ADV Rider style shop in East TN

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Minimike, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Minimike

Minimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klim Women's Alpine bibs, all sizes. Ladies, these things WORK!

-GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY®
    -GORE-TEX® THREE-LAYER PERFORMANCE SHELL TECHNOLOGY
    -KLIM’S EXCLUSIVE SEAT DRY TECH CONSTRUCTION
    -EMBOSSED/TEXTURED GORE-TEX® SHELL FABRIC
    -HIGHLY BREATHABLE
    -WOMEN-SPECIFIC AGGRESSIVE PATTERNING
    -HIGH COMFORT WAIST MAXIMIZES COVERAGE AND COMFORT
    -MAX FLOW VENTILATION: 2 SIDE ZIPS
    -KNEE ARTICULATION
    -MAX VISIBILITY 3M SCOTCHLITE™ REFLECTIVE MATERIAL
    -FULL LENGTH WRAP-AROUND SIDE ZIPS
    -2 EXTERNAL ZIPPERED HAND POCKETS
    -SIDE WAIST STRETCH PANELS
    -ELASTIC WAIST STRETCH
    -INTEGRATED RAIN BOOT GAITER DESIGN
    -PANT HOLD-DOWN CINCH
    -YKK® ZIPPERS THROUGHOUT (WATER RESISTANT IN EXPOSED AREAS)
    -INTERNAL COMFORT LINER
    -REMOVABLE ANATOMICALLY SHAPED KNEE/SHIN PADS
    -NON-RESTRICTIVE GUSSETING
    -NON-SLIP ADJUSTABLE SUSPENDERS
    -KILL SWITCH D-RING
    -EMBROIDERED LOGOS

---[​IMG]
  2. Minimike

Oddometer:
    Ride in, try gear on.

Then, ride the Cherohala Skyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or, go for a ride in the National Forest. IT'S OPEN!

[​IMG]
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in the shop this past Thursday. Wish I needed something to buy. Can't pass through the area without stopping and perusing.

The pumpkin roll at Tellico Grains was excellent.

[​IMG]

Jamie
  4. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Just packed a box of Fandango and Diablo tank bags for ya, Mike!
    They get picked up by the truck in 1/2 hour...

Thanks for supporting GiantLoopMoto.com!
  5. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    MIke can you explain to me the differences between the Klim Bad Lands, Latitude 840 and Overland Pants. Of course there is a large price difference.

BadLands- 3 layer gore tex, D3o armor, Retail $649

Latitude 840- 2 layer goretex, 840 Codura construction, CE armor, Retail $499

Overland- 3 layer Gortex, D3o armor, 840D in high impact areas. Retail $379

I prefer a more durable pant like I assume the 840 is. Is the Latitude 840 more durrable than BOTH the Bad Lands and Overland???? And what difference does the 2 vs 3 layer goretex make??? IS there a NOTICEABLE difference between the two in breath-ability and coolness???

Is venting the same on all three??

Armor doesn't mean anything to me as I always change that out to armor I prefer and switch between pants.
  6. Minimike

Oddometer:
    Sorry, been tied up and haven't been able to reply. I do not stock the high dollar Adventure jacket and pants, so my comments don't apply to them.

First off, all the Gortex Klim pants are 3 layers of Gortex and they all have 4 air vents. The vents are not all in the same places or the same sizes though.

Traverse, baggy cut, you may need a size smaller than normal. Armor pockets, but no armor. D30 slips in. One small cargo pocket in right thigh. No straps for suspenders. Lots of leather on the inside of the legs. Sold a ton of them and have yet to have a customer complain about them. Great bang for the buck!

Overland, D3o armor, two thigh cargo pockets (small), and cut more tailored than Traverse. Still look like dirt bike pants though. Straps for suspenders. Lots of leather inside the legs.

Latitude, now coming with D3o armor, two slash pockets like street slacks and a large cargo pocket on the front of the left leg. Pants are more adventure bike style (less like dirt bike pants) and remind me of Aerostich Darien pants. Straps for suspenders. Only a very small patch of leather on the inside of the knees.

Badlands, D3o armor, two small thigh pockets, dirt bike style pants that are tight cut, many customers do not like the distance from the seat of the pants to the knee armor, If you like Relax cut jeans, you're not going to like these pants. Lots of leather on the inside of the legs. I wear these. The knee armor does rub my knee cap and after a couple hours pisses me off. I have a 28" waist and am wearing the 30 Regular pants. I hate the pockets. I will say it again, I hate the pockets. Hard to get in & out of them, and forget having gloves on & doing it. Wish I had purchased a pair of the Black Latitude pants.

Here's my observations:

1. What ever pant you think you want, you have a 50/50 chance of changing your mind once you start trying on the other styles. Happens all the time.

2. Choose the one that fits your body the best and has the pockets you like. These are going to last you a long time and it's more important that the style will work more than matching your jacket. Best bet is to try on the pants and sit on your bike.

3. I would purchase a more expensive jacket and less expensive pants if you are on a budget. All the pants have 4 air vents. The jackets have 3, 4, 5, or 8 air vents. Many of my customers purchase a Badlands jacket and Traverse pants.

4. IMHO, the Overland pants do everything the Badlands pants do and I can sell you a pair of Alpinestar Scout waterproof adventure boots for the difference.

5. We don't need 4, (5 if you count the crazy $$$$ Adventure pants), Gortex riding pants from Klim. They need to drop one and add a pair of bib's with the hip to cuff scuba zipper; and, 4 air vents. I sell a lot of Klim Women's Alpine bibs (Snowmobile) to women motorcycle riders. There's a reason I do. They work and they are easy to get in and out of. Right now, Klim does not make a pair of motorcycle pants that are easy to get in and out of.

We need men's and women's motorcycle Bib's, 3 layer Gortex, four scuba air vents, leather on the inside of the legs, a scuba leg zipper that runs from hip to cuff, D3o armor in the knees and hip. The knee armor should be adjustable. We only need one color, Dark Pewter.

In fact, I wouldn't offer any colors that only work with a specific model jacket. People like to mix and match, so the colors should be such that they work together.

We picked up the Macna Women's jackets and pants to try to offer a set of high quality riding gear for women. Some women can wear Klim men's gear and some can't. Klim's missing the boat.

That being said, I love selling Klim. I know that 99% of my customers are going to be very happy with their purchase.

minimike

ride safe!
  7. Minimike

Oddometer:
    Some of the members here already know this; but, it's time to go ahead and make a formal announcement.

A couple weeks ago Cherie & I came to the realization that basically the income from the motorcycle shop was going to pay taxes. :huh So, we are have been winding winding down the operation and will be closing the door then on the last Saturday of Feb.

So, I'm taking an early retirement. Going to ride. :ricky Work on Trail 81 & 82 in the national forest. Work on my properties. Go on some ride trips. :ksteve

The shop has been a blast these past 7 years; and, I'm going to miss seeing everyone at the shop. We also really appreciate all the support we've had from ADVRider.com and from the members! Thanks!

On the bright side, I now will have time to go to ADV events!

I hope to see you in the woods!

minimike

[​IMG]
  8. LtDan

LtDan I'm going home

Oddometer:
    So, the rumor is true. Mike, I think I speak for the whole riding community, I will be really sad to see you close the doors. Not only was TMO at great shop, you did so much to promote DS riding in the Tellico Plains area, not to mention all the work you, Tom, and the help you put together, did to maintain 81, 82 and other trails.
    You deserve it brother, now's the time to get out and ride and enjoy yourself, better see ya at March Moto Madness next month, better yet, maybe Big Bend?

Dan
  9. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I saw your announcement on FB when you made it and like LtDan, we'll all be sad to see you go. You have definitely been a great asset to the Dual Sport community.

Even though you are about 3-4 hrs away, my wife and I frequently enjoyed an excuse to go visit you up there and buy merchandise/clothing.

I definitely don't blame you though for getting out there and just enjoying yourself!

Mike, We all with you the best of luck to you and Cherie!!
  10. t-bills

t-bills brushed aluminum

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you are closing the doors. Between losing you in Tellico and Mark at Thunder Mountain, I imagine I won't be stopping nearly as often.

On the other hand, congrats on starting a new stage of your life. :clap
  11. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man......I had heard this and hoped the inmate had bad info. Really gonna miss knowing you're out there selling good gear I can't afford.:lol3

On the bright side, you guys don't have to keep shop hours anymore. Enjoy your days.....smart man! Hope to see you soon!!!
  12. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your next adventure in life Mike. I always stopped by when in your area.

Best wishes.
  13. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will echo what others have already stated ... will be VERY sad to see your doors close but can totally understand. Your shop was truly a destination from the time I discovered it while taking in the Honda Hoot in 2008! I always tried to make at least one trip to Tellico Plains every year. It was also a very unique shop with a distinct personality!

Best wishes for a great retirement.

14. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer, we'll miss stopping by the shop...but understand the tax thing.

Enjoy your new found freedom, life is short!

15. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear about the shop closing. Your shop and the Grains Bakery are the only reasons to stop in Tellico. You'll be missed.
  16. Flying Dave

Flying Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WWaLxFIVX1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I needed a new pair of KLIM pants! Loved loved loved this shop, the location, and the prices. Now where can I find the same deals on gear that I used to here?

Best of luck in the future Mike! VERY sad to see you go though......
  17. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Last day picture at MiniMike's.

Always a good guy.

[​IMG]
  18. jgino157

jgino157 Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer:
    :cry Was headed down this weekend, looks like we just missed it.

Good luck Mike!!! Thanks for the hospitality in the past and for pointing us in the right direction on several occasions. :clap
  19. rwavaktm

rwavaktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear of your closing Mike. I always tried to spend every penny I could when I was at your shop. But I know how hard it is to keep a small business up and running, especially these days. You will certainly be missed!
    Enjoy your free time now!!
  20. Minimike

Oddometer:
    The shop was great fun! It was like having a bike show come to my door every day. Met lots of great people! In fact, we NEVER had a single bad check in seven years! That in itself speaks highly of our customers in this age.

We would still be open if it wasn't for current tax rates and Obamacare. I got pissed over being screwed by the government and decided to retire. After talking to my accountant in January, I made the decision in about 30 seconds. There are so many people in Tellico Plains on the government dole, I just couldn't see myself working my ass off to pay more in taxes.

On the bright side, I got to go to Pandora Motor Sports open house yesterday! Wanted to sit on a BMW 90-Tee; but, they were sold out. They had a Christini AWD 300 demo bike! When the street legal 450 dual sport comes out, I might have to get one of those.

See you on trail 81 and 82 guys!

Mike