Adv Riders in Guatemala

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by richsuz, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mike89061

mike89061 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be flying in . I'm supposed to meet up with a guy I met in Death Valley a few years ago but not sure what else my plans are . He has generously offered to let me use his XR650 and put me up but I don't want to be to much trouble for him and overstay my welcome ya know .I want to check out Antigua and Lake Atalan for possible retirement destination.. Maybe If anyone here is around and want to meet I'll buy the first round .
  2. 175grams

175grams Old Town Outfitters, Antigua, Guatemala

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, I'll be around. Let me know when it gets closer, always up for a :beer
    mike89061 likes this.
  3. El Explorador

El Explorador Radical Explorer

Oddometer:
    Guatemala City, Guatemala, and going down!
    Nothing you wouldn't have to worry about anywhere else outside of N America. Stay clear of the city and shitty neighbourhoods, make it to semuc champey, Candelaria caves, and Tajumulco. If you're going to really explore you should ask around but if you stick to tourist areas just use common sense and don't wander around ugly neighbourhoods alone after dark.

https://thevagabondjourney.wordpress.com

https://flickr.com/photos/elexplorador/
    mike89061 likes this.
  4. Erinaceous

Erinaceous ...................O#O

Oddometer:
    ...imagine if you were from Chile and thinking of going to the USA and only followed news out of Chicago or Detroit.....you may never come to the States, lol.
    aesull and Be Gone For Good like this.
  5. mike89061

Oddometer:
    Very good point ! lol
    Erinaceous likes this.
  6. mike89061

Oddometer:
    My biggest problem is I don't know two words of spanish lolol
  7. El Explorador

El Explorador Radical Explorer

Oddometer:
    Guatemala City, Guatemala, and going down!
    mike89061 likes this.
  8. Blaze99

Blaze99 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Guatemala soon (late March) for the first time, would love to buy you a beer and learn about the area if you're up for it.
    mike89061 likes this.
  9. stewacide

stewacide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some help. I have a bike currently in San Juan la Laguna (by San Pedro) that was hit. The front wheel was off at about a 15 degree angle, but after fitting a new steering stem lower and handlebars it *looks* ok but won't drive straight. I'm in need of someone who really knows what they're doing (currently under the supervision of small town mechanic) to say what's wrong (I assume either the forks or frame at this point).

Xela would be closer but could also have it trucked to Guatemala City.

Thanks in advance.
  10. gs_roughontheroad

gs_roughontheroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey stewacide, Hope you already solved the problem but if not:

There's mechanic shop in Xela (5751-6506) that works on big bikes and is affiliated with the local BMW club, Perico's Moto Club, there. I haven't used them but met the guy when he and a few club members were in Panajachel (where I'm currently based) a few months back. Also, there's Chiltepe Speed Shop in Guatemala City. They mostly do restaurations but might be inclined to help out. The owner is a really good guy. Hope that helps and let me know if you're coming through Pana at some point.
  11. gs_roughontheroad

Oddometer:
    For any moto travelers coming to or passing through Lake Atitlan, Guatemala:

My wife and I rode down on our GSs and are on extended stay in Panajachel. Let us know if you're in the area. We'd love to meet up for a coffee/beer and maybe a ride.
    mike89061 likes this.
  12. mike89061

Oddometer:
    I'll be there the end of March . We should all (ADVriders) meet up there and have drinks . First round's on me ! :)
  13. gs_roughontheroad

Oddometer:
    Defintely. Keep in touch and let me know when your getting near. We'll arrange a meetup.
    mike89061 likes this.
  14. mike89061

Oddometer:
    One week !
  15. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a Chicagoan I hear this all the time even from folks in the States. "So, do you like see dead people on the street and stuff...?" It is hilarious and completely proves your point. The bad news you hear isn't indicative of the real environments.
    SkizzMan, mike89061 and Erinaceous like this.
  16. gs_roughontheroad

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you're getting very close, Mike. Let us know when you're in.
    mike89061 likes this.
  17. brasscycle

brasscycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for route suggestions, advice for travel in a southern part of Guatemala on a way to Panama. I plan to enter Guatemala at the La Mesilla border. Mainly looking for sights of volcanos, nice beaches, beach towns. I'm aware of Lago Atitlan and security issues on RT 14 south of it. I'll be doing a north/central part (Puerto Barrios, Tikal, Coban, Flores) of the country on my way back north. Thanks. guatesouth.jpg
  18. gs_roughontheroad

Oddometer:
    My wife and I did this route from La Democracy to El Paredón a couple weekends ago. The first stretch is hard-pack that turns into gravel that turns into sand. From Naranjo to Paredón, it's about 10km of sand. Just sand. We stayed in one of the suites at El Paredón Surf Camp. They also have bungalows and a dorm.

https://www.google.com.gt/maps/dir/...17669724d!2m2!1d-90.9462345!2d14.229012?hl=en
    Erinaceous and brasscycle like this.
  19. mike89061

Oddometer:
    T minus three days ! Hopefully ATT will work there .. Where is a good place to meet up ?
  20. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    Chichicastenango on a Thursday is worth a visit. On your way from La Mesilla you will go through Huehuetenango. You can take 15, but there is also a back road route just south of Huehue that is fun. The market in Chichi on Thursdays and Sundays is not to be missed.
    knight and brasscycle like this.