Adv riders in Colombia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by theturtleshead, Nov 11, 2011.

1. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lots more to see/do in Cali than Popayán, plan to leave Popayán mid morning so you do the mountain passes around midday (unpaved and potential for lots of fog). What's the interest in Bogotá?
    Nttra and Quindio like this.
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know someone who lives in Ipiales ???
    Have them contact me.
    holckster@gmail.com
    I'm on the Tent Space List
  3. Nonno Peppe

Nonno Peppe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cali is on the road, it was a mistake on maps. In Bogotà I would like to see at least Museo del Oro and Botero ...
  4. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOTS of Botero stuff in Medellín, you'll be sick of it, unless you have a massive fetish for obese people/animals/everything. Depending on your definition of a good trip, you might find that visiting so many places in so little time less satisfying.
    Nttra likes this.
  5. klebs01

klebs01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just arrived in Cartagena. Should get my bike through customs on Monday.
    Quindio likes this.
  6. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma

Oddometer:

Speaking of Cartagena!

I'm considering using Cart as a winter getaway city for 1-3 months of North America's winter, from December to February. In my time exploring the city I've enjoyed it immensely, especially when based in Old Town, and the easily accessible dual sport riding opportunities around the city are also obviously a huge plus.

But I'm irrationally attached to my own motorcycle, and if I'm going to be visiting Cart every year I want to take the bike with me. Is getting a foreign bike with a Carnet de Passage into and out of Colombia a horrible hassle via customs, or by some miracle unusually painless?
  7. Quindio

Quindio Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not hard to bring a motorcycle into and out of the country, but it is almost impossible to leave it there all year. The easiest way is to use a import broker to do all the paper work for you.
  8. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:

An import broker, okay, that seems pretty standard protocol. I wouldn't be leaving the bike in-country for any more time than I myself would be in-country; the moto and I would be entering and exiting together.

In general, even with a broker working for me, how long would Colombian customs hold my bike in their warehouse after it arrives at the airport? For instance, if I arrive on day no 1, would I have the moto in my possession on day no 2 or 3 or what?
  9. Quindio

Quindio Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say 1-2 days if shipped by plane? But it's Colombia so anything can happen. Getting paper work done at government offices can be a real run around. It took me a week this year to sell a motorcycle to my friend. The problem was that when I bought the moto in Colombia 3 years ago I used the passport i had at the time. When I went to sell the moto this year I had a new passport. They told me I needed my old passport or i could not sell the moto. Lucky for me I saved some pictures of my old passport and had it on my computer so i made some photo copies and was able to get the paper work done.

Make copies of all your ID and registration. You'll need lots for when you import your moto.
  10. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for your help! :thumb
  11. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've talked with 3 people who flew their bikes in and they all drove off the next day, same with sailboat, 5-6 hours. check the calendar, if a local holiday, that will add days, if bank is closed, nothing happens.
  12. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:

Excellente, mucho gracias! :nod
  13. savetheclutch

savetheclutch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    do you know what airline they used to ship their bikes? I am hoping to ship one from either NY or Miami
  14. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Probably not the US, they don't like to ships bike via airfreight. Many go from the US to Toronto or Vancouver (among other Canadian cities) to use Air Canada for EU shipping, which is only about 6 months of the year, so shows it is not easy. I think from N. America to S. America you would need to go to Panama, Mexico maybe.
  15. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I have some use or loose vacation time I need to take before the new year. Interested in spending it riding in Latin America instead of freezing here. Maybe mid-November to mid December. I'm thinking 3-4 days riding, a tour perhaps, then just explore some on foot. I don't have a huge budget, maybe 2 grand for the ride. Suggestions on a tour company or other ideas for Colombia?
  16. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Start with Motolombia.
    BvilleBud likes this.
  17. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Me an my wife are going down to Colombia over the winter, from middle of November 2019 to middle or March 2020, for a total of 4 months. We've been there before, on foot and by rented car, up in the mountains of Cocuy, North to Santa Marta, Bogota, Medellin and some places in between. We loved the sights, loved the people. This time, we were thinking of exploring Colombia by motorcycle.

We normally ride a CRF250L and a Grom (MSX125), but we are thinking of buying bikes in Colombia, using them for the 4 months, then selling them. We're quite happy with small bikes and are looking to clear 200km (125mi) per day tops.

I did a bit of research already, but I'd love to get input from people on these ideas:
    1. We're thinking of buying new (Yamaha XTZ 250 for me at around $5000 and a Honda CB125F for her at around $1400)
    2. We fly into Bogota and were thinking of finding a motorcycle dealer to help us with bikes, gear, papers; we're hoping we could get everything sorted out in less than a week, is that reasonable if the bikes are new?
    3. Any recommendations for reputable dealers in Bogota?
    4. We're hoping to sell the bikes after 4 months (probably around 10K km, 6200 mi) for at least half the price
    5. We're looking for backroad riding, no highways if possible; we could manage some mountains if the bikes can take it (we're both fairly light and would be travelling with little luggage, but we've never ridden high altitudes before)
    6. We want to steer clear of the big cities, but we will be staying in Medellin for a month for work (with plenty of time for rides around outside of the city, though)
    7. The actual route is not clear. I've gathered a list of places mainly from this forum (stuff like Guatape, Salento, Toche, Potosi, Barichara, Vila de Leyva, Ibague, Popoyan, Mocoa, Dosquebradas, Sonson, Narino) but right now they are just names, we haven't put them on a map or anything (we will, in the next couple of days)

Does this make sense? Are we overlooking anything?
    Thanks!
    Davidprej likes this.
  18. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend just getting 2 xtz250 if it's in your budget. They are very commercial here so easier to sell. Also FI, which you'll appreciate in the mountains. Additionally a 250 is a bigger bike here, which will allow you to keep ahead of all the idiot drivers/riders in Colombia (most of them).

Bring your gear with you, it's more expensive and harder to find quality items here.

I can't recommend a specific dealer in Bogotá, but there isn't a great difference between different yamahas, if buying new. 1 week sounds reasonable, could easily be less.

Route sounds good, if you're patient you can find lots of unpaved routes to travel between them.
    Quindio likes this.
  19. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I misread the price of the Honda (I read 4k, not 1.4k). It's popular and easy to sell here. However you will obviously be limited in off rd ability. If your budget allows I'd consider looking at the XTZ125 or at least another Yamaha (that way you can both get parts or whatever in the same place, no need to travel between dealerships) the Libero would be a good equivalent to the cb.