ADV Riders "Mexico"

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Ymarzuca, Mar 18, 2014.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    San Luis Banjercito hours are 8:00 - 00:00 daily.
  2. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not Tecate? You can enjoy the twisty roads down through the mountains SE of LA and then a great mountain pass section between Tecate and Mexicali. Definitely pay the toll and take the bypass around Mexicali though.

_
    Mayamoto and Animo like this.
  3. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done that a few times with Quintana Roo plates and a Quintana Roo Drivers License, from MX to Canada. Spent a couple of weeks in the US in between. I had my insurance with http://segurogringo.com

I never had a problem, but then again I was never pulled over by a cop.

On my first drive (2015) I was stopped once between Calexico and San Diego, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, at a road block. They only asked me for my passport, which is Italian. All I got was a head shake out of that. He handed me back my passport and said, "Arrivederci!" with a smile and I was on my way.

At a gas station somewhere North of Los Angeles a State Trooper walked by, looked at my tags and said, "You're pretty far away from home." I'm not sure why that made me laugh, but I guess I felt that I had come a long way. "Yeah, definitely. I am almost there tho. I'm driving to Vancouver!" He had been on vacation in Cancun a couple of years earlier and we just talked a bit about the drive and his vacation..... Good guy. He never asked for my papers.

I did that drive 4 times, back and forward, Zigzagging across Western US every time without any incident. As long as you have your DL, passport and your MX residency card I truly doubt you will have a problem.

You brought back a ton of great memories, they were amazing road trips.

My only advice? Just don't go over the speed limit and everything will be alright. You will not be in Mexico any more :norton
    SkizzMan and jimmex like this.
  4. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I admit that I like to go fast. My several trips to Colorado and back were without problems. The thing that got me started on this was the county cop in AZ who didn't believe my Sonora DL was valid since I'm a gringo. This was in sight of the border in Sierra Vista, AZ. (this was my first ever traffic stop on a bike*) So now I'm thinking about what could happen in rural Alabama or Kentucky when Barney Fife pulls me over even though I have all my docs in order. I'm always reminding myself that just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
    I'm sure that as soon as I cross the Rio Bacanuchi heading north I'll calm down.

Thanks to all who responded.

* I was stopped years ago in Denver while riding my 81 Enfield with the sidecar. The cop said I didn't do anything wrong and that he had seen me a few times before and just wanted to ask me about the bike. We talked for 10 mins and I told him I had to get to work. I had mixed feelings about the encounter.
    Animo and jimmex like this.
  5. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    The Bacanuchi slime will probably be your worst obstacle!
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    That's a good thought and I'll hold onto it. Thanks.

We did have 2 bikes out of 3 in a group on the way to the hotel go down just last week. The lead bike (2-up) slid out and his buddy went down trying to avoid him. The 3rd bike stopped before entering he river. Everyone OK, a few scrapes on the side cases is all. He allowed he may have twisted on a bit 'o throttle while still in the 2 to 3 inch deep water.

Abrazos CJ