ADV Rides in NZ, Are the Glory Days Gone?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Adventure Moto, Aug 26, 2019.

?

Do you like to ride in group rides.

Poll closed Sep 16, 2019.
  1. Yes, I am fine with group rides

38.2%
  2. No, I prefer to ride on my own

20.6%
  3. I prefer to ride just with my mates in small groups.

58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    So, for a little while now I have been pondering `what happened to the good old days` of ADV rides in this country and are they gone for good.

I think back to a time 5 years ago when there were lots of organized rides started mainly through the Kiwi Biker website. I know all the reasons why that site is not used so much now but most of the inmates are still around and have some sort of presence on ADV Rider so why have the rides fallen by the wayside.

In no specific order I remember some great rides and some great people who I met on those rides.

Wellington Area Adventure ride -Round the Ruahine Ranges -Coromandel Camp out weekends

King country Adventure rides -Taranaki Adventure rides -Midwinter Madness rides.

Kaipara Adventure ride -Great Barrier Island ADV Ride.

Hawkes bay Adv ride -Cape to Cape ADV ride

Top of the South invasion -The Original Dusty Butt!!.

These are just the rides that come instantly to mind and there have been many others, besides.

Mostly organized by locals who lived in the general area, some had as many as 35 riders turn up and I remember very little drama`s.
    Nowadays it seems that Facebook has taken over and most people are riding in small groups in their own areas.

Over the last 2 weekends I have been out and about on the bike in roads that I know well in the Coromandel ( following the NZ rally champs ) and doing what used to be my standard `go to loop` around Mt Pirongia to Kawhia & Raglan. What I noticed over booth weekends is how the tarmac sections seem to be getting a bit longer each year.
    So someday soon some of the areas we used to frequent on those great rides above will be no longer available to us.

As for the organized rides, there is now only `Epic Events` doing the longway round and the Dusty Butt now Mike Britton has shut up shop in NZ.
    I don’t count the likes of the KTM & Ducati Rallies because I won’t pay $2000 + for a ride mainly on public roads.

So is there still the interest for these `Homemade` ADV rides where we all get together to ride for a weekend and talk a bit of bullshit afterwards.
    We have great Rides & Routes in our own back yards but are we keeping them just to ourselves.

How does that famous quote go ……… `Build it and they will come`:y0!
  2. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been involved in organizing many rides, going back to the Kiwi Rider 500, the Pirongia and Te Mata ones etc

It just ain't worth it any more.
    Health & Safety is a nightmare, as are some of the riders.
    We announced, and then postponed (because of M.Bovis) a BMW GS ride at National Park some time ago.
    I'm not sure that's going to go ahead...
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    There's an Auckland to Cape Reinga rally and back Labour weekend. See adventure riding nz site. Goes through some great back roads. We will see how many turn up for that. There's occasionally one or two others on the same forum.

Personally i think the time of the big group rides may have passed and people prefer small groups of people they know well. But that might just be me.

Bottom line though is if you think its worth doing then organise one yourself and see what happens. If you're not interested in organising yourself then you have answered your own question :-)
    young1 likes this.
  4. Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i get the Health and Safety and Compliance Issues for the paid ADV rides, but it doesn't need to be an issue for the `turn up on the day and follow me` type rides.
    Micawberism and young1 like this.
  5. Oscar

Oddometer:

OH yeah, I was just having a whinge about it...
    young1 likes this.
  6. Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    That is really what i am trying to gauge, if the interest has gone or not.
    As for organizing a ride myself, I have done so many times ( with some of the rides mentioned in the 1st post ) and will do so again if the interest is still there.:snore
    young1 likes this.
  7. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting..
    Maybe a few reasons.
    A lot of people either seem very busy or at the other end of the spectrum, very lazy (and hence very broke).
    Also mountain biking is so popular these days that it may have had an effect.

Personally I've been a bit obsessed with my trials bike so the 690 hasn't been getting enough use. Definitely want to get it out more though as the weather gets better..
  8. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good memories Mark, you got to add (quickly off the top of my head), the WWWW ride, TTTTT ride, Somewhere to Nowhere ride, MAPMEA ride etc

Now can anyone remember what those abbreviations mean? Phil you’re not allowed to enter!

Now I have my bike going again I would quite like to do another WWWW ride from 2007 (and even I have forgotten how many Ws I need to put or without going to the other site what it meant)
  9. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I've always preferred to ride by myself - my space. And now officially an old fart I avoid other motorcycles if possible. If I'm thinking of stopping at a cafe, pub, fish & chip shop, and I see motorcycles there, I keep going...find somewhere else quiet to stop. Motorcyclists are not like me anymore...they used to be, now they are people I don't know, and don't want to know.
    bart-nz likes this.
  10. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    Change is the only constant.
  11. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always keen. Out of area rides are the best...

EddieB also organised the Central Plateau runs a few years ago, & some of the North Island Invasion of the South rides.

Phil organised a couple of excellent runs last year, the Taranaki Tunnel Tour & the Wanganui Wander. Before that the two Cape to Cape runs.

I don't organise local rides here like I did. To an extent because I needed to find new places to capture my attention. In part because of health/injuries. In part because my attention has moved elsewhere. In part because life is like a box of chocolates (or the riders that turned up anyways...).

Re the local rides, others filled that gap, then the rides they organised got too big, then collapsed. And new people came in. It's a cyclical thing.

Yes, some of the social aspect of the KB forum has moved to Facebook. Good & bad. That is a lot more ephemeral, & fragmented.
    bart-nz, Manakau.KTM and young1 like this.
  12. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have organised a few rides over the years, mainly when I lived in the Bay. I enjoy out of town rides but like Steve, health and injuries limit my participation these days. Smaller group/day rides are just easier to organise and I still arrange the odd one when I can. Last one was up Takapari road, only a few guys turned but a great day all the same. IMG_1715.JPG
  13. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my area a couple of the dealers organise a Sunday ride about once a month that get a good turn out.

I no longer do large group rides. The stupidity of how some ride in group rides belies belief and the number of near misses is to high for my liking.

I now ride with just a few friends.

I also help organise a tour ride about once a year through a small group of people who belong to a small informal club we started a few years ago. Membership is by invite only to reduce the dickhead factor.
  14. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    A few mates used to organise an Adv ride once a month down here and I organised a monthly road ride. It can be hard work and some of the issues we saw:
    • It was always left to us to organise the ride and often people expected a lot...It would have been nice if some of the other regulars put their hands up once in a while to organise or even just to suggest a route.
    • People were asked to RSVP (so we could let cafes etc know how many to expect) but often didn't bother.
    • People inviting mates we didn't know along and sometimes these peeps were a problem (mostly on the blacktop rides - Squids).
    • People dragging the chain
    • People complaining about how the rides were run. In particular, the corner man system...
    • Another interesting thing was that occasionally others would organise there own rides but not think to extend invites to the guys organising a monthly ride for them...slightly weird.
    I'll still organise the odd one here and there but generally am ok with just one or two mates or a solo strop.

There's very few organised (say charity riders) road rides I'll do these days as they tend to attract boatloads of anchors with riders that can't ride/are dangerous. Adv rides are a little different as there's normally not a lot of difference in riding skills (most people are pretty competent) and the fast boys can disappear if they want and not get too far away from the pack .

Re-reading my list, it seems that people are the problem ;)
  15. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Good topic. Yes there used to be quite a few and they were great, especially the out of town rides, meeting new people etc. I miss them. Maybe the percieved complexity of sorting acommodation, access,gps etc is off putting for budding organisers. Doesn't have to be that way.
    rogirwin and Takataka like this.
  16. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    And, we have all been everywhere. Sometimes several times.
    Mark_S and MrKiwi like this.
  17. Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Mike, all those acronyms have jogged my memory a bit. The Taranaki crew have certainly done their part in organizing these rides over the years.I had just lumped them all together under the Taranaki Rides Group.

EVLED, I know that you have been proactive in organizing rides.
    I remember a group ride you organized around the middle of last year but sadly i couldn't attend as my bike was out of the country at the time.
    People moaning and complaining certainly does make you wonder why you bother, but my experience is with ADV riding most of the people have been appreciative.
    I think that the corner man system works great. It allows everyone to ride at their own pace and it also spreads the group out a bit so that some of the dangers of riding in a group are negated / lessened.

I also think that sometimes less is more, ie..... When you run regular / Monthly rides it is easier for people to not commit ( i will do it next time ) but if it is a once or twice a year scenario that it is a bigger deal if you miss out
    as the next ride wont come round so soon ( or these days not at all ).
    KiwiPewe, dazzadm, glitch_oz and 4 others like this.
  18. Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Yep Jamie, you are right there but often we just stick to our own area`s ( because that is where we can get to and from in a days riding ).
    Sometimes what can be `same old same old` to us can be different and exiting to people from farther afield.

For example, I have done the Dusty Butt 7 times now and whilst not as exiting for me as it was the first time I still look forward to the next time I will ride there.
    Ducatijim and Night Falcon like this.
  19. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    About time for another King Country ride innit? :D:D

The only reason the MMMMM had to go underground was that the Matawai pub shut & it was difficult to make the route work otherwise. I found that once it got past about 20 people having a routesheet/GPS track made it a lot easier on the day for the organiser & lets the pointy end of the pack get to the pub sooner rather than waiting for ages on the last few corners. It's also a lot less dusty if it's a summer ride. The trick is to structure things so you organise as little as possible, just devise a route & suggest a spot for lunch/dinner.

Hopefully we can keep a few rides going, the interesting diversions on a route plotted by a true local are great & the beer & bullshit sessions are always good fun.

Cheers
    Clint
    Kempy and EVLED like this.
  20. Oscar

Oddometer:
    We've pretty much resorted to inviting only people we know.
    All of your problems with who is coming and people bring mates and people getting lost are very familiar.

I've formed a variation on the Red Uniform theory:
    [​IMG]

Basically every time someone invites a mate, something goes wrong with that guy or his bike.
    We've had guys who decided that the riding was too hard and refused to go on, guys who were expert at everything riding and didn't hesitate to give an opinion, just before crashing and/or getting lost, and my favourite, Mr Speedway, who thought that the last gasp pass into a gravel corners showering you with shit was really cool...
    KiwiPewe, dazzadm, glitch_oz and 5 others like this.