Adventure by default

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Grainbelt, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :1drink Its almost Spring! Ok, its -20 right now in Saskatoon, but the days are getting longer, and as soon as I get my bike past the kind folks at SGI I'll be ready to rock when the roads are clear.

Moved to SK last October, got exactly 3 rides in before I wimped out and winterized. Originally from Minnesota, cold is alright. Point of my post is that every ride I went on I kept wandering down gravel roads along the river, out in the fields, wherever. Appears that adventure touring is just a matter of fact up here - good by me. This site is great btw -- actual riders, not squids and poseurs.

Calgary folks: I"m headed your way this spring/summer. Not for any particular reason, other than I've never seen the canadian rockies. Will post for good roads when I get closer. If by some freak accident anybody else ends up in SK, look me up PM style, glad to get together.
  2. CanadaGS650

CanadaGS650 Mad fool

Oddometer:
    I will be out that way in may i think my wife told me. i could bring the 6fiddy to go for a burn with ya if your up to it. :wings Minnesota you say.. My lab came from down there :lol3 what a good little dog she is..
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Wow Grainbelt, I've never heard of someone moving TO SK!

I might be out your way this summer, I'll PM ya if I'm going that way.
  4. CanadaGS650

CanadaGS650 Mad fool

Oddometer:
    Oh ya Grain Belt dont ever think highway 14 is worth riding.. it sucks big time gravel is better the highway 14.. :huh
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The beauty of a temporaty work permit - in two years, I'm out. Saskatoon is a decent little town, and I plan on getting out and about in western canada while I'm here. Getting acquainted with hockey, curling, and canadian beer during the long winter. :slurp Not much culture shock, MN is more like canada than it is texas or california.
  6. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Here's what they looked like Feb 12. Keep watchin...

[​IMG]
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I do quite a bit of riding in MN, you're right, it's so much like Canada
    that I can hardly tell the difference. (MN border is only about 100 miles from here)

Western Canada is well worth the ride.
  8. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    And here's a shot of mountains on Feb 12th. This was taken at about 6,000 ft down in the Porcupine Hills area. Some fantastic riding to be had here... can't believe we did 470 kms there and back in the middle of February.
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Dad was born/raised in Saskatoon. That makes it a good place in my books.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  10. Kritter

Kritter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of nice riding in Western Canada...and I agree about the Adeventure riding comment...I've really enjoyed seeing the roads less travelled :1drink