ADV to ADK - my first time in the Adirondacks!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by KCuv, Jul 31, 2019.

1. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey! Been planning my trip to the ADK from Buffalo for the majority of the summer - I took a short trip to Allegheny last month as a test. (photos in this post are from that, just for your time haha).

I took member mgb1971's mixed paved/dirt ADK loop map as a guide to roads I want to hit (thanks!), and created my own little route - I'm all geared up ready to roll out early Friday morning..

Will be about 8-9hr (i think) riding Fri, and same Sat - its a quick one for sure, the first few hours are about as boring as it gets on the highway for the sake of time - but past Utica, NY..should be a blast! Theres a lot of great looking roads, as well as, Whiteface Mountain planned out - so I hope I'll be posting some great photos here when I get back for sure - thanks for checking it out! Untitled 3.png Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 10.56.33 AM.png IMG_5119.jpg
    B10Dave, TownPump, Massabusa and 2 others like this.
  2. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great area to ride. We ride snowmobiles there all winter and take one or trips up there in the fall.

If you pass thru Old Forge, pop into Daikers for beverage and take in the views of Fourth Lake from their deck.
    KCuv likes this.
  3. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! I heard old forge in general was a cool spot - i think I'm going to be going around it this time, however. Depending how this trip goes, I could be back more often!
    ejm4 likes this.
  4. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable experience - I'll have more photos soon, here are a couple. F157945E-8959-4278-914D-9E0C93BE2698.JPG On the way to the top of white face mountain, and another on a trail I believe near otter creek? 57928435-F697-44DF-9D5A-3C09A8FBD865.JPG
    I also rode behind two dudes on adv bikes on the highway for a little bit heading south parallel to 81 i believe? at some point saturday, one wearing an adv rider t-shirt! haha
  5. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and the sleeping arrangements on the ride... IMG_40612.jpg
    Vrode and TownPump like this.
  6. TownPump

TownPump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it up there. Jealous. Looks like your return leg took you on the Rt 46 Scenic Byway between Boonville and Rome. I like that stretch, last bit of fun road before getting back on the I-90 drone.

More pics!
    KCuv likes this.
  7. pkrip

pkrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread and great trip! I'm considering a trip to Lake Placid this fall from NJ. Can you tell me where the lakeside campsite is? Looks awesome!!
    KCuv likes this.
  8. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lake placid area is awesome! make sure to ride the memorial highway
    KCuv likes this.
  9. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I was actually a bit East of 46 (for most of that leg), in the forest thanks to routes I got from the advrider poster that created the loop....I did get into a pretty hairy situation getting caught up in some pretty deep dense awful terrain that made me quit, shoot west and hightail it down 86 to the starbucks in New Hartford just to relax for a bit before i hit the 90.
    Well the whole park is just littered with these types of spots - they're everywhere. While i prefer a more remote setting, I booked this camp site ahead of time because the thought of riding around for a whole entire day, and not knowing where I was going to sleep sounds horrible haha. It's called Fishcreek Pond Campsite i think? Pretty cool spot right near Lake Tupper.
    TownPump likes this.
  10. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I would personally stay away from Lake Placid unless you love touristy areas with too many people who all drive way too slow.
    Oilhed likes this.
  11. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GOPR0686.JPG DF7D323B-4408-46C3-A129-BF09E600BA04.JPG
    UselessOnABike, ejm4 and TownPump like this.
  12. TownPump

TownPump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure which campground his pic is from, but there are some very good state campgrounds along the way on various lakes. Water sites are tough to come by especially on weekends as they tend to book a long time in advance online.

Between Old Forge and Lake Placid:
    Nicks Lake Campground
    Limekiln Lake Campground
    Eighth Lake Campground
    Golden Beach Campground
  13. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I love Lake Placid and visit at least once a year. There's tourist traffic on the main street but it moves quickly and it's a short main drag, so doesn't really slow you down much. The town is a great base to get out and see the surrounding area if camping isn't your thing. A lakeside room at the Golden Arrow resort is my go to place. Great little beach and lots of paddle boards, kayaks and canoes for paddling around mirror lake, all outside the sliding patio door.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I avoid Lake Placid unless my family insists on a visit. I prefer Saranac Lake, just down the road. You can go any direction from there. There used to be a lot of motels but they tore 2-3 down to build a new luxury resort. Still a few motor lodges left. Buck Pond S.P. Campground just north of there. Gets less pressure than the others.

Fav. bar in the ADK is the Shamrock near Gabriel's. Live music Wed. night.
  15. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_5462.jpg
    Vrode likes this.
  16. UselessOnABike

UselessOnABike Chris McCartney

Oddometer:
    Northern Ireland. Past: Australia, & New Zealand
    What an awesome trip! Keep up the good pics, some beautiful scenery there! Ducati looks like a great bike too, how did it go on the unpaved roads?
    KCuv likes this.
  17. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It gets a bad rap for being a "hipster" bike that doesnt do anything well, but go to starbucks. While I love starbucks haha, this thing rules. It truly is the swiss army knife of bikes that you can ride with sport bikes in the twisty stuff, trash off road with adv bikes, and nothing bombs around urban areas as well as this - on trails, its sometimes a little stiff, but overall it was great!
    UselessOnABike likes this.
  18. UselessOnABike

UselessOnABike Chris McCartney

Oddometer:
    Northern Ireland. Past: Australia, & New Zealand
    Haha I know what you mean, I've never actually seen one of those in person, but the hipsters seem to be claiming everything cool. I noticed in Sydney, Australia there was a lot of scrambler-style bikes, particularly modified by a company called Deus (Deus/ Deus Ex Machina - you've probably seen the clothing). I personally love that style of bike. I have no motorcycle at the minute, have had a few in past, but never actually done my motorcycle license. My plan is to do my bike license in 2020 in Australia (I go back there in a few months). In Australia, learners are limited to 660cc bikes maximum, and the must be within the acceptable power-to-weight ratio. There's actually not a huge selection of used bikes in Oz, so I will be limited to what's 'common' that can be found easily. It's looking like a Kawasaki KLR650, a Yamaha V-Star 650/Virago, or a Suzuki GS500, but whatever I choose will not be left unmodified haha. Your Scrambler is my ideal bike, classy, fun, but practical. My friend has a Triumph Bonneville, I would drool every time I seen it haha.
  19. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!! If it fits the criteria, you can’t go wrong with a DRZ650
    UselessOnABike likes this.