ADV Riders "Mexico"

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Ymarzuca, Mar 18, 2014.

1. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola Inmates,

Should have posted earlier, but I'm currently in Oaxaca City.....then working my way South to Guatemala. If any of you peeps are in town and want to meet for dinner or a beer...reply to this thread to shoot me a pm. Also, if you want to meet up and ride south, let me know. I'm easy going and my schedule is pretty flexible.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  2. anyway

anyway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pceire32 likes this.
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Cross posting the 3rd annual Banamichi Meet Up info
    One more time.
    The 3rd annual Motorcycle Meet Up in Banamichi is happening November 9, 10, and 11 2018.

The first year we had 22 bikes parked in front of Hotel Los Arcos for the blessing of the bikes. Last year we had 33 bikes, including one sidecar rig and six from Mexico City who rode 1,300 miles to get here.

This is an informal type of thing. Everything is pay as you go, hotels, meals, any tours. As in past 2 years, filling our hotel rooms and restaurant is great but that's not what's behind this. I'm looking to introduce more riders to our area, to Mexico and get to meet some of you I only know online and get to see some of you who have been here before again. We don't plan on any tee shirts unless you tell us otherwise.

We ask participants to bring down spiral notebooks, #2 pencils and other easily packed items for the elementary school in La Mora a few clicks down the road. They are always very much appreciated. Baseball gloves - even those old ones in good shape and baseballs would be great.

If you don't know northern Sonora, Banámichi is a small pueblo of about 3000 people. We are about 135 miles from either Nogales, AZ or Bisbee, AZ, a little more from Agua Prieta and a bit over 100 miles north of Hermosillo. We have a gas station, an OXXO convenience store, Neveria about 40 hotel rooms, some camping and a few restaurants. And beer, we have 3 beer stores plus the OXXO. The town is clean, safe and full of friendly, welcoming people. We also have a small working silver mine near town and several local Bacanora stills. Bacanora is the locally produced Mezcal.

We will feature a visit to a rustic Bacanora still just 10 minutes away. See a demo of how the product is cooked, fermented, and distilled, enjoy a fantastic buffet lunch prepared still-side featuring traditional Sonoran foods and the opportunity to taste and buy a bottle. This is optional and you will pay the family - no one else gets a commision or a cut.

There are some fun day rides, mostly paved into the mountains. Horseback riding is a possibility with advance. Once again we plan a repeat performance by our internationally known folk dance group. The group won the 2017 state competition and came in 2nd in the nationals These kids are amazing and wowed us all. The dance performance will be on a donation basis (and riders were very generous in the past.) For those of you who attended in 2016, rumor has it that Woody will be back and might do a few songs.

We plan a pizza night with real NY style pizza prepared in our wood fired adobe oven.

We will be looking at more fun things to add as well and we are always open to suggestions.

Banámichi is a perfect kick off point for Copper Canyon and points south and also for the ferries to Baja from Guaymas, Topolobampo or Mazatlan. We are between Mex 16 and Mex 17.

The weather in early November is normally dry. Some of the river crossings will be wet but not too deep. Temps typically mean warm days and cool, sometimes chilly nights. Typical of the desert are day night swings of 30 degrees F. Of course, if you plan to ride up higher into la sierra you can expect colder weather after sunset.

There are about 40 hotel rooms in town, Los Arcos has the 11 best with secure parking and a pool and will be the HQ hotel. But you get to choose your lodging. We can help with other hotels and we don't take a cut. There is camping available nearby.

I will cross post to the other Mexico threads and on Facebook. It is up on the Hotel Los Arcos website now.

Check out www.banamichimexico.com and our hotel website shown below for info about the area.

Contact us through this site, at pm, email at tom@losarcossonora.com or info@losarcossonora.com, through our hotel site or call on our US or Mex lines.
    USA 520-333-2655
    Mex 623-231-0289

Andale!
    95Monster, Raconnol and Puma0530 like this.
  4. bmwarabia

bmwarabia Harvey in Antigua

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. We need more of these.
    Harvey

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
  5. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    We do, a bit farther South :lol3
  6. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Do it!!
    Animo likes this.
  7. MatttheHatt

MatttheHatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone give me an idea of daily expenses for someone who is comfortable camping (anywhere) and happy to eat cheap. Me and my buddy will likely be living out of backpacks for 2 weeks this November or next to prerun some sections of the B1k in preparation for a go at it in a couple of years.
  8. Normlas

Normlas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my KLR
    I managed to live on around $40 to $45 USD per day in Baja a couple of months ago, staying in cheap hotels (not hostels) and eating mainly street food, including petrol but not including extra costs like ferries, insurance, parts etc. Camping you should be able to do $25 to $35 USD per day is my guess, especially if you are happy to wild-camp, which you could easily do in a fair few places in the Baja desert. Check out my RR (link in my signature) for spots and prices. Bus and taxi costs might put that up a little though.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  9. MatttheHatt

MatttheHatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect! I had been calculating everything on $50us/Day because I know I can do that here if I am careful.
    My plan is to get as much time on the B1k course as we can, likely camping in the boonies near the course if we can.

We will be on a CRF450x and maybe a KLX300 so everything will have to go into a small backpack. I don't expect too much extra sight-seeing, because I think it will be amazing as it is and I want to get time on the bikes.

Thanks for the info!
    SkizzMan likes this.
  10. Mayamoto

Mayamoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. I'll be riding from LA to Copper Canyon in a few weeks. I'm planning to cross the border in Yuma, spend the night in Los Algodones and then head to Hermosillo or Banámichi. Is there any strong argument against crossing in Yuma, as opposed to, say, Sonoita, Naco or Agua Prieta?
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Mayamoto,
    No Banjercito in Algodones, San Luis or Soynota. The nearest will be in Pitiquito, just past Caborca heading SE on Mex 2.

There is some impressive desert landscape between San Luis Colorado and Sonoyta but it is flat, straight and in places lots of trucks.

Better option is Nogales. Cross at Mariposa gate to avoid the crazy downtown traffic Get papers at KM 21 on Mex2. Take Son 52 east to the Rio Sonora route, Son 089 at Sinoquipe. That's just up the road from us here in Banámichi. All good road except for the neverending construction on Mex 15D which is manageable. (There is a road report on the website in my sig line)

upload_2018-5-3_16-48-43.png
    toowoomba likes this.
  12. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom. FWI, San Luis Colorado does have a Banjercito. It is on the right, just after crossing the border. I have been issued a TVIP there a couple of times and turned them in a few times, and it has always been an easy experience. When getting one you do have to walk across the street and south a little to get photocopies. Also, when turning in your TVIP, there is a Banjercito parking lot on Av. Captain Carlos G. Calles where you need to park. Sometimes there is a Banjercito employee with a handheld device that can cancel the TVIP on the spot. Other times you need to walk to the Banjercito to fetch the employee.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  13. Mayamoto

Mayamoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, guys.
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Planning a long trip to the USA on my Sonoran Plated bike, with a Sonaran driver's license and US insurance sold to me by my Mexican insurance company. I no longer have a US state issued license. I'm 100% legal in both countries.

In my rides to AZ, NM and Colorado I have had almost no issues other than an AZ cop asking me for a document authorizing me to operate a vehicle in AZ. I pointed to my Sonora license in his hand and told him he was looking at it - no further discussion on that.

Have any of you travelled extensively in the US with a foreign plate and license? Any hassles, any issues? I have downloaded the 1949 Organization of the American States agreement on DL reciprocity and the Texas DMV document on the same.

Any advice?
    Gracias
  15. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom, How's things? I have been wondering the same thing. This year I received my permanente , imported my old BMW and got my Mex license and Insurance. I'll be curious to see how it goes on my first trip up to Colo this summer. I'm guessing my Mex plates will stir up more problems there than my US plates did in Mexico. My Colo plates always got me the Honored guest type treatment in Mex. I'll see in a month or two.
  16. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have traveled to the US many times in MX plated vehicles with no problems.

Just make sure that your Mexican insurance company will cover liability in the US. Most do, but you might have to call to confirm or pay a bit more.

Keep in mind that in the US, your Mexican insurance policy will only cover liability for an accident involving your Mexican plated vehicle. It will not cover a loaner or rental vehicle, as a typical US originated policy would. In other words, if you don't own an insured US vehicle, then make sure that you buy the liability insurance if you rent a car in the US.
    VTbeemer and SkizzMan like this.
  17. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Thanks SR
    I ride in AZ, NM and CO often where they see Mexican plates more often. It's farther east that I worry about with cops unfamiliar with foreign plated vehicles. I guess the AZ county cop not wanting to accept my Sonora license has me a bit spooked.

Btw, I now have my separate Moto DL to go with my license to drive a car. My DLs are in both Spanish and English.
    I have my insurance with both US and Canadian liability but I'm having difficulty in getting a proof of ins card from them. They keep telling me to just print the entire 90 odd pages of the policy and show the cop page 68 (in Spanish). They don't understand why this won't work for a cop on the side of the road. I have one for the car. Strange but I'll figure it out.

No US plated cars anymore. The exclusion for rental cars is spelled out in the policy I will check and verify that my US credit cards give me insurance for rental cars should I need one.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Tag,
    All good here in Banamichi. Now you are legal to ride over for a visit. It looks like I'll be in CO the end of June or early July.
    The AZ cop who stopped me was a bit taken aback when I removed my lid and he found himself looking at a aging American hippie with long graying hair and speaking with a slight NY accent (for affect, I lost my NY accent long ago :D) But the fact that he didn't seem to think that I was legal driving on my Sonora license made for an interesting moment. He probably got straightened out on the law when he called in. I didn't get a ticket.

You might want to print out the OAS treaty info for your tank bag just for grins.

I've ridden to CO with Sonora plates twice with no issues, never was stopped. Lots of riding in AZ and this was my first issue.

Do you still have your CO license? Did you get a Sonora MC license? Technically you need a separate Sonora DL for operating a car and another for a moto. Different from the endorsement on most US state's DLs.

Stay cool, enjoy the beach.
  19. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My last Colo license was lost in the mail upon renewal last June, they said "No problem, just come on in and we will issue you a new one". There was no other way to get it but in person. I was so close to my permanente I waited and got both my Moto and Auto license here. To Hell with the US DMV! I have always had my All of Mex permit for my bike from the day I moved down, I didn't come here to hang out in Sonora. Dana and I just got back from a 2 month ride from here to Cancun and everywhere in between, this was our 2nd trip down but this time we took the time to stay and enjoy many places we had seen the first trip. I love this place!
    SkizzMan, Turkeycreek and jimmex like this.
  20. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tom
    I have never had any issues. I have been stopped in NM a couple of times and in Nevada. In NM it was between I10 and the border and they treated my like any other traffic stop. However both times was in a car and not the moto. In Nevada i don’t think he knew what he was looking at but he didn’t want to show his ignorance and everything worked out ok.
    When I was stopped I had an extra booklet that was the US insurance issued by a Mexican company and I gave that to them and they looked at it and handed it back. No issues what so ever.
    As long as your license and plates and insurance dates are good, you should have no problem. I have traveled in the states you mentioned but have not been stopped in them. Have a fun trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turkeycreek and SkizzMan like this.