ADV Rides in NZ, Are the Glory Days Gone?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Adventure Moto, Aug 26, 2019.

?

Do you like to ride in group rides.

Poll closed Sep 16, 2019.
  1. Yes, I am fine with group rides

38.2%
  2. No, I prefer to ride on my own

20.6%
  3. I prefer to ride just with my mates in small groups.

58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. enduro0627

enduro0627 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    My name is not important. I signed up to this forum only to comment on this thread. You also need to know that I am just done with a six-pack.
    I put together a monthly ride for more than two years by now, and 1-2-3-4 or very-very rarely more people are joining me. Although I don't have a FB account, I am running a simple website where I post every detail of the ride.
    Here are my thoughts and experiences.
    - I can be counted as an old fart and not even a good rider. I agree with many of you that somehow the youngsters should run these rides but they are missing. Do not wonder why. In New Zealand motorcycles are expensive. Petrol expensive. Registration, tax, WoF, insurance and other legal stuff are expensive. They are struggling to pay rent, keep a young family running, save for a house or apartment, put money aside for retirement and the education of the kids, do the grocery shopping every Saturday, etc. Of course, they are not spending on motorcycles.
    - We are old and f*cki'n tired. As a strange twist of life, I am living away from my beautiful wife and lovely daughter at this moment, so I have all the time to do this s*it, but it will not last forever. We are working hard all week and most of us just don't want to worry or think over the weekend, just want to get out and ride. I don't blame anyone. Doesn't matter if there are maps, GPX files or detailed description of the ride. People just want to follow someone who takes them on awesome trails, gravel roads or just to good coffee places. Never, ever dream about to make people navigate.
    - Personally I don't want to hold anyone's hand. We are all different, and we have different riding styles, skills and likes. That is why I try to do my best to put together the route, do the pre-riding, publish the route, so you can ride as you like with whoever you want and we can have a coffee, beer or fish and chips at the end and have a good time. Selfish? Yes. There is a minimum energy barrier what you need to overcome to have a good time.
    - Since the Pike River mine disaster, health and safety are a nightmare in New Zealand. I needed to make a serious effort to put together a legally sound "Waiver and release from liability" form just to keep myself on the safe side. Farm and forestry rides are mostly ceased because of this over the top health and safety obsession, (and disputes between Maori landowners and forestry companies/public, eg. Riverhead Forest, 90 Miles Beach sand dunes, etc.) If anyone tries to make a "pay to ride" event it is just getting worse.
    - Because riders are not making a minimal effort, people are scared of possible consequences, and young people are missing, others who are asking unreasonable price for GPX files and organized rides on public roads are thriving. I will never give money for such GPX files or rides.
    - KiwiBiker and AdvNZ forums are declining? Sure, yes. Again, we are not making any effort. It is convenient to have a FB account and everything will be pushed right in front of your face. The birth of your nephew, cute puppies, mosque shooting, climate change, the cupcake what the PM just baked, kittens and the occasional ADV rides. But the ADV ride will be lost in between the "garbage", and good luck to find anything again in a couple of months time.
    - What can we do? Number 1, stop whining and moaning over the glorious past. Number 2, search engines are your best friends. Search for rides, browse forums and blogs for rides. Number 3, are you going somewhere? Post it on forums, FB or on your own blog. If someone wants to ride, they will find it.
    I feel partly sorry about this post, but it was a weight on my chest like an eighteen story building for a long time and I was needed to let it go.
    Just ignore me, plan a ride and invite your fellow riders.
    Andrew
    oldbeer likes this.
  2. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    I'd say FB is where the people are so if you want people showing up you need to utilise the tool.

4.1k active members on NZAdv group and yes, they generally log into FB for a myriad of reasons but at least you'll be pushing your rides on the most popular medium.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  3. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try Meetup (the App). In Auckland at least there are starting to be some good rides arranged mainly by a chap called David. Not Adventure riding, but I can see it growing as there seem to be some regular guys attending.
  4. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Hi Andrew, congrats on organizing your monthly `Rambles`& keep up the good work
    I agree with a lot of your points above.
    Generally speaking I have found that ADV riders tend to be at the more mature end of the spectrum as most of the younger riders are happier riding MX or dirt bikes.
    Kiwi biker is dead- No point flogging that dead horse. I have similar thoughts to yourself around FB but have relented and opened an account and just limit this to the stuff i do want to see ( motorcycling ).

There has been a popular misconception about the H & S rules in NZ and this has limited the amount of trail rides and possibly some ADV rides.
    But in the last 3 months Worksafe NZ have clarified that their rules do not apply to free rides or charity rides, only to a business or where you have paid to ride.
    So we can continue as we have done in the past so long as no money changes hands, we can turn up and go for a ride together with everyone being responsible for their own health and safety.
    With the decline in `Organized ADV rides` because of the H & S and land access issues I see the need for these self organized rides now more than ever.

If just a few people organize a few rides in area`s that they have specific knowledge of, then we could easily have 6 or more good rides a year ( like the good old days that I am still whining about ).

But the poll at the top of the page says that 78% of the people prefer riding on their own or just with their mates nowadays,so it probably wont happen.
    But I will organize a few more rides ( as i have done for the last 10+ years ) because as MUZZ67 said in a previous post virtually all of the people I have met on these rides have been `good Bastards`.
    That is until i get disillusioned like the rest......... Then i will take up knitting.:sick
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Accentuate the positives.....there are lots in this thread

Accepting that there is no real definition of an ADV ride, we have:
    • Andrews Labour weekend ride up North
    • All the rides he and his group have/will run each month through the past year.
    • Motoxnut's Kaipara ride early November..some impressive interest for that one!!
    • BMW Rally ride similar area and time
    • Any number of formal/informal road rides organised on Facebook
    • A bunch of gravel training days organised by the likes of Prorider
    • All the trail rides listed on silverbullet.co.nz all over the place (if you want to get properly off road)
    • A lot of people commenting in this thread that they might resurrect a few old classic rides down country with lots of capital letters.
    • People on here organising small informal rides with mates and posting a few photos who would i am sure welcome someone asking "can i come too?" through these pages.

And probably lots I've missed out. How many rides can we go on anyway? Who has that much spare time? Seems to me there is NO shortage of rides to go on if you want, ranging the very sedate ones i like to all out madness through your local forestry area. More is better but with lots of rides and heaps of bike options now is a great time to be doing this kind of stuff. We've never had it so good.

Sure these rides might be different to what you remember from 10 to 20 years ago but so what. You can make some new memories if you want to.

It's also great to hear from almost all of the regular Advrider NZ contributors in this one thread.

Eliminate the negatives....

A lot of people and particularly younger people use facebook whatsapp etc because this is the way they are forced to communicate both at work and socially. You might get a choice but mostly they don't. So i say go easy on people who are using those channels. As long as they still stop to help pull your bike out of a bog that is. (If you still want to diss them go and ask your grandfather what he thinks of your cellphone and GPS.)

If we don't like the current Health and Safety environment we only have ourselves to blame. Anyone who has had to attend any formal construction safety training will know the NZ has some of the worst safety statistics in the OECD. This combined with an ever more litigious society (yes thats all of us) produced the current situation. If you don't like it change the culture starting at the obvious point. Maybe challenge yourself to think a bit differently. While i was up north last weekend someone in a tight formation of riders on SH1 made a mistake and took out 4 others when he/they fell. Not that smart.
    Night Falcon, Manakau.KTM and moto74 like this.
  6. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem is FB has no real structure. For something as broad as ADV riding you need to break subjects down to individual threads like in this format. After all these years I'm about sick of "what oil should I use", and " look at Katies new shoes". Unfortunately on FB you have to troll though all that shit to get to the few little bits of good stuff. I'm just about over it.

I've become a little disillusioned since my DR shit it's gearbox. Thinking about going back to a road bike.
    Ducatijim, innathyzit, ztaj and 2 others like this.
  7. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Well yeah, but there is nothing stopping people creating local ride groups, and those groups then only containing pertinent information on local rides.

I'm just saying the tool itself is fine, lots of people use it, and it obviously has a huge reach - just needs to be embraced.

In the last month i've organised several rides and now have 5 new riders in my social circle. Pretty soon there will be more rides planned than weekends.
    EVLED likes this.
  8. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    I joined the FB adv site, @bart-nz has some valid points. It's become the new KB to a certain extent. I joined it out of curiosity, posted some ride stuff, got trolled a couple of times....meh won't be going there again. This site is a pretty good daily bike fix.

Oh and @bart-nz, 690's make good road bikes mate :D .....Tigers are good road bikes (and adv bikes), and they make a low version :wink:
    ztaj likes this.
  9. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    690's are great on the road, with the addition of a Seat Concepts seat and Krieger luggage.
    Had a great four day adventure earlier this year around East Cape.
    [​IMG]
    Had a blast riding the Motu, but the day was so hot, on the sealed bit the TKC80s grained up real bad....

Range wasn't really a factor with a bit of planning.
    Even with gravel road silliness, the 690 was probably good for 250km (fortunately I didn't find out, I got to 218km once).
  10. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Safari will git ya well over 400K's
    IMG_2418.JPG
    young1 likes this.
  11. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:

So will my 790.

Have you got a dogbone on that thing?
    How's it werkin' out?
    Did you get a new spring?
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Had one...didn't like it, made the bike feel and handle all wrong.
    Stock spring.

790 is a better bike for adventuring I'm told.....but at a price....a big price....especially as there's not many good used ones about....yet.
  13. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speed Triple is more my height...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  14. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    You want the R version...a real hoot!