Adventure Bike Builds under 400 lbs

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by 2on2off, Aug 11, 2018.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Post your light weight Adventure Bike Builds here. Criteria for this thread is:

1. 200 mile fuel range

2. Some type of panniers or soft luggage to accommodate a multi day trip

3. Windscreen or fairing you have purchased or made that provides more coverage than stock, unless the bike came with a fairing like the CRF250L Rally.

4. No more than 400 lbs wet weight with a full tank of fuel, including any extra fuel you carry, panniers and all installed hard parts, not including what you will carry on your bike such as tools, sleeping bag, tent or cooking equipment

5. Parts for your bike should be readily available in the USA in case you break down, during a trip, and need parts in a few days.

I wanted to start this thread because of a recent conversation I had with the Honda rep who is charge of the new 2019 Honda CRF450L for the USA. He didn't seem to think anyone would use a light weight dual sport motorcycle for adventure riding much less set it up with panniers and a windscreen.

This thread can show how many riders are already doing this with the current crop of light weight dual sport bikes. Project managers and marketing staff need to know how big a market is before they will commit to building the light weight adventure bikes many of us want.

So you want to ride the TAT, the Continental Divide Trail or ride some of the BDR trips that have already been laid out for all of us. What bike should you take? The challenge for me is not the pavement or well graded dirt roads on a trip like this. It is the rocky, off camber, loose and deep sand that can turn an enjoyable trip into a nightmare for me, especially if I'm riding alone.

I'm sure many of you have seen the videos of riders on 1200cc adventure bikes struggling through difficult sections of a ride and often need the help of 3 other riders just to get back on the trail. I realize there are many riders out there that love the difficult sections but I would rather spend my day riding than spending it picking up a 610 lb. bike.

I have two adventure bikes in my garage. A BMW R1200GS Rally and a DRZ400S I have setup for adventure riding. I put both on a pallet scale yesterday with full tanks of fuel, 4.0 gallons on the DRZ and 5.3 gallons on the BMW, and two hard panniers and the DRZ was 232 lbs. lighter at 378 lbs. The BMW was 610 lbs. That is a big difference, especially when I am riding through deep sand, mud or steep rock terrain. When off road and the trail is challenging, I have more fun on the DRZ and dealing with 232 lbs less weight.
    MATTY, Don T, StanBo and 17 others like this.
  2. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Here is how I setup my DRZ400S for adventure riding:

Pro Moto Billet rear rack
    IMS 4 Gallon Fuel Tank
    Maier Hand Guards and plastic covers
    Happy Trails Hard Panniers and racks. Giant Loop Great Basin would be much lighter but I like the hard panniers
    Oxford Heated Hand Grips (not installed yet)
    IMS Super Sport Foot Pegs
    Renthal Aluminum Handle Bars CR HI bend
    Enduro Star Side Stand Prog
    Thumper Talk Case Guards
    Thumper Talk Skid Plate
    TCI Windscreen & mount from Aeroflow
    MRA Windscreen Spoiler (makes the windscreen work much better)
    Corbin Custom Seat (I had them make it 11" wide and took my bike to their factory to have it built)
    Dunlop 606 tires with untra heavy duty tube with rim locks (not installed yet)

This totals about $3,000 in parts over and above the cost of the bike.

IMG_8075-800x600.JPG IMG_8082-800x600.JPG IMG_8086-800x600.JPG IMG_8090-800x600.JPG IMG_8075-800x600.JPG IMG_8082-800x600.JPG IMG_8086-800x600.JPG IMG_8090-800x600.JPG
  3. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very Nice
    [​IMG]
  4. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    My DRZ400S the way it is setup with empty pannier is 378 lbs with a full tank of fuel. Without the panniers it is 356 lbs. I'm guessing without the Happy Trails racks, it would be about 340 lbs. The Giant Loop Great Basin soft luggage is only 6 lbs and doesn't need a rack to mount. That would be one of the lightest luggage setup for this bike.

IMG_8115-800x600.JPG IMG_8116-800x600.JPG IMG_8117-800x600.JPG IMG_8118-800x600.JPG
  5. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    The Corbin Seat you can buy already built is 9" wide. The Seats Concept Seat for the DRZ is also 9" wide. I have tried both and like the Corbin Seat when it is 11" wide. I'm getting old so comfort is important to me.

The Panniers are Happy-Trails Teton 9" Cliff Cut powder coated black.

The TCI Windscreen mount is very solid and the MRA spoiler is adjustable and helps get ride of the buffeting.

IMG_8123-800x600.JPG IMG_8125-800x600.JPG IMG_8130-800x600.JPG IMG_8136-800x600.JPG
  6. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I like the look and function of the Happy Trails panniers. The lid stays on the panniers when open.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This bike is a lot of fun to ride on mountain roads. The 11” wide Corbin seat is comfortable for 8 hours in the saddle.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wilfred, davyjones, Erod and 9 others like this.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    What does she weigh?

:ear
  8. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    378 lbs with a full tank of fuel and two empty panniers. 356 lbs without the panniers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Whew, that's 640 Adventure territory, with the boxes on it.

My 610 was 360 pounds full tank(5 gallons) and full camping gear.
    diter, thelastfoiter and Dolly Sod like this.
  10. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    I like that DRZ setup a lot!! :thumbup
  11. Hellequin

Hellequin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DRZ's achieve this easily. Fuel tanks go up to 28 litres (safari), soft luggage fits the same as any other bike, hard panniers are available, screens can be anything from home-made to rally cockpits, several seat options. Wide ratio gearboxes are available too.

SWM now offer the Superdual at 169kgs. http://www.swmmotorcycles.com.au/superdual-x/

Honda have some strange ideas sometimes - like the new Goldwing, they make a fantastic touring bike but give it small panniers and a tiny fuel tank :scratch:loco:dunno
    Endorphin likes this.
  12. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Just read some of the reviews on the swm bike. It is a joint venture of the Chinese and Italians. I can't determine if the weight listed on their website is dry or wet weight and if the weight listed includes the panniers. Here is a quote from one of the reviews: "If the engine looks familiar that’s because it’s from the old, pre-BMW Husky TE 630."
  13. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    The 350/500 KTM/Husqvarna has been a solid and reliable choice for many.

20170424_192509-1.jpg
    Imlime, davyjones, BobcatSig and 15 others like this.
  14. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    TE630 Husky. Rotopax goes on the back rack. Throw over bag for gear.
    Brittania lynx fairing. Good suspension and a torquey engine with long legs for road with the stock gearing. Seat concepts seat, Scott's damper and single side FMF with stock right exhaust space now used as tool holder.
    Pictured with my mate's SWM superdual T
    IMG_20171022_105724149.jpg
    davyjones, ArielNut, GF-kam and 4 others like this.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Husqvarna FE501 Just a hair over 315 lbs which includes all my camping equipment (6 days of food) tools, elec pump, 5lb North Face tent on the rear rack and 4.1 gls of excitement in the tank. 15/48 gear set for cruising at 75 mph all day long if you want to see how long the tires last on pavement. But that is what a street moto is for so I intend to keep it in the dirt if at all possible. Michelin Desert rear tire and Goldentyre fatty front for the best in the dirt. Range- out west, easily 200+ miles at 55 to 60 mpg dual sporting.

IMG_0242.jpg

If doing rides where I motel or yurt it..

Capture1.JPG

upload_2018-8-31_10-36-0.png
  16. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a 351, I can’t squeeze out 200 miles, but I can cover everything else, including tight eastern singletrack, running 70 mph all day long on the highway, and coming in well under 300 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    That is a nice setup.

The Husky and KTM 350/500 EXC's are the lightest bikes to setup for Adventure Riding. I setup a 2012 KTM 500EXC with the same fuel tank and a comfortable seat but never put on panniers or a windscreen. Also had a 2009 DRZ400S at the same time with similar equipment and the KTM was 50 lbs. lighter.

2012 KTM 500EXC
    [​IMG]

2009 DRZ400S with Clark 4.0 gallon fuel tank and Dirt Bagz panniers
    [​IMG]

Finding a windscreen I'm happy with for the dual sport bikes I have owned in the past is the hardest part to find. I would prefer a fairing mounted to the frame but they are hard to find and expensive. I'm happy with the TCI windscreen and bracket with the MRA spoiler on my current DRZ.

In the past 15 years I have owned the following dual sport bikes: Dual Sported WR450F and XR650R. XR650L, DRZ400S, DR650 and KTM 500EXC. Of all of these bikes, I like the DRZ400S the best for the type of dual sport and adventure riding I do. I mostly ride the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Mojave Desert.
  18. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some great setups here so far. I will be watching this one to get some ideas.
  19. Bkadv2

Bkadv2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    crf250l rally non abs, base weight: 342 lbs wet.
    I sent an email to head office(in cali i think) thanking them for making the crf250l and asked if there was a CRF300L coming out anytime soon. They responded check out the new 2019 crf450L. a Big fat middle finger to me honestly. 600 mile oil change interval versus 8000 miles. Insult to me and many adventure riding communities. TOTAL OPPOSITE BIKES.

cut useless panels and rid of useless toolbox (-5 lbs)
    aftermarket gutted exhaust(GPR in my case from older model, cut and fit the link pipe to OEM header pipe)(-6 lbs)

Steel rear side rack (+5 lbs)
    rear rack(idk..2 lbs?)
    soft luggage(empty, around 8 lbs including locking steelcore cables))

okay stock OEM screen

total: 346 lbs wet WITH empty luggage, no tools.

This piece of beauty got me 340 km in Mongolia and still kept running. pulled over and put more in tank. hehe.

can get it even lower with aftermarket battery

can add AUX fuel tank +15 lbs(fueled up and including plastic container) for 6 liters for more range from camel tank.

mongoliancrf20l.png
    wilfred, davyjones, breakm and 16 others like this.
  20. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    This was my DRZ I set up for adv riding. The big safari tank improved the range, but the weight completely changed the characteristics of the bike. So much so I ended up selling it.
    [​IMG]
    I bought a 690 to replace it, and although miles better than the DRZ, still too heavy for me.

This is my current attempt, not really an adv bike. I balanced the wheels after installing Tubliss, so it is very smooth on the road. But wouldn't want to ride it across country. And that is not the plan. Better to haul it to the good riding, like the BDRs. Leave the haul vehicle and live off the bike for a week or so.
    2008 KTM450EXCR. Downside is maintenance. Frequent oil changes required. Though guys are pushing this on the 500/350s. I never weighed either so can't help there. But I bet the DRZ was close to 400lbs with all that crap on it.
    [​IMG]
    wilfred, davyjones, Fast1 and 13 others like this.