ADV Routes FKT - Fastest Known Time

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DirtyDog, Nov 1, 2020.

1. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Not disagreeing that would be awesome. But the original proposal was to keep FKT records for the established BDR’s and TAT.
    AZbiker likes this.
  2. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Ok? I just see a whole lot of NIMBY type stuff here. I get it, no one wants to upset the locals. I just find it comedic that many folks are OK with aggressive\speeding\whatever you wanna call it in one space...but not another. Just like anything in life, there's always gonna be those that take things too far, and as noted earlier.....some of those folks were present well before even the thought\idea of a FKT posting existed.
    So what if the FKT stuff did like the IBR and made a statement along the lines of "We don't encourage speeding" :dunno Publicly shame those that break the rules.

Or @DirtyDog can just keep it all "underground" so to speak......and we'll have ourselves a Fast n Furious thing going on. :lol3
    DirtyDog, jay547 and benjamin1031 like this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Take a look around, motorized activities are under attack globally.
    Right now, Tread lightLy has a much bigger meaning than originally designed.
  4. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What events or organized races can a fella with say a Yamaha super tenere enter? I’m genuinely curious because that’s the proposed alternative that those keep suggesting. Like stated earlier I don’t have a budget for more than one bike and I don’t know of any events anywhere I can stretch the legs on a full sized adventure bike...
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about high speed WFO events? Typically that’s limited even for sportbikes on track.
    Maybe go to Bonneville, or SCTA events. Pikes Peak had a class for big bikes. Track days at Pueblo, High Plaines etc....

Talk to these guy’s about adding bike classes
    https://sscc.us/
    AZbiker likes this.
  6. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your position sounds like "I can't afford to race so I am justified to drive really fast in public". If I am misreading that, I apologize.

"Stretching the legs" is OPTIONAL! If you can't afford to do the right thing then don't choose to do the wrong thing!

Simple solutions:
    You can do track days with some minor changes to your Tenere (I have done it on MY Tenere, it was fun, but I will rent a track bike next time).

You can rent bikes (what a friend does, including the Baja 1k and Sonora rally)

Or you can buy bikes to do the type of riding you want, to be used on the appropriate course.

Lots of solutions out there, it just takes a little effort.
    AZbiker likes this.
  7. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, promotion of what would become a Cannonball run with motorcycles regardless of public road route, unless said roads were closed when being run. Maybe get the same headlines as the Cannonball run... I still wouldn't want to be going in the opposite direction on a road they were illegally racing on.

Any time there is a record for time or speed it will not stay at any remotely legal limit. Anyone here who thinks it would is really naive.

Yeah, that's gonna work. :fpalm

That would be one reason to run a rally style bike event if it could be done, just like they do for the World Rally Car races.
    AZbiker likes this.