Adv Riders in Guatemala

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by richsuz, Dec 5, 2012.

1. kalaharigeorge

kalaharigeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks GuareRider.

Are there bonded stores in Guate? I couldn't find an answer on Google.

2. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes there are, they are called "Almacenes fiscales"
  3. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Glad the branch missed Rosie ; I hope the lucky stars will keep on shining on you guys :ricky
  4. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    I saw on TV the volcano there burped a little bit eh
  5. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. ans3

ans3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just came across this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452206&page=3

How is the situation now? Is it illegal riding two up?

Also, any information about what sort of process is needed to take a guatemalan bike to El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua would be greatly appreciated.

All the best.
  7. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are no restrictions about riding 2up in Guatemala anywhere.

All you need to cross into ay of the countries you mentioned with a bike with Guatemalan license plate is the registration , no custom paperwork at all.
  8. ans3

ans3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great. Good to know.
    Thanks for the info GuateRider.
  9. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    Not to sound ignorant, but what does a "Almacenes fiscales" or bonded store do for you?? I am having to get an extension on my permit for my bike, expires April 11. Guatemala only gives you a 90 day permit, sadly! Upon looking up information a friend showed me, a person needs to go to the SAT office at the airport to get a renewal. Which is at their discretion whether you get an extension or not. Any other information about this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

what car??
  10. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    An almacen fiscal is a bonded warehouse. In the eyes of the law, you're "exporting" the bike, storing it in a bonded warehouse, and then re-importing it whenever you go get it out again. As long as your bike is in the bonded warehouse, it's technically not "in" Guatemala.
  11. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes an Almacen Fiscal is a bonded warehouse and it's technically not in Guatemala .
    But it works only for imports, you can store your merchandise there without paying the import duties and whenever you need something you take it out and pay only the duties for the merchandise you are taking out. It's basically designed to help importers manage their cashflow.

I asked personally the Almacen Fiscal that my company works with , and they told me that storing a bike there , doesn't make any difference as far as the TVIP.
    I also called up Aduana(custom) and I got the following information : You can theoretically get 180 days at the border , but since Migracion will give you only 90 days, thats what you will get for your bike as well .
    You can after 90 days apply for a 90 days extension at Aduana in Guatemala city . If you get it or not, is up to the Aduana .
    A letter from the bike dealer saying that you are waiting for a spare part for your broken bike , a letter from a doctor saying that you are not able to ride a bike for 90 days,....all this would help.
    But 180 days is the legally longest period that you can keep your bike in Guatemala .
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    We arrived in Guatemala today, currently in Santa Alena then making our way across to Antigua and Xela.

Any other ADVers hovering around willing to swap stories, meet up and talk crap etc we are in.

Really looking forward to our time here :clap
  13. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    "'You can after 90 days apply for a 90 days extension at Aduana in Guatemala city . If you get it or not, is up to the Aduana .'"

Not sure if I buy this for all instances... A friend of mine, Gov worker with friends in SAT, stated that if you go to the capital to try and get an extension they will send you to the border. My friends friend(s) told us to go to the Carmen border. Which is what I did, Carmen border of Mexico/Guatemala, received extension for another 90 days. The migracion office did however make me leave the country for 24 hours, which is what I did. Came back in and only payed Q10 upon entering and didn't have to pay the Q160 (bike fee) normally paid to come into Guatemala. Did not leave with the bike, left it at a border hotel parking Q50.

The process was pretty easy and didn't take that long. Of course necessary copies applied. Not sure if having friends contact their friends helped, but regardless extended until July 6.:clap
  14. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    Hey moto kiwis, in Xela, Hostal Don Diego will give a discount on lodging and has secure parking for the bike. That's where I stayed when I first arrived: chat with Claudia (English/Spanish). Still here in Xela as received motorcycle extension :clap. Get in touch if you want.

Also a plug for Aguilar motorcycle shop 19th Avenida on the south side of the rotunda (roundabout). Great bunch of guys over there, let me change my oil and bought tires. Received discount for purchases, give them a go!:freaky
  15. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't care what you buy and if you buy !!!
    I have done it for a friend of mine (in Guate City) and he got the extension :evil
  16. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Great info thanks mate, we are in Semuc Champey at the mo and making our way to Antigua, got a new front shoe organised there cos ours is 99.9% stuffed :eek1

The school said we might not be able to secure park the bike anywhere at our hosts so we would have to pay to store it elsewhere, that would be a deal breaker for me, any suggestions?

We want the bike close and parked safe.
  17. motomundo antigua

motomundo antigua Tukker Motorsports

Oddometer:
    if you do the school in antigua, you can park at my shop.

Cheers

Taz
  18. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    "'I don't care what you buy and if you buy !!!
    I have done it for a friend of mine (in Guate City) and he got the extensio'"

Hence the phrase all instances. I'm not saying it didn't or doesn't work. I was told by friends what the possibility would be. I am closer to the Mexican border with a nicer drive thus the reason why I went that route. I guess that's why there's a term called, YMMV (your mileage may vary). More than one way to skin a cat remember? No need to get snarky. Remember we're all on here to share information and experiences, thus to help the 'community' of riders.

Alrighty then, moving on.

Taz, sorry mate couldn't join when we met in Chimaltenango, an agenda was afoot. We'll meet up soon enough though!!

Moto Kiwi's, no problem for the information. Goes for all riders!

cheers all!!
  19. motomundo antigua

motomundo antigua Tukker Motorsports

Oddometer:
    no worries, BBQ can be ready in 10, hehehehe, next time
  20. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Taz

They e'd us back today and we are all good, planing to be in Antigua Thursday night, suggestions on an economic place to stay?

Will come to you shop on Friday for the MT 60 and meet you guys finally!!:clap

In Semus Champey at the mo, simply stunning :clap .. sorry if the spinglish is not good ... blame it on the Whisky