ADV Rides in NZ, Are the Glory Days Gone?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Adventure Moto, Aug 26, 2019.

?

Do you like to ride in group rides.

Poll closed Sep 16, 2019.
  1. Yes, I am fine with group rides

38.2%
  2. No, I prefer to ride on my own

20.6%
  3. I prefer to ride just with my mates in small groups.

58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As not one of the old school ADV guys I would say a big part of the problem is the message of rides is not getting to the right market. I can only find them on the ADVNZ FB page. From there I found the KLR Ramblers page and Ive been on a good few of there rides. https://klrramblers.wordpress.com/category/events/

KB is well passed its use by now. Nothing much on there now apart from folk attacking each other. FB is the way to go.

Ive got 2 mates that have just started ADV and are gagging to get into it. So its still about. Maybe if some of the old school offered to help out the new riders with skills it may draw some out.

I have noted that "you must have this Bike, glove, helmet" things a bit. I work on the dont care principle. A KTM790 wont help me enjoy the ride more....

BTW Ive been on this site for ages but didnt know there was a NZ page.....
    bart-nz likes this.
  2. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not on FB but hopefully as the rest of the world moves their lives there I might still hear about the odd event.

I guess I'll just use the time I save to go and ride my bike...:wave
  3. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Funny, this just popped up on my FB feed.

Ok, so, it's happening... the GS Rallye is coming together. I know you want to know details - you're like that... so, here's a bit more about what's happening with the upcoming GS Rallye!

WHERE

Mangawhai, Northland

WHEN

November 8-9, 2019

STUFF

Things are coming together nicely, so this is what you're going to need to know. It is a non-competitive navigational Rallye for Road legal machines on a mixture of gravel and sealed roads in the Kaipara region. Many of the roads we'll be riding have been used in the World Rally Championships over the past 20 years. They're flowing, winding and a heap of fun to ride. The event will start and finish at the Mangawhai Domain Hall.

There are no off-road challenge sections, which means you don't 'have' to fit knobblies... but there's a lot of gravel. We recommend that you do. You know, because grip. Mitas Tyres NZ is putting a package together for all entrants, which will be sent to you once your entry has been processed (we'll let you know details shortly).

ROUTES

There will be two routes. A shorter introduction course of approx 140km. Then there's a longer option, somewhere around 270km. We're scouting the route on a BMW G310GS to which we have fitted a set of Mitas E09s. There may be some BMW models available for a short test ride on the day, but we are awaiting confirmation from BMZ Motorrad NZ.

ACCOMODATION

There's a range of cccommodation options available in Mangawhai and nearby Mangawhai Heads to suit all budgets, as well as a lot of cafés near the start and on the route. You're a big boy/girl... Google is your friend.

ENTRY

The entry fee is $120 inc GST and for that you get a welcome BBQ at signing on (where sausages and abuse will be handed out in equal measure), an event t-shirt, route sheets (or GPS routes), three-course Mexican-styel dinner, a sweep vehicle, and a day riding on some of the best gravel and sealed roads in NZ with a bunch of similarly-minded riders.

There'll be spot prizes/awards with BMW and Mitas products for entrants' choices for Best Presented, Longest Travelled, Oldest Model, and a heap of others we're yet to come up with.

The entry form is being sorted as I type, and will go live soon. Keep an eye on this page for more info.
    dazzadm likes this.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh the irony....2 events on consecutive weekends on much the same roads. Although it doesnt look like the Beemers are going down any beaches.

So the glory days are still here, then. Between those two there's something to please most riders. Some very nice roads in there.

I highly recommend a croque monsieur at the Frog and Kiwi in Mangawhai Township for the full adventure riding experience.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Where are all these people that say you have to have this or that? I've never met any of them. I have found moto communities to be some of the most open minded inclusive and friendly people ive ever come across. I've never got on with KB but you get out what you put in and i have to admit I havent tried very hard there. I like it too much here. The photos are certainly amazing/mouthwatering/inspiring.

I'm pretty sure I'm the least adventurous rider i know but no one on here has ever implied I don't belong here. (Now's your chance!!) I don't know wtf adventure riding is anyway....

As for glory days, that's any amount of time on any day on a bike for me. With a few good mates and a beer at the end...magic. Taking my knobbly tyred drz 30mins up the road for a coffee with my son on my other one (cos he'd forgotten to warrant and rego his:jack:jack)...perfect.

These are my glory days.
    Night Falcon, EVLED and young1 like this.
  6. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I remember a Kiwi Biker ride where we overnighted in Kawhia (Did Triboy organise it?). There was a wide selection of bikes from brand-new GS adventurers down to an old DR 500. And you know the bike that got the most attention? No not the mega dollar bikes but that DR500.
    So I don’t agree with your comment that you have to be on a certain sort of bike. Different bikes makes the rides far more interesting .
  7. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    On my first couple of rides with groups I had some comments about upgrading to a big orange bike so I could keep up. Then on a recent one saying my bike was well worn.

I like all bikes, I got my BMW while looking for a DR650 or KLR.
  8. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a shame that some d!ck head would make comments like that. Best ignored.

Funny even though I have a big orange bike it certainly doesn't help me keep up!
    Mc107 likes this.
  9. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    My problem with the big orange is simple, I need a step ladder to get on one.
    young1 likes this.
  10. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally agree! It would be the first time I've heard of that happening though....its never happened on any ride I've been on that I've noticed. Like @oldbeer mentioned above, the rides I've been on have been frequented by top guy's n gal's just out to enjoy the ride and the company.

There is always some good natured BMW v the rest banter, but that is always in good fun. Nobody takes it seriously and we're always willing and able to stop and help out a brokedown BMW :hide
    dazzadm and young1 like this.
  11. Mc107

Mc107 Underwear sniffer

Oddometer:
    If you ever ride with @KiwiPewe you'll probably get comments like that, turns out hes not a massive twat but a real nice guy.
    rogirwin likes this.
  12. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    - Cough -
    Fake news
    - Cough -
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always have to allow time for that! Lol
  14. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    And don't forget that Trumpy riders need some stick too...

[​IMG]
    KiwiPewe and Night Falcon like this.
  15. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of banter.
    image.jpg
    :D:D
    dazzadm, Kempy, young1 and 4 others like this.
  16. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Well Im taking a couple of new guys out tomorrow. Do some easy gravel and maybe a little sand depending on tides. See if I can get them to join me on the early Nov ride.
    Mc107, KiwiPewe, young1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having followed this thread on/ off via shonky interweb connections from Europe over the last few weeks, I'm real late on this...
    Coming from the "other side" of having organized/ planned/routed/executed/lead and run literally hundreds of rides/ weekends/ meets/ rallies/ overseas ADV-holidays etc. incl. an associated forum with all its warts and hiccups over the last 25 years (links available), it's been a combination of plain burn-out and anti-social-media in my case.

I've just had enough of wasting time, effort and enthusiasm to the benefit of others who prefer their selfie-promotions on stupid facebook/ twatter etc over the actual core-values of ADV-travel, common discoveries and real human interaction.

It's a sad ride/ tour when folks are busy with FB/posing/uploading/ wasting time+resources at every opportunity along the way... when they should be busy hanging over maps of places to check out and see, talk with locals and be INVOLVED and engaged in the actual ride and happenings!!
    Times have changed, no sweat...but there aren't enough years of riding/' travels left in me to waste on hollow bullshit...and I reject to "get with it".

I prefer to ride by myself nowadays...or with a VERY few of a similar ilk. I also haven't got the years nor energy to "sift through" a big number of "newbs" to find "akin's" ...no need to posting rides then.

I cherish the incredible times and rides and adventures experienced, it's been the essence of life to me for the last few decades, but every good thing has to come to an end.
    No regrets, no bitterness...just the realization of facts.

As for KB...that's been an absolute grave-site.
    100.000 page hits on an expaaaansive picture-thread I posted up years ago (gulp)...with ONE SINGLE comment/ reply. No reason to waste any more time there...
    NZRalphy, Takataka, young1 and 2 others like this.
  18. KioKioAdv

KioKioAdv n00b

Oddometer:
    WOW. A lot of names from the past on here!

Not had an adv bike for a while but recently picked one up to have another go.

More to do organised rides as the old haunts didn't appeal.

For me the rides were 50/50 between the ride and social side. Lots of good times

Hope to see some of you again.

Doing that KTM Rallye you won't pay for Mark so pushing to do yours the weekend before. Ya never know tho....

Cary
    Adventure Moto likes this.
  19. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Cary" now that is certainly a name from the past! Welcome back :-)
    Ducatijim and Phreaky Phil like this.
  20. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Yeah what he said Cary ...... Welcome back to the 'Dark Side' or should that be the Orange side.
    Are you living in Kawhia / Otorohanga now ??
    young1 likes this.