was the worse of the worst. Since this is my 6th trip to SA, I pretty much knew what to expect except for 2 things...the medical waste lying about and the monkeys. I HATE monkeys. They creep me out. THis was a public, poor, black SA hospital:

Medical waste (red bag) lying about between the wards:

[​IMG]

Monkey picking through garbage right outside of the maternity ward:

[​IMG]

I know not all hospitals are like this. And I was really uncomfortable being in the hospital, but on Friday I worked with the head admin of the hospital and the head nurses. It made it all worthwhile. They were so happy to have us there because we were there to help them. The nurses were enthusiastic and they all wanted to be around me.

Move over Oprah & Bono, you 2 are not the only ones doing good things in South Africa.

[​IMG]

And when I am not working in the hospital, I get to work out of my most amazing Guest House office:

[​IMG]

I love this country.
  8. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Grace, I love my country. I am proud of it. It is one of the most amazing places on earth, just a pity it is in Africa.

It is a great mixture of old and new, of first world and third world, of forefront of technology and then monkeys that eat medical waste, of prosperity and the most horrible poverty you can imagine yourself. Of beautiful people like yourself that go there to help, of bastards like myself who are selfish and only think of ourselves, put our tails between our legs and look for economic survival elsewhere.

I want to cry when I remember the beaches and flora of tropical northern Natal, the beauty and wide open skies of the Free State, ruggedness of the Karoo, the Drakensberg, the exquisite beauty of the Western Cape and the lovely people that are friendly with such a great positive attitude - the rainbow nation.
    I also want to cry because of all the people dieing of aids, the violence against women, the inter and intra race violence, the racism, the need for flamethrowers on your car (in some ares), the poverty in some areas, locking everything up, the paranoia, the lack of work for experienced people, people the country needs because of a totally unexpected economic growth rate of 5% last year. I cry becaue of people like Nelson Mandela commiting atrocities against his own people - the worst possible terrorism you can think about.
    That is probably what appeals to the country, the extremes, the attitude of the people, the beauty of the country. Many people come (go?) and visit and see a few game parks, the "big five" and do not really experience the country.
    I laud you for digging deeper and I believe you are getting a lot more our of it than any one else will. As you said, "Move over Oprah and Bono" - many people do it not for publicity, you are doing it out of of love for the country. I thank you for doing that.

I would have loved to join you for a few beers last night, but could not make it. I just had a couple here in Los Angeles - 10 hours later.
  9. kejago

Oddometer:
    Daniel,

I wasn't being too serious. Did you notice the smilie?
  10. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    No, I did not see the smiley.

Just a little bit of a touchy point. People running the country down without knowing anything about it.

No problem.
  11. kejago

Oddometer:
    I am actually South African too. I am still very much in touch with what is happening in SA through friends and family, and of course, the doom and gloom news reports. Ever really see the newspapers and stuff reporting on all the good news? So, all you hear is the negative stuff. I am very aware of the virtues of SA... and its bad side.

As for the hospital / medical stuff: I spent a fair amount of my military service in Soweto. I also did many guard and security details at Baragwanath hospital. I have see plenty, believe me. My uncle was admited to Joburg Gen earlier this year for cancer. They asked the family that if we could, please bring our own bedding, and meals. Needless to say, we arranged for him to be transferred to a private clinic. 1st world vs 3rd world. Thats just the reality of the situation in South Africa today. South African paramedics are highly sought after because they get to handle so many rough cases. And as for docs, the training is good. No doubt about that.
  12. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:

Kewl!

How did you land up in France? People normally go to the UK, Australia/New Zealand or Northern America. I moved to California 8 years ago and enjoying it.
  13. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    Daniel, I'd love to be known for my philanthropic nature, but the reality is that I am in that hopistal for one reason and one reason only, it's part of my job and I get paid right now to sell into hospitals. I am sorry to shatter your romantic view of me, but that is the truth. Having said that, I did feel great when I saw the enthusiasm of the head nurses. But in reality, I am here becuase of my paycheck.

I have over the last 10 yrs been paid to come here and do business. Has it given me great understanding and appreciation for this country, absolutely. But in the end, I always collected my paycheck for being here on an expense account.

Here is what I did today, since I could not convince the guys to finish the install:

[​IMG]
  14. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    I don't know if Bono offering up american tax dollars qualifies as a good thing :rolleyes but its the thought that counts.
  15. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    Go back to the other forums. No one invited you here. :rolleyes
  16. shark_za

shark_za Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lewks like the effalump sanctuary there by the dam. A good few of the JHB/PTA DS routes start in that area.
    For one there are canals that lead from the bottom of the dam wall into the farming areas to the N and NW of there, good riding along the service roads.
    Also look at the De Wildt Cheetha thing, that whole area is enduro riders heaven, little lesotho refering to the roof of africa.
  17. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    Couldn't get into the De Wildt Cheetah farm as they were all booked up. It's a great place, been there before. The one with the wild dogs is especially cool.

Also passed thru Hartbeespoort dam. Who's got the yello R12GS? Saw it parked there before passing over the dam. :ear
  18. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Could be anybody, the market here is "strange" the highest selling bike in S.A. in 2005 was the 1200GS! They sold about 860 I think, the next was the 1000 Honda Blade at just over 500, BMW had 4 of the top 10 models. One of the main reasons being the poor after sales service by most other manufacturers.

Welshie :clap
  19. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    Went to Jo'burg for a lunch meeting today. Saw loads of 650's on the M1. You boys are crazy, not sure I would be comfie riding around here. Those @*&$^ taxis :eek1 . After riding in my part of the world, got kinda spoiled.

Passed by the BMW dealer in Jo'burg, desperately wanted to go in and get my fix, but not sure how my local partner would have taken it. "Hmmmm, guys, do you mind pulling into the BMW Dealer so I can put something really good between my legs for a few minutes":lol3
  20. GSGIRL

Oddometer:
    Thanks boys for a wonderful stay in your country. My meeting next week got cancelled and I realized there was no reason for me to stay any longer so I headed out Thurs nite.

Back home and happy to see my CroMag & my Cat! I love to travel, but the best part of it is always coming home!

Cheers!