ADV Riders in Chile

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by BjoernTheH, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    No idea. Sorry mate
  2. GSABest

GSABest El Aventurero

Oddometer:
    Hmmm voy a pensar en esa opción. No es tan mal el idea... 👍 Hmmmm
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    well it wil be an adventure then.....:lol3
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    We will be tormenting Chileans in 3 - 4 weeks time depending on the weather here in Peru, if it really turns to shit we will bail early.

Looking forward to catching up with anyone down there.

Cheers Andi & Ellen
  5. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    PM if you are near Punta Arenas...
  6. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    Yo feliz con las Heidenau por mas de un año. Cuidado en el tramo Cerro Sombrero - San Sebastián, hay bastante ripio suelto...
  7. Salva

Salva @shp224

Oddometer:
    Punta Arenas, Chile; Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Acabo de instalar Heidenau atrás y adelante en mi 990, no conseguí Pirelli en Punta Arenas. Se portaron muy bien en pavimento y ripio a que no dan la confianza de las Pirelli en húmedo. Vamos a ver mañana, que vuelvo desde El Calafate y hay pronóstico de lluvia.
  8. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Santiago today. I'm riding a BMW F800GS and looking to have some service completed (oil change, valve clearance checked, spark plugs changed, etc). Where's the best place to bring the moto? The BMW dealer? Any small shops that come recommended?
  9. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    Call Cristopher at +56 9 8405 8166. He is a former BMW dealer mechanic and has been doing great service to my RT for a couple of years.
  10. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have his email? I don't have a Chilean sim card.
  11. tridente

tridente n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Adv Riders,

I am touring Argentina and Chile by car. I am looking for parking space for about three months from late May 2014...any advise or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Alfonso
  12. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    Background: I live in the US, Chicago area, and am considering a move to Santiago de Chile for employment reasons. I have a Super Tenere 1200 for general multi-day adv travel, a KTM EXC 500 for more rugged multi-day single track riding and a beta trials bike for playing around. I generally camp on my multi day trips. Questions for those natives or expats living in Santiago or who are very familiar about the area:

1) What adv bike or bikes do you own or would consider owning given the riding opportunities out of Santiago/Central Chile AND given availability of parts and service?

2) Are there opportunities for single-track type riding in the central region of Chile?

3) Should I sell my bikes here and purchase new/used bike/bikes in Santiago or should I import my bike/bikes to Chile?

Thank you!
  13. Alcides

Alcides F800 GS Trophy

Oddometer:
    My friend, Chile is a wonderfull country for riding. You can find a lot of different track, routes, places to visit, etc. You can ride almost the whole year.

Here one of the most popular bikes for adv riding is of course BMW. You can also find Yamaha Super Tenere and Tenere 600, KTM, Ducatti, Honda, etc. You can join several facebook groups and also for forums like www.gstrail.cl which you are welcome to join eventhogh you don't ride a BMW.

Your bikes, as you are going to enter the country work and you will get a citizen card you can bring your bike with you which I recomend.

Fell free to contact me for more questions.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 mediante Tapatalk
  14. Quikegeo

Quikegeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I have a F800gs and I think is a great bike to move around here in Chile.

About your bikes, I recomend you to sell those and buy another one here, this is beacuse in Chile you can´t import used bikes. I came here on my G650GS from Costa Rica and they didn´t let me import the bike. So I had to ship it back to Costa Rica, sell it and buy another one here. Sorry about that.

Good luck and welcome to off road paradise :)
  15. Alcides

Alcides F800 GS Trophy

Oddometer:
    I did know about in Chile you can not import used bikes, but I thouth you can bring your own stuff if you come with a legal job contract. I think you are able to bring your car also, but I will check with my import agent and will advice. Sorry If I am wrong about it.

I have

16. Quikegeo

Quikegeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Alcides,

I tried that too... but only a Chilean can do it if proof that have been out of the country for at least a year.

That´s what they told me in customs. Maybe they change that already. Ask anyway, just in case ;)
    Pura vida,
    Enrique
  17. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    From www.aduanas.cl, FAQ, http://www.aduana.cl/preguntas-frecuentes/aduana/2011-06-21/152845.html#vtxt_cuerpo_T11

Answer, as an expat, you can bring your used bike to Chile via a permit for one year renewable only once for a total of two tears. After that, you must export your bike elsewhere. You must pay a tax to bring in. Plus, of course, shipping costs. I assume after all of that is payed, you are better off buying upon arrival and selling upon leaving Chile.

5. ¿Existe alguna franquicia tributaria que permita ingresar mi vehículo particular, si soy extranjero y estoy en Chile con visa de trabajo?

No existen beneficios tributarios para los ciudadanos extranjeros que deseen ingresar su vehículo usado a Chile, es más, la importación de vehículos usados se encuentra prohibida. Sólo se pueden importar vehículos nuevos, sin uso, del último año y modelo de fabricación, y con cero kilómetros o con el kilometraje necesario y suficiente para el traslado del vehículo desde el vendedor extranjero hasta el puerto de destino en Chile.

No obstante, podrá internar temporalmente el vehículo usado mediante el régimen de Admisión Temporal, por el plazo de un año, prorrogable por un año más, debiendo retornarlo al extranjero antes del vencimiento del plazo autorizado. Los vehículos ingresados mediante este régimen deberán pagar una tasa, no recuperable, cuyo monto será un porcentaje variable sobre el total de los gravámenes aduaneros e impuestos que afectarían su importación, determinado según el plazo que el vehículo vaya a permanecer en el país.​
  18. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is possible to bring in a bike temporarily. THEORETICALLY
    But as a Canadian who has lived 15 plus years in Chile under 3 occasions, and have started a business here, i strongly caution you not to try it.

Transport and customs fees will greatly exceed your cost of buying and selling and the officials will torture you every step of the way.
  19. Alcides

Alcides F800 GS Trophy

Oddometer:
    If you come for less than two years I think is better bring your own. Here, compared to the US market, I believe it is not cheap to buy a big trail and avd bike. Good luck!

20. Alcides

Alcides F800 GS Trophy

Oddometer:
    Ufff, with this repky there is nothing more to say....