Adventure 320mm Single Rotor Conversion w/ STOCK caliper

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Johnf3, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ferd

Ferd been around

Oddometer:
    Consider this hijacked.
    I just Ordered a Purte1 bracket and Aprilia sxv5.5 4pot radial mount FTE caliper ($75 on eBay).. I think this is going to work.. Fingers crossed.
    keener, DistortedAxis and LocuL like this.
  2. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    dooby, oldfuddy and keener like this.
  3. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about going single sided for a while now. My 990 has been partially retired from road duties, and especially 2-up, so I can optimise it for dirt use to an extent that I wouldn't want to do if I was regularly carrying my wife on the back seat :)

On the subject of master cylinders for a single caliper setup - I've noticed that several Hondas use the same braking system as the KTM Adventure. Notable, the Deuville (NT650V) has what look like identical calipers and master cylinder (but not caliper hangers). The newer CB500 has again the same caliper, but only a single one, and so it has the Brembo master cylinder for a 2-pot system. (Older CB500s use Nissin brakes).

If you look inside the Brembo master cylinder, there's a "2" or a "4" in the bottom of the fluid reservoir - this tells you whether it's for a 2-pot or 4-pot setup. The master from the Honda CB500 might well be cheaper to get hold of than the same item from KTM. I've got one on my shelf and I'm going to try going to a single sided standard disc setup.

Having said that, I'm also very interested in Jdeks' idea for a cheap-ish bracket to allow me to use a 320mm disc with the standard caliper. So if you do get round to making some, please put me down for one.
  4. roookie1

roookie1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Uk_mouse, I have been running single disc setup for the last 16000 km with the stock master. For me it Works fine. The lever is more firm, but I find it easy to dose. Try to remove the disc and caliper and just ride it. Maybe Youll be fine..
  5. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    I actually did that last year when I ruptured a brake line ... disconnected one caliper and rode like that for a weekend. So I know it works, as you say the lever is quite firm. As I've got this other master cylinder anyway I may as well try it out :)
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think I replied earlier in this thread also.

Exactly what I did at first and sure it will stop the bike no problem especially with knobbies so its a good Place to start.

It will still work and stop the bike.

But I was not satisfied and Went with SE master that was an improvement.

And would probably have been happy with that but stumbled upon what I thought was a great price for a 320mm Moto-master 4-pot setup that I bought turned out the disc was not the correct one for the caliper so deal was not that good at all but still Went with that but is probably overkill for gravel riding but might be nice if some day putting more streetoriented rubber on the 990.

/Johan
    dooby likes this.
  7. R&R4adv

R&R4adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey guys is the calliper carrier on a 990 different to the 950 to allow clearance for the floaters on a floating disk
  8. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Yes it is slightly different, although I'm not sure if it's because of the floating disc.

By the way I was wrong about the cb500 master being the same. It's almost identical but the KTM brake lever doesn't quite fit unless you file down the surrounding area a bit. So I've now got the CB master on my 950 with a single stock calliper and disc. It works pretty well I'd say.
    dooby likes this.
  9. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are the fork bottoms attached to the forks themselves?
  10. R&R4adv

R&R4adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone post a photo of the inside disk side of a 990 caliper bracket for me cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  11. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:

They clamp onto the tubes via a compression fit like the factory unit as far as I can tell. I didn't ask that but thats what I assume from the photos?

I've been talking to both companies Nouva Faor and Cobra. Unfortunately through the broken Italian / English translations I have found neither will work with stock fork widths. These complete kits are manufactured to put the forks at 200mm apart to fit a supermoto tire (super wide). The 950 / 990 WP 4860 forks are 190mm wide stock / factory. So you can potentially make these work on the Adventure if you also purchase an adjustable triple clamp that has puts the forks at 200mm wide. Either company manufactures them. The cool thing is their triples have an adjustable offset which could come in handy for those guys who like running smaller wheels on their Adventures for track day.

http://nuovafaor.it/m/sez-parti-moto/1/piastre-regolabili.htm

Next, the front axle is custom as well. 20mm with 20x42x12mm bearings. The hub is specific to the kit. Meaning you can't use a stock hubs, axles or off the shelf rotors either. $$$.

Lastly, to purchase a hub separate you are looking at $700 euros each.

200mm wide triple $1200 (€) Euros
    Double Disc Front $2200 (€) Euros
    Rotors $380 (€) Euros

As cool as it would be to have this, I can't justify that cost.

Add a 2nd hub to do quick wheel swaps and and I can purchase Super Enduro!
    oldfuddy likes this.
  12. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    They screw on. The fork tube is threaded at the bottom.
    LocuL and oldfuddy like this.
  13. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Was wondering if they would fit my SE tubes but wasn't sure how they mounted. but the price listed above is kinda steep for me.
  14. R&R4adv

R&R4adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok have been playing around with my single disk conversion I have replaced the stock master with a SE unit and have been running a a stock single 300 mm disk for some time.
    So thought I'd try and up grade the disk to a 320 and see if this made a big difference with so info from Jdek and a good mate with a mill, I made a a alloy adapter bracket to space the original caliper and carrier
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I now have been running this setup for a few week I'm happy with the setup

dooby, shank and motomecha like this.
  15. R&R4adv

R&R4adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

dooby, motomecha and LocuL like this.
  16. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    If everything is mounted and squared up ok then it looks like you're on to a winner. Shame there isn't anything commercially available, though since the pad area is no larger so the benefit isn't likely to be huge.
  17. R&R4adv

R&R4adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah fits well but I've not noticed any reel difference in braking but the larger disk will cool quicker due to the larger area. Is this something you guys might be in buyING

18. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
  19. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it a possibility? It needs to work with the 21" wheel.
  20. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The end of your post got mangled or something....but yes, I would be interested in buying that part.