1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Boot Advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mondofresh, Jun 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mondofresh

mondofresh Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These awesome forums and y'all's sage advice encouraged me to get some "real" ADV boots. Last weekend I did my first long gravel road (rural Oregon) and I now realize that I should have been wearing beefier boots.

I ended up with a spiffy pair of Sidi Crossfire-3s that seem to fit just perfect (and look kinda rad). I'm a bit of a n00b, so please excuse the dumbish question. After wearing these boots around the house, what is the best way to get used to riding with them. Previous boots fit like hightop sneakers. Got any tips on how to adjust during my first couple of rides?

Thanks so much for your support and excellent advice!
    ZoomerP, Brtp4 and STLR like this.
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

Buy the optional enduro sole.

Makes walking off road much easier than the slick motor cross sole that is standard

Scott
  3. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Not much you can do to adjust other than ride with them. Keep the difficulty level of the ride low and get seat time with the boots and before you know it you'll be used to them.
  4. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smart man! Those are one of the best and most protective boots you can buy. I unfortunately cannot wear Sidi's due to the narrow footbed.
    As with everything, time and miles are your friends. Make sure that your brake and shift levers are appropriately positioned. Also, you will now be using your entire leg. As you have already found out, it is no longer a quick motion of the ankle joint for foot lever control.
  5. mondofresh

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all of the tips! I'll adjust levers this weekend and go do some casual rides. Funny thing - I have some awesome Rukka 4-season bib pants that I adore and it turns out that despite being flared, they won't fit over these boots. So - I found some Klim Carlsbad pants on deep discount. Really hoping to ride Steens Mountain and Alvord Desert in the fall, thus why I'm trying to invest in some more protective gear.
    Brtp4 and STLR like this.
  6. mondofresh

Oddometer:
    THANKFUL to have started wearing beefier boots. I had a low speed drop on a very rocky jeep trail. Couldn't quite clear the bike and my left ankle got caught under a crash bar. About 5 mins of wriggling to get myself clear. Had I been wearing my low boots, this would have been an ugly SAR case. Lessons learned: wear some beefy boots and invest in a satellite beacon (ordering one soon). Thank for the advice and recommendations and that horrific boot thread with all of the XRAY photos of injuries! You inmates are good peoples!
    ZoomerP, Brtp4 and MTBRALPH like this.
  7. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good advice to yourself - I always carry an InReach on my solo travels and have upgraded my boots. As others said, adjust your levers and get used to a slightly different way of shifting. Points for when you can successfully shift while standing....
  8. GonzoMD

GonzoMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what bike your on but you really just need seat time (and standing time) to get the muscle memory of where your foot is. You will also discover that your body position has to be different for braking and turning then for cruising along (in relation to boots vs shoes) so you get your foot in the right spot to do the next action. You will never have the "feel" of a shoe or boot that isn't a moto boot but as you experienced, purpose-built boots are the most crucial piece of gear after a helmet.
  9. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why you got them, compliments. Over time you will acclimate, and feel weird wearing anything less.

Pass your story along as advice whenever you can.

BP
    ZoomerP and Red liner like this.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Only negative I've experienced with my Sidi Crossfires vs my Side Adventures is that if you have a mechanical that necessitates any distance walking out with the crossfires... it will be something you never forget.