Adv riders in Colombia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by theturtleshead, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Please do a report. You're taking a trip I am seriously thinking about.
    Quindio likes this.
  2. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the fines can be paid in any transit office, it doesn't have to be the municipality where it was issued, as can the courses that reduce the cost of the fine. A good place to keep up with any due fines is the SIMIT webpage. If you have provided the transit office with valid contact info they are also legally obliged to keep you up to date with any pending fines (usually by text or mail)
    Parcero likes this.
  3. Quindio

Quindio Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From my experience from getting 2 photo radar tickets I was not able to just pay it at any transito office. My friend also got one this year and it was the same for him because the ticket was out of province.(department)

You need to contact the office that issued the ticket, they will tell you what bank you need to go to and pay the fine. It can be the closest bank to your location it does not need to be where you got the photo radar ticket.

What i learned too is that Transito offices to not communicate with each other in different departments of Colombia. They will not call, contact or email another office for you. It took 7 days to clear up my friends photo radar ticket.

When I got 2 photo radar tickets 2 years ago I went to my local transito office. First I asked why i got 2 tickets at the same time in the same place? He could not answer that. Then i asked if I could see the photo radar pictures? He said no and that if I wanted to see the pictures I needed go to the office that issued the ticket. I told him it's a 5 day ride to get there. He told me there was nothing he could do. I ended up going to a bank and paying the fines. Once the other office receives the money transfer the fine is removed from your record.
  4. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The transit officer is either lying to you or just doesn't know his job. I've had several tickets from different departments (including smaller far away municipios) all of which I've been able to pay in Medellín. The transito offices are all also interconnected by the SIMIT. Specifically regarding the evidence, they are required to upload the evidence to the SIMIT webpage or send you the photo evidence (unless they show you in person when you get the fine), otherwise the fine is not valid- this is someting I've also appealed, based on a lack of evidence.
    Quindio and Tricepilot like this.
  5. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is one awesome thread !
    I missed it until recently - should be sticky on page 1.

I returned from Colombia recently and will go again soon. Lots of good contacts here. Hope to meet some of you guys !

About traffic tickets - I speed a lot - and it looks like I'm not the only one. I tried to look up my record on SIMIT but I do not speak Spanish and may have done it wrong. There was a form that asked for my passport number and another number. For the second number I gave my Licencia de Transito number. Clicked on the question mark at the bottom. I got back an error message and other junk.

Can someone give me a link to the right website ? And does it sound like I asked for the info correctly ?

They have my info from the RUNT so I suppose I would get an email notification. But my address there is a hostel so any mail going there may not get to me.
  6. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if your bike is Colombian, you just need to complete the first field using the passport or cedula number the bike is registered to, leave the 2nd field blank and obviously complete the captcha code.
  7. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much. Yes, my bike is Colombian. Your instructions worked like a charm. I got back a short note that I translated on google translate. It said I don't owe them anything. yet.

I will be back in Colombia in a few months and try again. I hear the cameras are marked with signs. What kind of spots are they in ? Open highway ? In cities ? Coming into a town ?

I speed, but only about average. I try not to stand out too much, but just about everyone is over the limit, as near as I can determine.
    tkdcol likes this.
  8. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are no fixed rules as to where they put them (they do have to be advertised though). They obviously normally put them anywhere where you can actually gather some speed, but no tips other than that (also mobile ones). Don't forget about the traffic light jumping cameras too. Also, just in case you don't already know, if your bike is >125cc you might also be owing your yearly taxes.
  9. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do the taxes work ?

I got my bike new from a dealer in October. Looked like everything was paid for the first year, but I don't know about the yearly tax. Do they bill you ? When is it due ? My bike is a KTM 390 Duke, cost about $6000. How much tax will I have to pay ?
  10. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You pay them at the transito where your bike is registered (it says on the property card), it is 3% of the commercial value (this is different to the real value of the bike- normally less) + a small standard circulation fee (varies between transito offices, normally between 0 and 30 000COP)
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to pay this online? For example you are not in country and travelling in another country on the bike.
  12. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it depends on the transit office; some have options to pay online, others require you to go to the bank to do it. The deadline is normally a date in June, after which they start charging you interest.
    Cal likes this.