ADV Rides in NZ, Are the Glory Days Gone?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Adventure Moto, Aug 26, 2019.

?

Do you like to ride in group rides.

Poll closed Sep 16, 2019.
  1. Yes, I am fine with group rides

38.2%
  2. No, I prefer to ride on my own

20.6%
  3. I prefer to ride just with my mates in small groups.

58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You only have to look back through this forum to find GPX files of rides from the dusty but to the Taranaki tunnels tour.
    Anybody who goes on any ride now just sets there GPS to record there track and then these are collected for future reference. These soon get shared around.
    I have collected a heap just from this website

Just saying
    WR
    Mc107 and dazzadm like this.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meh, perception and reality are seldom the same. There's a whole lot of reasons why routes and tracks are getting closed down in greater numbers....drop kicks are part of the cause but there have always been idiots who get up landowners noses.....and sometimes even the best intentions and care taken can turn to custard and annoy a landowner....some folks are easily annoyed, have ya ever noticed that?

The internet has become the modern mob hanging....put up some behaviour that infuriates the crowd as a reason for some problem, sit back and watch the hangin.....works for Trump.

I suspect the reason/s group rides are on the decline are more likely to be the same old things that have plagued mankind for generations:

1. the effort to organise them is always left to the same few
    2. those same few have lost (for whatever reason) the energy, will, desire, passion to keep doing it year after year.

EDIT: just playin wid ya's....the real reasons are evil gpx files, plonkers, and dedicated followers of fashion who pour scorn on those not equipped with the latest gear/bike......find em and hand em I says......:hung
    Kempy, young1, EVLED and 3 others like this.
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the rides I have organized or helped organize, have been small groups of mates, all wanting to have fun within our limits, but still with a challange in there somewhere. Being mates we all know how we ride and it works.:ricky

It has been when some one invites their mates along that things have got scary, dangerous or otherwise worrisome.:dirtdog

I've also had the pleasure of assisting to organize paid for events. These take time for planning to the next level. Arranging access, permits etc and then on the day, you get that idiot who spoils it for everyone, and you have to go back to landowners to calm the water down... :ban

I have also been on the those rides that someone else organizes and have always enjoyed it and appreciated their time and effort to run it.:ricky

I still think people will organize rides but the younger riders need to realise that it is them who have to start taking some ownership of who actually is organising the next ride. Some of the old hands who have been doing for years are starting to get tired of doing it and are ready to retire from the responsibility.:gerg

As it happens, I'm in the process of planning another ride with mates shortly...:-)
    moto74, young1, Micawberism and 2 others like this.
  4. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Brainflex, moto74, oldbeer and 3 others like this.
  5. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Good thread Mark, I used to organize rides up here a few years ago now but life gets in the way. I had a bit of a flurry of trying to organize an auckland ride last year with sod all response so I am primarily riding off road only now. I will join you on the Kaipara ride time permitting but my only other adventure riding is the Dusty Butt now so am not sure how much enthusiasm I have.
    Be good to catch up and see who is still staggering around. I will let El and Roger know about the Kaipara ride.
    Cheers, Iain.
  6. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm, here are my random thoughts. I've been around adventure riding for a good long while now. Not right from the beginning of the Kiwi Rider events, the Taranaki tunnel tours organised by Bruce Marshall and the BMW Safaris but for the last 20 years or so have done a fair bit riding and organising. These early rides had 100 riders or more and often used lots of private land. ( the Tunnel Tour I organised for Mike Britten used 13 farms ). They took a MASSIVE amount of effort. I did route sheets for 350km of adv and a 380 km road ride. I doubt we will see these rides run again unless done by professional groups. I enquired a good while back about access through TeWera forest and we would have needed at least $2 million public liability insurance for the ride would have to pay forestry staff to unlock gates etc.
    Enter the Kiwi Biker and then AdvRider events. Usually between 15-25 riders. Mainly public roads. Pretty easy to organise. I too have fond memories of these rides. Had some great weekends away, meet a lot of great people and made a lot of friends. Even the time spent organising these events with Colin and Mike and sussing out new places was usually fun.
    Sometimes the shine was taken off these rides with some grizzling, the ride was to long, to short, to hard, to dusty, somebody passed me too fast, etc.
    Then there's the ride with ya mates. Even easier to organise, easier to change plans due to weather etc.
    you can usually cover more ground with a small group. With the bigger groups time runs away at stops. 350 km is a good distance for a bigger group. And it's easier to keep " secret places" secret amongst ya mates.
    I've enjoyed riding all types of the rides, on big bikes and small.
    Not sure what's in the future, although both bikes I have at the moment are 1000cc.
    dazzadm, KiwiPewe, glitch_oz and 3 others like this.
  7. Kempy

Kempy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting read - i think Facebook groups have fragmented things, here in Hawke’s Bay we meet regularly and you know everyone’s riding style unless like last summer unlucky 13 (of 40+) turned up. That said we have a laugh, hoon, fall off and drink too much afterwards and still respect land owners and stock.

Once a year a South Island trip is organised which doesn’t get many takers due to time off work and stuff, GPS tracks are invaluable to get the most out of limited time off work and planning an interesting route.

On larger group rides GPS tracks are way better than corner man as with corner man you end up riding at the pace of the slowest rider and stopping way too much which can be painfully slow if all you want to do is ride all day, not their fault just the result of that format.
  8. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This probably but electric

WR
  9. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I put a GoPro camera on that with a gadget link to a "cloud" and some more flash apps on my phone I could watch my bike ride itself while enjoying a coffee at Starbucks :lol3
    KiwiPewe, bart-nz and Whale Rider like this.
  10. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really interesting thread. I lived in the UK (18 years) and so most of my adult riding has been in Europe. The riding scene is night and day over there - the squids and chavs can have their facebook stuff, and the good rides are usually through clubs; the most active ones the BMW and KTM forums. But also Horizons Unlimited, Adv Biker, and likely a dozen more. Sure there are more people over there, but of the 5-30 that would generally turn up to an event it was typically the same guys, and all became brilliant riding buddies. Annual events like HUMM I think I'd know several hundred of regulars. This was "adventure riding" and so nearly everyone was experienced, capable, or just willing to listen and learn.

Move to NZ and it just seems DEAD. KiwiBiker seems like a nest of wasps and personal attacks, not even worth signing up. There are the $$$$ KTM and other vendor events, over-subscribed rally type things (tussock buster etc.) that are dominated by MX/Enduro and NZ seems just such a god-awful dangerous place to ride a bike on the road. The shame in realising that on average Kiwi's are some of the very worst drivers on the planet, not to mention the barely-trained tourists. And almost more painful is then having to pay the utterly pathetic road tax/registration $$$, WTF?!!!

For some reason while away in the UK I thought that NZ would have a tight brotherhood of rider communities. I remember when one of the KTM forum members returned from several years in NZ saying that it sucked, and I thought then that he couldn't possibly be right.

Everyone is busy - that's life, but if there are many events you can always get to a few of them. But the events I see are largely paid ones. I think a lot of the events in the UK were simply forums posts saying "anyone up for a ride next month" and away they'd go. And of course land-owners here can simply shut their gates while in the UK and lots of Europe the greenlanes are ROW and so legally cannot be closed unless reclassified. NZ has some wonderful public tracks, but the main repository of them seems to be from a chap that charges for access to the GPX?

Maybe I should look at facebook; deleted that pest of a thing years ago, but if that's where it is at don't suppose there is much choice. What are the groups? Since back I have been exploring the length of NZ in my 4x4 with my missus (she does not do bikes) and I think I can only remember a few dozen sizable groups of adventure riders over that time. Adventure biking is just not that popular here? Up till this post I thought it was just me; a weird Otago/London bastard that was out of the loop in terms of community and rides, but in reading this post it seems not. And it's not like this in other countries? What's Australia like?

Sorry, that was not meant to be a rant, but it's been perplexing me since I returned 2 years ago. Members like OldBeer constantly reach out and make people feel welcome :clap; but I guess it's the absence of a range of events to pick from (not helped that I have been steadily selling bikes bought from the UK due to the registration costs and lack of use).

Motoxnut, good on ya for trying to arrange that ride, I'll very much try to get it committed, looks brilliant.
  11. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience here at Advrider has been pretty good.
    I organised the first AdvRider "Lost Weekend" which featured a bunch of inmates.
    [​IMG]

We met @motu for the first time, and as you can see there were the usual reprobates @vege , Diesel, 4skins, Stretch, Johnny G etc, etc
    We had a great time riding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then carousing...
    [​IMG]

On the Monday I discovered that I'd broken my thumb on Fisher Track on the Saturday:(:
    I guess I was having too much of a good time to notice it:choppa

[​IMG]
    KiwiPewe, glitch_oz and bigkuri like this.
  12. Oscar

Oddometer:
  13. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After my long rant, maybe I should just spend more time reading THIS forum, lol! Awesome looking ride-outs Oscar.
  14. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple more of the old school adv rides were the Wellington ones John Forsyth organised and the ones over Featherston way that Bill Biber organised. The last one of those was about 2010 or 2011. Was a little wet to start with.
    Route sheet rides in those days. The night before the ride was always spent cutting A4 sheets into strips, cellotaping them together straight and rolling them into the click clack route sheet holder. If there was time I would go through the sheets first and highlight important things. Things like when there was a turn soon after another turn.
    The Late Tony Kirby taught me these tricks on the Yamaha 6 day Imperative ride back in 98

Edit, just remembered the rides in the Coromandel. Can't remember who used to organise those. The name John springs to mind. Maybe someone can set me straight.
    The used to start from the school just down the road from Kopu. They used to have caravans you could hire to stay in on the school grounds.
    EVLED likes this.
  15. Oscar

Oddometer:
    John Isdale? Izzard? Esaidale?
    Phreaky Phil likes this.
  16. Oscar

Oddometer:
  17. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg Look what I found. Never throw anything away.
    dazzadm, moto74, Mc107 and 4 others like this.
  18. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stopped by to say that the aforementioned Cape Reinga ride has morphed into something else over a beer tonight. Details will eventually be posted somewhere!! The 4 or 5 of us are assuming we will be the only ones riding but anyone is welcome to join in. We're not very adventurous we just like riding bikes on gravel roads.

Good on you motoxnut for organising your ride, some neat roads in the Kaipara for sure. Hope it all goes well.
    Ducatijim, glitch_oz and young1 like this.
  19. Kiwigber

Kiwigber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ooooo-Looking forward to that one provided I can join in along the way.
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    You got a personal invite mate! Check your emails
    Cheers