1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Bike Builds under 400 lbs

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by 2on2off, Aug 11, 2018.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Cant complain about 420lb. Great stuff.
  2. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd and ZoomerP like this.
  3. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Very interesting. I'm really surprised that the one scale works like that
  4. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    I thought the T7 would be a natural progression from the WR but after sitting on it and seeing how heavy it is I am thinking the 701 would suit me. My fear is the maintenance though, I can't be trusted on anything beyond tire / oil changes and chain maintenance.
  5. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I realize this is probably preaching to the choir, but I got one of the early T7 and sold it a few weeks later. I already had a 701 that's been to Baja twice and off road locally a lot. The T7 was fear inducing just pushing it around the garage and dropping it off road was hopeless for me. I had to use a bike jack to get it backup. But I did enjoy riding it on the highway, however not that much more than the 701. Also the maintenance on both bikes is about the same. As much as I wanted to keep both bikes I couldn't see the expense, I'm retired and keeping both would put a strain on my budget. My original plan for getting the T7 was to sell the 701 to pay off the loan on the T7. Unfortunately the T7 wouldn't have been as good off road which makes up a lot of my riding. So the T7 had to go. Now I'm looking forward to the Norden 501.

IMG_1271.JPG
    DGR, DCrider, Emgo and 3 others like this.
  6. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also the T7 isn't even close to fitting in this thread, weight-wise.
    Not slamming you for sharing your experience, just agreeing that it's in a different class.
    duggram likes this.
  7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what you experienced but I have a '14 500 EXC that hasn't had any modifications to either the fuel injection or exhaust. Starts easy at any temperature and elevation, the throttle action is sharp, and it has all the power I need. Maybe there were charges between 12 and 14. I can't think of any reason to spend money on the FI or exhaust system.
    Fast1, DCrider, duggram and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    I can finally contribute to this thread since my 950SE is just over the requirements. Here is my new to me 2015 FE501S which Cycle World says weighs 251lbs with fuel, stock tank though. This is on my maiden voyage with it that was four days of camping that required extra layers and my under quilt for the hammock. Temps got below freezing at least one night, which required bringing extra items. I would say that all my gear added an additional 15-20lbs max. I also had a lightweight backpack to carry some additional cold weather gear. Trying to keep it very ADV-F. When temps are above freezing I can get rid of the backpack and have more than ample room in this setup for multiple days. Not sure of the exact weight, but should be under 300lbs with this setup. Prepping for the TAT on this bike this summer so I plan to slim down my packing even more. All in the name of unencumbered roosting. :thumb

[​IMG] hr
    Burner25, cabnoir, JS_999 and 10 others like this.
  9. Rickcaccia

Rickcaccia Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    62039769686__D08CCF37-5C2E-4EC4-8778-A94C804353F3.JPG Our team of bikes all sub 400lbs ... EXC 500, EXC 350, 390RR race and a pair of WR250rs .... we did a quick 3 day 500 plus miles in VT and NH ... weather was less less then optimal but still better then work.