ADV wannabe

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tackle_me_2, Sep 9, 2006.

1. tackle_me_2

tackle_me_2 always hungry

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,

Great forum!

This is my first post to say hello. Came across this site while doing a search on riding to Alaska. Then I went on a spent hours (and hours) on the Ride Report section, drooling over the pics and write-ups.

I'm not an ADV rider (yet). I've got a FZ6, and dragged it across the country this summer (started in Vancouver, through 12 states, ended in Halifax). BUT I want MORE. I want to get on roads with dirt and pot-holes. I want to see things I can't see from the pavement.

I can't seem to find a dual sport that fits my 5'4" frame, other than the 650GS...but I really don't want to pay the price/maintenance for a Beemer. So my search continues. :norton

So anyway, just wanted to say hello to you all.

Cheers,
    Angela
  2. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Lowering links on a 650 V-Strom?
  3. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Lowering links are available for pretty much all D/S bikes. If you're thinking of a big single, the Kawi KLR 650 has been in production 20 years, huge aftermarket (farkels), & is a known world traveler - and new ones are $5000. Other big singles:Suzuki DR650, very highly rated - a little lighter than the KLR & air cooled. Suzuki also has the even lighter DRZ400, which has really nice suspension. Honda makes a 650 as well. Yamaha no longer makes one for sale in the US. All need some tayloring, some more than others. Will probably need a seat, since most stockers are a park bench. Happy Trails (among others) makes racks & baggage for all. Theres a lot of cool stuff out there!!
  4. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    You can ride on the back of mine the next time I go!:lol3 :lol3 :eek1 Here comes my wife. Gotta go.
  5. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    :lol3 So....does this mean your wife is not into 3-up? :clap Sorry for the hijack tackle...but, welcome to the asylum and the GWN.:clap
  6. tackle_me_2

tackle_me_2 always hungry

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Unfortunately my husband won't like that idea. But thanks. :p

This site is addicting. The more I read on here, the more I am itching to get a DS.
  7. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    Welcome:clap !

TR:huh
  8. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    Welcome to the assylum!:clap
  9. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    or maybe already are?

Shot these 5 year olds doing motocross this past Sunday...these KIDZ got SKILL!

[​IMG]
  10. SPEEDSMITH

SPEEDSMITH Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer:
    Hi Angela, welcome!
    I bought my wife a 2001 DR650 a few months ago. She's 5'4" and once I lowered it, it fits her well.
    The '96 to present DR650 is actually designed to be lowered very easily.
    It's just a question of switching some parts around in the F & R suspension, and getting a shorter sidestand. It is all detailed in the service manual.
    The lowering kit, which includes the shorter stand, some warning stickers, and a couple of other things, was only about $50 Cdn from Suzuki.
    Other than that you just need some fork oil.
    I even find it fun to ride in its lowered position, it's sort of like a supermoto!
    She also has no trouble riding my friend's DL650.
    Hope this helps, Paul.
    P.S. She used to ride my Transalp, she actually had to slide off the seat to put one foot down when she stopped!