ADV Rides / Routes near Baker City, Oregon area?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by dmulk, Dec 16, 2017.

1. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi fellow inmates,

I need some advice / suggestions / help.

I'm part of the disorganization committee for this year's WeSTOC.org rally this coming summer. WeSTOC has always been a "ride anything" gathering but started with the Sport Touring community centered around the Honda ST1100 and ST1300. Since these bikes are no longer made, many members have moved on to other bikes and mix in ADV riding and camping now. I myself have picked up a Super Tenere and WR250R and love getting off highway as much as I can.

This year I'm trying to support and encourage this type of riding and could use some help finding Big Bike friendly ADV day rides / routes that could loop or center around the Baker City, Oregon area. I'm mainly looking for as many "Day ride" options that could get riders back in time to hang out and enjoy telling the tall tales we all enjoy hearing over some beers after a day of great riding.

I could also use a camp ground \ camping option as close to Baker City, Oregon as possible. The rally is mainly a motel / hotel gathering but we have quite a few campers and I'd like to make sure they are supported if possible.

If you are in or around that area any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Dan
    PS: I'm reading the rules under the "Rallies" sub-forum and plan to make an official post. Of course everyone here is invited. All are welcome. The only requirement is that you enjoy riding and enjoy hanging with friendly people. Cheers!
    PPS: Thanks for the help so far! Could also really use some suggestions for OFF ROAD / BIG BIKE / ADV Friendly loops in the area also! Thanks!
  2. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The inmates should be able to cough it up. There's been a BMW rally in Baker City.
    dmulk likes this.
  3. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It really is a great place to ride. I've ridden through there for the last decade on many trips. I'm breaking out the topos over the holiday break and will wing it if needed. Just figured I'd ask for input first. =)

Happy Holidays!

<D>
  4. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Stating the obvious...The loop around the [Edit: Wallowa Mtns] (Baker, Richmond, Halfway, Joseph, Enterprise, Elgin, LaGrande, Baker City), is one of the better pavement rides to be had. It's a long ways, but nothing for Sport Tourers.

Also that section of 225 just south of Hwy 7 is one of the more amazing roads I've ever ridden (Lots of great curves up over a mtn range). You can make a loop out of it, by going west on 245 past Unity (Gas/Café), then up NE on Hwy 7 and ride into Sumpter (Cool gold dredge, gas...sometimes, ATV legal historical town). Then turn around and ride 7 back to Baker.
  5. IndianJoe

IndianJoe Little Lebowski Achiever

Oddometer:
    Sumpter>Granite>Ukiah>Dale and then back would be a short day ride with lotsa corners...

Burgers and Beers at the Elkhorn in Sumpter, or it never happened.
    AdamK and dmulk like this.
  6. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Elkhorns? I think you mean the Wallowa Mountains and the Eagle Cap Wilderness...[Joseph, not Josephy, Josephy Center is the name of the cultural center in Joseph]...and don't take Hwy 84 when returning to Baker..take Hwy 203 through Union..
    IndianJoe, dmulk and Scott_PDX like this.
  7. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Between Halfway and Joseph, you will find yourself on 39 Road- great twisty fun. Be sure to take the out-and-back side road to the Overlook. I had so much fun the first time I rode it that I turned around and rode it again.

Oh yeah, the view isn't bad either. :D
    AdamK, dmulk and TheAdmiral like this.
  8. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Thank you all so much!

Do any of you have some BIG DS/ ADV bike friendly OFF-ROAD loops also? I want to support the ADV riders also. Think KLR, BMW's and Super Tenere's. Forest roads, etc.

Thank you again for the help!

<D>
  9. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is an ATV trail called the Oregon ATV Trail that goes from Blue Springs Snow Park west of Sumpter to some campgrounds near Unity. About 50 miles one way.
    If you're one of those "I'll ride my KLR anywhere" types it would be good. South of Hwy 26 it gets rowdy.
    I owned a KLR and a Tiger 800XC. I would ride the Tiger on anything north of Hwy 26, but between Hwy 7 and 26 there are some slow rocky sections. I'd ride the KLR on the whole thing, but just north of Stevens Campground there is a steep hill (uphill going north) that could be rough.
    A WR250R rider could wheelie the whole thing.

Here's one I just found looking at the Benchmark Map:
    From Baker City go straight west to Ebell Picnic Area. Take FR 6510 over Marble Pass to Deer Creek. From there is a decent maze of roads that can take you either to Sumpter or directly to Hwy 7.
    Take Hwy 7 (or the ATV trail) to a bit SW of Larch Summit. Take FR11 East. It looks like that can be taken all the way to Old Hwy 30 and then back to Baker City.
    Disclaimer: Marble Pass to Sumpter is the only part of that loop that I've been on and I have no idea what the rest of it is like. But FR11 is called Skyline Road, so I bet it's awesome.
    AdamK and dmulk like this.
  10. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OrangeYZ,

Thank you very much! That is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking forward to doing myself during the event. Much appreciated.

And I love my WR250R as well as the S10. I'll be on the S10 for this trip unless the CA BDR guys get that done before the event. Then I might take my Mini-ADV'r (WR250R) for a ride to it.

Again much appreciated. If you end up in the area or even attend the event look me up for your free Beer. (And that goes for the rest of you guys that posted routes...). =)

<D>
  11. AdamK

AdamK STOC #265 IBA #11470 2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES

Oddometer:
    I've got that one mapped out already with an optional run up up Hwy 3. :)

[​IMG]
    dmulk and Scott_PDX like this.
  12. AdamK

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's a good one too!! :) I have a few routes hitting some of that.

[​IMG]
    dmulk and Scott_PDX like this.
  13. AdamK

Oddometer:
    Nice!!
    Mr Dual Sport likes this.
  14. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, Scott_PDX still gets his free beer for verifying the route...Is it obvious that I don't trust your data yet? What's it been....a decade? =P

<D>
  15. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MDS, Thank you! This looks great!!

I know Adam is working hard to map these things out. He doesn't ride off-road (YET! I'm working on the group to get them all converted eventually!). Thanks again for the hand. Beer on me if you're able to make it!

Cheers,
    <D>

Mr Dual Sport likes this.
  16. AdamK

Oddometer:
    Ontario'ish?
    dmulk likes this.
  17. AdamK

Oddometer:
    What do you think about this route?

[​IMG]
    dmulk likes this.
  18. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    All pavement and a bunch of it is I84. :snore
    dmulk likes this.
  19. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I like this route, but I think the bike might get more exercise if you turn a 180 at Joseph, and retrace the first half.

You will be seeing the same scenery, but you will be leaning to the opposite side. :D
    dmulk, AdamK and Mr Dual Sport like this.
  20. AdamK

Oddometer:
    Just the kind of local knowledge we're looking for. I'll add old 30 to the route. Thank you!

Ya, a lot of I84 but most people know they can just turn around and reverse these routes if they have the time. Some people choose to create their own routes from parts of several suggestions. We try to go over things like this at the riders meeting on the opening night. If a local is attending WeSTOC that's usually the best option for a ride along or at least getting route "adjustments".

These are all just "suggested" routes. We don't have any formal group rides at WeSTOC. I just plot up 5 to 10 suggested route maps and we have them on display in a "map room" for the duration of the event. We also make a gpx and have it available for download. Hanging out in the map room or parking lot is the best way to come up with just what you're looking for and a group to ride with.
    dmulk and Mr Dual Sport like this.