ADV Riders "Mexico"

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Ymarzuca, Mar 18, 2014.

1. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM
  2. NotiersFrontiers

NotiersFrontiers Crazy Adventure Man

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Colima via Chicago! Mexico has been awesome to us so far, minus one bribe....
    We are in Mexico for another 3 weeks, then into Central America and beyond on our 3 year (at least) journey around the globe on our KTM 1190!
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Bien Viaje!
  4. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, not sure if anyone already asked that here. We're planning to visit Las Coloradas (Yucatan) tomorrow. From Google Map, it looks like a sandy road from the village on. Has anyone already ridden there on a MC? How far can you go, and how packed is the sand? Any nice/friendly eat in the village? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
  5. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We’ll be crossing into Belize around 8-10th of January. Are you heading directly to Guatemala?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    You can travel on the sand road from Las Coloradas to El Cuyo. Due to all the potholes motorcycles are recommended. Flamingos, cranes and deserted beaches along the way :thumb
    going south and peergum like this.
  7. NotiersFrontiers

NotiersFrontiers Crazy Adventure Man

Oddometer:
    We will be in Cancun from the 2nd to the 7th (ish).. I am not 100% sure of our route after that, but the timeline seems to match up pretty well. Stay in touch, let's connect on FaceBook as well https://www.facebook.com/nogoodnotier. It would be awesome to merge paths with another couple. (I need to download Taptalk on my phone)
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Merida X-Mas week. If there is anybody around and you want to grab dinner and/or a beer one night, let me know.

Gustavo
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should come scout it out for him in a couple of weeks? It's the best time of the year to ride the Yucatan...

Gustavo
    Kiko likes this.
  10. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did that... but then came to a part of the road that was uncrossable, the road was covered with water for at least 100m... had to turn back after almost 1 hour of ride, passing back all the sandy puddles... Good experience, but not too much fun :/ On the way back met 2 locals on a small motorcycle that were trying to go that way too, except they had no more gas in the tank... As a nice foreigner I supplied them the content of one of my jerrycans. Lucky them got 2 liters for 20 pesos instead of 34 (I was in my good mood and I'm sure they need the money more than I do...)

Las Coloradas.jpg
  11. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. I was there last month and the road was not in the best condition, but it was easily passable on a bike. We were traveling the other way from El Cuyo and stayed in Rio Lagartos for the night. Rio Lagartos is a nice little town. I hope you guys were able to find a hotel there for the night.
    peergum likes this.
  12. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were doing a day trip from Playa del Carmen. It just added 2 hours to the ride :) No big deal, we should probably have asked some locals before trying the road... Unfortunately we missed Rio Lagartos.
  13. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So we’ll be in Playa Del Carmen on New Year’s Eve. Who’s going to be there to celebrate too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, this is slightly off-topic, but we'll be crossing the border to Belize in Chetumal in one week and I'd like to get a status of the process and taxes on the way out. If there's any existing thread about border crossings and/or this one in particular, please feel free to redirect me, I couldn't find a link easily... :)
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I crossed there a few years ago and forgot to buy bike insurance at the border so ended up buying a nice police man lunch at a road check about 50 miles into Belice
    Remember to buy insurance haha
    toowoomba and Kiko like this.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    lunch in Belice was only 4 or 5 dollars! haha....but that did not garantee the next stop would want lunch also, as t was I was not stopped again before leaving to guatemala
    Peergum its no different from any other border check out of Mexico and then check in to Belize, if I remember that was a very quiet crossing but I did it on a Sunday morning.
    toowoomba likes this.
  17. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I read about the insurance. Apparently right after the border/customs you can buy one from the official insurance, rather than from the possible scammers before or at the border.

The question was more about the fees. I read somewhere there may be a tax for the bridge pass, and what about the exit fee? Does that even exist? Thing is, I entered Mexico on the bike around August, then flew back to Vancouver last week and then back in a few days ago... I read the entry/exit fees are included in the plane ticket generally, but do/will I have to pay anything exiting or will I just cancel my immigration card and TVIP and get the TVIP deposit back?

Regarding Belize, besides the small fumigation tax, anything to pay for the entry and the bike importation?

---

Just found that blog post from another thread on advrider: http://ayferonurseyahatnamesi.com/m...ntral-america-border-crossings.html#more-9333
    Seems to have my answers :) Thought I'd share.
    toowoomba likes this.
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice blog report about the border crossings, I tend to be more of a show up and see whats required type of personality, still followingyour ride report.
    peergum likes this.
  19. peergum

peergum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just try to have a preview of what the process is, where to stop and who to talk to or not, so that I don't have to go back and forth between offices... Bike is pretty heavy loaded and we're 2-up, so we try to skip useless moves ;) I'm still a bit worried about the "helpers" who may want to intercept us... As long as they don't touch/push the bike I'll be fine :) Otherwise I may have to rev the engine to keep them distant ;)
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    no necesita ayuda gracias or pick a young helper under 16 as they can use the money more than you, hold all your own papers and passports and have he kid point out the process $3.00/5.00 would be appreciated. My young helper in Honduras was 3.00 and it saved me a couple hours of waiting because it was noon and the agent with the stamps was at lunch, the kid knew where and took me there the agent happily stamped me in while eating .