ADV Rides in NZ, Are the Glory Days Gone?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Adventure Moto, Aug 26, 2019.

?

Do you like to ride in group rides.

Poll closed Sep 16, 2019.
  1. Yes, I am fine with group rides

38.2%
  2. No, I prefer to ride on my own

20.6%
  3. I prefer to ride just with my mates in small groups.

58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Group rides are good if everyone is there for the same or similar things, which unfortunately with random internet people is often not the case.

Some people just like riding, and want to be taken to new roads. Some people would prefer to stand around and kick tyres all day.

Facebook is good in a way - there is less bravado and more honesty around personal skills.

My theory is to plan a ride I want to do, then invite others.
    young1 and Night Falcon like this.
  2. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    While I generally mess around on my own, I'm quite happy to participate in smaller groups.
    What amazes me is that often you end up meeting people who'd you'd probably never meet otherwise,
    and so far every new acquaintance has been a genuine good bastard!
    Hopefully the lull in group meet-ups is just a seasonal thing, and will ramp up a bit as weather warms.......
    glitch_oz, EVLED, young1 and 3 others like this.
  3. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Definitely one of the bonuses!
  4. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    I've experienced that too. And a mate got it a while back - a clown on a 690 showered him and broke one of his spotlights. He didn't notice it at the time but did get the guy back - 1090's can throw stuff better than 690's ;)
  5. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Clint, you are right we are long overdue for another King Country Ride.
    But ...... I have a RIDE further north in mind first ....:hide....... Just working out some bits with mother nature.

The king country ride may have to wait a few months ( Give the 42nd traverse time to dry out a bit too ) :smile6
  6. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    FWIW, same type of trend is occurring here in the US, the day rides and weekend camp out rides just don't occur like they once did.
  7. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more Muzz, to me that is what the group riding is all about.
    Meeting great people, and most do turn out to be good bastards.

I can ride on my own and in my own area anytime I want, going where I want to go and at the pace I want to - pleasing only myself. But the novelty of that does wear off.:sick
    glitch_oz and Muzz67 like this.
  8. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    I was having my ears prick up at your suggestion of a kc ride Mark......then I saw the 42nd, not for me on my softventureer with a ruined wrist, pinned neck and niggling sciatica, sorry, no way.
    So, there is why I don’t imbibe anymore, gotta pick my terrain these days.
    So, add aging and degeneration to the reasons times have changed.
    Que sera.
  9. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Maybe age is playing a part. How many of us are in our 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s? My guess is 50s and over.
    dazzadm likes this.
  10. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    Yep, well over, slowing me down in most things I ever enjoyed, and everything I don’t.
  11. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Possibly the hours of work is not the old Mon to Fri it used to be may have an impact, not everyone gets weekends on a Sat/Sun nowadays?
  12. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, i'll wade in.

I organised a few rides years ago. It came to a head on one RRRR when over 40 riders turned up. Even with the cornerman system we managed to loose a couple of riders. What a nightmare trying to find them again. I gained access through some Tararua/Hawkes bay coastal stations. Some of the muppets had no sense around animals and spooked the hell out of one of the station owners horses. He found it about 5 paddocks from where it should have been, in very bad shape. You can imagine the reception I got a few days later when I rang him to thank him for access. I got told, not very politely, where I could shove my f'n motorcycle (horse people...you know the type).

I've been on the odd big ride since, but honestly haven't enjoyed them as much as the rides a decade ago.

The big thing for me is rides now are over organised. Big fat bikes, GPS routes, and time tables. What happened to the 'lets meet up at so-and-so and go exploring'. Perhaps I'm more into bush bashing than just riding down endless gravel roads at 60kmh. That Naki Nutters mud ride, now there's team building.

bart-nz_Naki%20Nutters%20Liquifaction%20Tour%20May%202011_IMG_1349.jpg

On a personal level, I do shift work (as you can probably tell), and have a young family (must stop breeding). The few weekends I get off are like gold. Also a broken foot a few years ago gives me problems when standing on the bike. Might be time for a road bike.

OK, rant over. I'm packing the bike up in a few hours and heading to the Cold Kiwi.
    Micawberism, Mc107, dazzadm and 8 others like this.
  13. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Ahh good times. I remember them well -They were all good apart from the bloody cape to cape with no fricking coffee till 3pm! Yeah Taranaki crew I am still stewing on that one!
    Things are cyclic. I've found that people I come across at work that I used to discuss motos with have now sold them & instead got into E-MTBs.
    Micawberism, Pete-NZ, young1 and 2 others like this.
  14. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow glad you don't hold grudges lol.

Hear what you are saying about E-MTBs, some of the places I have ridden, and the places I am allowed to ride, on my mtb are amazing.
  15. foo

foo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    E-MTB. I had to google that. Never heard of them until this thread. Checked with my daughter who races, she said great if you are over 75 :D

Anyway made for an interesting read and I see the attraction, even though I'm still too young :-)
  16. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what they are worth here are my thoughts.
    Once upon a time I stumbled upon Adventure Riding. I couldn't ride of road to save myself and was always ruurrlly happy when someone else fell off first so I didn't look like a right cock. Nobody wore flash as shit (who can forget the sight of Deano flying along in his bright yellow line sevens, two coke bottles of 91 hanging by bailing twine off the arse of his bike). There were no airs and graces, lots of laughs and a general acceptance of all comers. The standard motto was "photos or it didn't happen".
    The first hit I witnessed was the economic downturn. Lots of guys suddenly didn't have the spare cash and the spare time any more. Everyone was too busy working and trying to get by to have fun.
    A few entrepreneurs entered the market and created some very slick web sites and marketing. It all suddenly became very professional and expensive. You had to have the right bike with the right suspension setup accompanied by the right helmet, jacket and leggings.
    The straw that broke the camels back for me was when riders started taking G.P.S tracks of rides that had been organised through private lands and then selling them. Areas that had been open became closed. It stopped being fun (for me anyway) organising group rides.
    That said the biggest issue I face at present is that thing called shift work. That and a mix of inertia.
    Might go get my bike dirty next days off :-)
    bart-nz, dazzadm and glitch_oz like this.
  17. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    Did that ever happen though? I mean if it's private land you'll know about it soon enough GPS track or not. But if public? That's just selling the time it took to format and upload the track in a presentable manner. A bit of a different scenario.
  18. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite...without gpx, knowledge doesn't spread at any noticeable rate and often "trespassing" was ignored if occurring once in a while.
    With gpx numbers grow uncontrollably and sanctions logically follow.
    Commercial sellers or "social" networking/ FB etc.....once there's a pile of publicly available, easily downloadable (paid or not) gpx files available,
    it's "curtains" for goodwill and leniency by landowners and authorities.
    The reason we see more and more tracks closed.
    Micawberism likes this.
  19. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    I understand that but has that ever occurred in NZ?

The only website I know of which 'sells' gpx files, or routes, whatever format they are goes through serious pains to ensure the tracks are viable, public and even does the max fuel leg calculations for you. It's hardly just a flat list of GPX files which criss cross through farms with a paywall in front.

The other website, while free, is cumbersome and suffers from similar issues you guys have raised - everyone is happy to download routes but no one bothers to put the effort into uploading more.
  20. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember going on a ride organised by someone at KB.
    We were heading into Raglan when someone decided to turn right into Okete.
    Two idiots stopped in the middle of the road (remember this is SH23 on a Sunday), but then two bigger idiots stopped on the left, giving the traffic just over a cars width to aim at.
    I shot the gap, went up the road and turned around, expecting to find the road littered with bodies, but somehow no was killed....