Adv riders in Colombia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by theturtleshead, Nov 11, 2011.

1. caliform

caliform Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alta Guajira is amazing. Some of the best riding of my life. What a special experience. Punishing and incredible.

[​IMG]
  2. Ol Jeffrey

Ol Jeffrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought that you all would like to see Chestercito riding around Medellin, Colombia:

3. caliform

Oddometer:
    Anything fun between Santa Marta and Medellin? Kind of dreading the long ride, would love to get recommendations on towns on the way that are good to stop in.
  4. Ol Jeffrey

Ol Jeffrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any route ideas for a two month trip around Colombia?
  5. caliform

Oddometer:
    Where are you starting?
  6. Ol Jeffrey

Ol Jeffrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Medellin
  7. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Let me find my Colombia trip report, I forget where I stopped, while it wasn't necessarily fun I was alone, and tired...but they had some decent street food and I have seen others recommend it for a midway stop, I just can't recall. I will update shortly.

Edit: Shoot I didn't do a trip report for that one. Small chance it is Sincelejo, but get confirmation from someone, that name rings a bell looking at the map. I was an hour further than Santa Marta when I departed, and probably hungover. Not sure when I left but I arrived at the town with light remaining, and was riding a small Chinese 250 so you can def make it further South if you desire, but the place I stopped was good and had a few hotels to choose from, and broke up the ride which was my goal. Until a few hours outside Medellin it is a rather flat/boring ride.

You might look into heading towards the pacific, I have not made it out there yet but have read there is good riding but it used to be a bit sketchy of an area. With the current issues further South with the road blocks (which is said to be resolved/coming to an end) I do not know the safety of Colombia at this time, so inquire beforehand.
    caliform likes this.
  8. caliform

Oddometer:
    Went to Sincelejo and it was... fine. Just shot down to Medellin the next day - long and insane ride but gorgeous! Didn't expect it to get that pretty and varied. Wet, cold, hot, tropics, mountains, clouds, thunderstorms, all in a day from 100 to 9000+ feet.

Now going to try and find some tracks in / near Parque Nevados. Sad to see motorcycles are banned (?) in a lot of parts but I'd love to take some photos of the landscape at altitude before going down to Salento.
  9. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    You just reminded me I had lost my adv jacket outside Santa Marta, I had to ride up those mountains without a jacket, in the rain. That was 1 miserable ride.

I have only spent 2-3 weeks in Medellin, a fraction of the time I have been elsewhere in Colombia, but I don't love it the way most do. It's a nice enough city, but nothing compared to the other parts of Colombia. Hopefully you guys enjoy it more, or get out and hit those mountains. Looking forward to your rr updates.
  10. caliform

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love Medellin. Inspiring example of urban renewal done right. Lovely people. I also went though the mountains in my ventilated armored shirt for 100F weather. Got wet and freezing at 9000ft. Was awful going down the mountains into Medellin without feeling in my hands :D
    Tricepilot likes this.
  11. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma

Oddometer:

Wait, whut? I've never before heard this about any part of Colombia except when guerrillas are shooting up some part of the jungle near a town or something. Colombia is a motorbike paradise! Why and where are motos banned?
  12. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Vehicles are not allowed in the park, but I took my van all over the surrounding area, it is amazing.
  13. caliform

Oddometer:
    Any particular spots where you can go with motorcycles that are worth doing? Read that the road up to Thermales can be nice. I'd love to just see the high country or go up to the park limit at least.

@nicholastanguma it's an environmental thing, apparently. Quads / motos not allowed, and also no passing into the park without a guide (unless approached from Salento's Cocora Valley trail, if I was told correctly)
  14. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Not much from me, it was 2012 or so. I had originally been stuck in traffic and couldn't take it anymore, so just pulled off on an unknown to me road I saw which took me out to Libano. From there I was winging it, down through Murillo I think, and continued on to a road which ran behind the park.....it was fantastic, I spent two days back there wherever I was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. caliform

Oddometer:
    Looks brilliant!
  16. ducksvikings

ducksvikings n00b

Oddometer:
    Hola amig
    My bike's SOAP and technico mechanica expires soon. Do I just need to go to the respective offices and reregister or is there anything else I will need to do? Will it take just a moment or should I expect to wait for a few days?

Gracias!
  17. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be pretty easy to do, go to the tech inspection and SOAT office, same day, maybe an hour for both
  18. caliform

Oddometer:
    ^ What he said, SOAT is super quick (particularly renewal), tech inspection I am not familiar with.

Finally left Colombia yesterday. It was very, very hard to leave. I could spend years here. Our last bit of route was a zig-zag from Salento to the Tatacoa Desert, to San Augustin, to Mocoa, up the 10 (the 'Trampolín de Diablo', heh) and to Ipiales by way of Laguna de la Cocha. Amazing riding, gorgeous sights, fantastic people, food and everything. I want to go back already.
    Nttra and Tricepilot like this.
  19. ducksvikings

ducksvikings n00b

Oddometer:
    Hola amigos,

I am looking to sell my kawasaki klx 150 if anyone is interested or knows someone who may be please whatsapp me or email.

+17077388041
    tschida.scott@gmail.com
  20. Ol Jeffrey

Ol Jeffrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weekend Motorcycle Getaways from Medellín - Want an authentic Colombian experience? I recommend visiting the typical Colombian towns of Sonsón and Nariño. Sonsón is only a couple of hours outside of Medellín but if feels like you are going back in time. Best part about it is that there are almost no tourists out here. Drink coffee and rum in the plaza of Nariño while cowboys bring burros loaded with coffee to market. Swim in the nearby hot springs. Explore a huge collection of antiques at a one of a kind hotel and look across Colombia from a lookout point at almost 10,000ft in elevation. Do all this while enjoying virtually empty roads with spectacular views of the countryside.

Day 1 - Medellín - Sonsón

We headed to Sonsón via a beautiful winding road with spectacular views around almost every curve. Arriving in Sonsón we stayed at a 200 year old hotel filled with an amazing eclectic antique collection and grabbed a pizza on the balcony that overlooks the main square and the green countryside. Later in the day we visited the HALO de-mining operations and learned about their efforts to remove leftover anti-personal landmines from the area. They took out 280 landmines from the area near Nariño.

Day 2 - Sonsón - Nariño
    In the morning we rode to the Mirador Páramo de Sonsón, a lookout point that stands at over 10,00ft in elevation and has a beautiful view into the Magdalena river valley before winding down into the rural coffee town of Narinó where we had lunch and drank coffee with coffee farmers in the towns main square. We also visited a local coffee co-op where farmers were coming in with donkeys loaded with bags of coffee from all over the countryside. After lunch we took a short off-road ride to the famous hot springs located about an hour from the town where we will spent the rest of the the day swimming in the thermal pools.

Day 3 - Nariño - Medellín
    Today we drove back to our home base in Medellin. Winding back through the mountains we will stopped for a scenic lunch near a huge waterfall outside the town of La Ceja.

Pano.jpg

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_E3559.JPG
    This guy was smoking part of a cigar from a pipe made from some sort of propane attachment.

IMG_E3574.JPG
    This dude kinda reminds me of Tommy Lee Jones from No Country for Old Men

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG
    Filling up and weighing bags of coffee for shipment to Medellín.

IMG_E3374.JPG
    One of my friends rented a motorcycle in Medellín

Attached Files:

TDC_ERock likes this.