ADV Riders "Mexico"

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Ymarzuca, Mar 18, 2014.

1. franko

franko Adventurer

Oddometer:

Great lead. Many thanks
  2. Mainecoons

Mainecoons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also take a look at this:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tech/OGSWTTv10.pdf

I did a little reading on this and it seems the usual practice is to replace BMW spoked rims because they are so darn hard to straighten. HOWEVER, this is Mexico and people here are geniuses at fixing stuff.

If it can't be fixed, Ride Endless is a good source for used but good replacement parts as well.

Good luck and let me know if we local riders at Lake Chapala can do anything else to help you.
  3. franko

franko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting read. Will have a local shop try and straighten. Doubtful it will be as good as new so a trip to Guadalajara is is my near future. Ride Endless appears to be right on. Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
  4. Lunatic

Lunatic Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer:
    DOWN ON THE BORDER , LAS CRUCES, NUEVO MEHICO
    I need a 130/80 -18 tire.

Can anybody help:ear
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    These guys can't help you?

[​IMG]
  6. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Where are you?
  7. ksop

ksop BMW GSA

Oddometer:
    Thanks to pax Macc for helping me navigate Mexico city today on my gsa. I could not have done it without him. If anyone is near pueblo and is heading south let me know, I could use the company.

Ksop
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    He's in MC, Roy.
  9. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are in San Felipe and headed to Gonzoga Bay to camp and hopefully Cococ corner and then Hiway 1. We are 2up on a new Super Tenere...and heavy....is the unpaved stretch of road doable for 2up if we go slow. No way do I want to drop this bike with my (skeptical) wife on the back...anyone have a recent road report on the unpaved section?
  10. mike baldwin

mike baldwin n00b

Oddometer:
    Hola a todos yo vivo en Guanajuato estoy planeando un viaje con un amigo rumbo Argentina Ushuaia, salimos en Diciembre de este año la primera semana un saludo.
  11. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike...we have rented an apartment for a month in SMA in the centro area. We plan to resume our way south the first week in December. If you are down this way and need a place to stay for a day or 2 email us at svsilverfin@gmail.com
  12. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

We are currently on a trip to south America from northern California and will be departing Zihuatanejo towards the end of the week. The plan is to head up to Lerma to stop in at BMW. It looks like the most direct route is 134 which is through the heart of Guerrero. Has anyone here ridden that road??

Thanks in advance,

-Terry
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden it a few times; really beautiful ride but also a bit notorious for highwaymen. The most remote stretch is between Ixtapa and Altamirano. I would do it again but don't dally on the side of the road. Report back how it goes. Saludos.
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Terry,

Personally I would bet on the major cuotas over 134. That would be 37D, 14D, 15D to Toluca. These roads typically offer a higher level of security than secondary roads like 134. Adds almost 2 hours to your trip, I know.

Either way it's usually best to get an early start (dawn) and be off the road by mid-afternoon.

Buena suerte,

Schizz
  15. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly if we take that route. We've already discussed a very early start time buy may choose the cuota instead. Either way we rarely are on the road past 2 or 3pm regardless.

Many thanks for the info.
  16. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was your feel of the general vibe in Zihuatanejo ? I plan on riding down and meeting my wife there for Christmas. and watching the news is causing some stress in the household right now. I am also interested in your feelings about your route to Toluca as the one described above is close to the way I was planning to use to get to lake Chapala after I leave Zihuatanejo.
  17. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    We ended up taking the toll road 37 to Morelia as it felt like a better idea given where we were. I'm sure 134 would have been fine but didn't want to tempt fate. All of the other routes we have taken have been trouble free and non toll roads.

As far as Zihuatanejo, we felt safe where ever we were in town and there was much police presence. There were 5 or 6 military trucks heading in to the area as we were leaving this morning which hasn't been unusual in some places we have been. The local restaurants and business are hurting a bit waiting for high season to start soon. The big annoyance was the high pressure to get us to come in. The few other Americans we met where we stayed had no trouble either and had been coming there for years. Of course your mileage may vary.....

-Terry
  18. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    Our lodging in Mexico City (friends of friends) has been delayed until Tuesday. We are staying in Morelia for 2 nights at a hostel while we explore the area but are looking to stay closer to the city Saturday through Monday nights before heading in. Does anyone have any budget minded recommendations closer to the city?? I thought we'd start here....:D

Thanks in advance,

Terry
  19. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    Our lodging in Mexico City (friends of friends) has been delayed until Tuesday. We are staying in Morelia for 2 nights at a hostel while we explore the area but are looking to stay closer to the city Saturday through Monday nights before heading in. Does anyone have any budget minded recommendations closer to the city?? I thought we'd start here....:D

Thanks in advance,

Terry
  20. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding my V-Strom down to Puerto Penasco next week, anyone have recommendations for a moto-friendly, inexpensive hotel in the area?

Thanks--