ADV Riders "Mexico"

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Ymarzuca, Mar 18, 2014.

1. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Kyle, sorry for the late response. I'm leaving Phoenix on Friday for Hermosilla, Mazatlan, Durango, ZAC (dia de los muertos) and farther south. Hope to cross paths. Salud
    kyleschutter likes this.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    DK - Heads up. Mex 15 is a mess with construction from Nogales to south of Hermosillo. I drove from Nogales to Magdalena coming home today and it was slow with lots of 2-lane construction zones and cross overs. There's some sand on the pavement in work zones.
    Bien Viaje.

For anyone riding the Rio Sonora route (Son 089) south from Cananea be aware that major road reconstruction has started from just south of Cananea and at various spots heading towards Bacoachi. Where they are not working the road is crap with potholes and broken pavement. From Bacoachi south through Banámichi and down to the junction with Mex 14 at Mazocahui 089 is all new asphalt this year. There is a little water in the Rio Sonora at Bacoachi. The Rio Bacanuchi north of Arizpe is also flowing and there is algae under the water on the concrete roadway there. Lots of sand in the dry vados.
    Mex 14 up to Moctezuma and south to Hermosillo is in good shape.
  3. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Turkeycreek. Tha'ts not how I want to start my ride south. It looks like my best options would be to cross at Aqua Prieta and take the 17 to the 14 or the 2 to 89 swinging thru Banamichi or Sonoyta taking the 8 to the 3 along the coast. I still need my TVIP so will need to research those options as well. Has anyone been on these roads lately? Suggestions?? Thanks
  4. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    It will be best to take Mex 17 south south from AP to Esqueda then over to Bacoachi on Son 089 them down through Banámichi and south to Hermosillo. It's a great ride. with incredible views. I will ride that road on Sunday - too late to give you a report. I don't know if they repaved it yet, there were some bad spots last year.

The option is to stay on Mex 17 to Moctezuma then down Mex 14. 17 to Moctezuma is boring but the ride down Mex 14 to Mazacahui is fun.

If you come through Banámichi, stop in for coffee.

Tourist visa and TVIP is easy in Agua Prieta. Then south on 17 to Esqueda and cross to Bacoachi and down through Banámichi and on south to Hermosillo.

I have info on the INM and Banjercito process in AP, Naco and Nogales at https://www.losarcossonora.com/at-the-border/
    J.Luis Vázquez and jimmex like this.
  5. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Appreciate the information. I'll stop on the way through if I make good time in the morning otherwise I'll catch you on the flip. Thanks again.
    Turkeycreek likes this.
  7. kyleschutter

kyleschutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool! We are in Guadalajara now. How was Durango? I hear they have the best soup in the world--Caldillo Durangueño https://eli-rubel.squarespace.com/news/2014/8/29/el-espinazo-del-diablo
    pceire32 likes this.
  8. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    Gustavo and J.Luis Vázquez like this.
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Is Tia Chona's still good?
  10. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    Tia Chona's is excellent. But for Caldo Durangueno I head to El Zocabon.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  11. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0244.JPG
    Sorry for the late response. Durango was great. Didn't get the soup lead before I left but will be back. Devils backbone was awesome. Doing that one again. In ZAC for the holiday. Anyone have recommendations for good restaurants here?
    Puma0530 likes this.
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Do you like filet mignon?

Garufa Restaurante Argentino in El Centro has great Argentine style steaks. The Loma Argentino (filete de res) is my favorite.
  13. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_2340.JPG
    Thanks SkizzMan, I'll check it out tomorrow. Having ridden thru Arg the steaks are absolutely the best. Even better is the open pit roasted lamb. Check out this goucho barbecue at the Patagonia Motocross championship at Angostura Arg. Yum yum.
    Stephen and SkizzMan like this.
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
  15. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago a friend asked if he could join me on my annual EOY ride to get him started on his Tierra del Fuego Ride. Two years later his book is published. Pretty good reading. Available on Amazon.
    [​IMG]
  16. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good route off the 45D between ZAC and Guanajuato? Maybe the 49 to the 51?? Google says the monarch butterflies may also be in this area. Gracious amigos.
  17. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pceire32. I'm assuming your suggestion is in Guanajuato? Sounds delicious. Thanks
  18. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Sorry thought you were in Mazatlan.
  19. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries. It's all good.
    pceire32 likes this.
  20. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    SEEKING EXPERIENCE WITH MAJOR REPAIRS AT DEALERS IN MEXICO FOR 2015 GSW

I had a get off up near San Felipe BC, and have managed to get my bike down to San Miguel de Allende.
    Asking for your experience on two BMW Motorcycle dealers that are my options for repairs.

I need new bars, complete new left grip controls (including dial wheel), cockpit and painting. Other parts I need are new Altrider engine guards (upper and lower), Moto-X valve cover protectors, etc. See pix.

I know that Carlos in Toluca has sterling reputation with GS friends in SMA, but he's three hours from there and I am really tired of riding this beast in this condition. I can get it trucked up there, but would not be able to discuss with him about work.

On the other hand, there is a relatively new dealer in Queretaro, only 45 minutes from SMA, so I could easily get there and discuss the work.

I wouldn't want anyone to burn bridges, so please respond privately to me either by PM or my email zigyphoto@gmail.com

1 - FRONT-sm.jpg 2 - LEFT GRIP CONTROLS.jpg 2 - FRONT RIGHT SIDE WINDSHIELD-sm.JPG

this is the piece under the cockpit that connects it to just below the triple clamp (bars)

FRAME PIECE UNDER INSTRUMENTS. BROKEN-2.JPG