Adventure Cycling Association Northern Tier ride?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Jan 17, 2021.

1. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am planning an in country ride this year. I seriously doubt that I will be able to travel through Canada this year so rather than being disappointed as I was last year I will plan on a trip across the US with emphasis on the Western US (MT, ID, UT, CO, SD, WY) I am leaving from CT and was originally planning on taking the MABDR south and then taking the TAT across and doing sections of the COBDR. IDBDR and some of the connectors. I really wanted to do some travel in Montana as well so started trying to find adventure rides in the northern parts of the country with not a lot of luck. I will be solo as I usually am and I am very comfortable with that. As I did more investigation I found that there are a lot of ACA routes across the US and in a lot of states. Most of these appear to use gravel, dirt type roads. I am not looking for a lot of hero riding but I would love dirt, gravel travels mostly. Has anyone done some of these ACA routes? Especially the Northern tier and western rides. What are your thoughts/experiences. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    KR
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    As you probably Know, the very popular Great Divide Ride is an ACA route. They put out some high quality rides. Like with any potential trip planning, it might be helpful to zoom in on their route maps to see if the route looks interesting to you or not. Any time there is a "trans" route it probably includes a lot of less than spectacular segments because they are required in order to connect the "good stuff" to achieve a long linear ride. Sometimes it is better to jump ahead to a good riding area so as to be able to spend more time enjoying that. As always, your individual preference is what is best for your trip. Hope you have a wonderful ride!

If you do traverse the northern part of the US, segments of these adventures rides might be useful:
    Trans-Wisconsin/Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (TWUPAT) | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles) | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Riding theTrans South Dakota Adventure Trail | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

A TOUGH ride across South Dakota | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
  3. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot. I will read those. I have read quite a few of the posts using the BDR and other routes including your posts. Enjoyed them immensely and watched several of the YouTube videos.

Thanks for the post.

KR
    Cannonshot likes this.
  4. rdw

rdw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Most of these appear to use gravel, dirt type roads"

With few exceptions, ACA routes are paved roads.
    AndyT likes this.
  5. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Still checking things out.

KR
  6. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not cycled any of it although I would love to sometime but I did follow some of the route in the west on a motorcycle a couple of years ago and spoke to several cyclist who were riding some or all of it and they thought it was a great route. One thing I asked about was camping and it seems the people along the way are used to cyclist and are more tolerant of wild camping and used to directing them to suitable campsites such as fairgrounds or parks.
    I agree with the above post that much of the route is on tarmac road usually with a wide shoulder.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just saw this set of tracks for lots of rides in Montana a few days ago. It was in a thread somewhere here, but I only bookmarked the Google Earth map.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ueQNxNc9V-hrqOCaN_RYEezys-s&ll=46.47616297752549,-111.94152192212641&z=7

I had to play around with the Google Maps download options to get the tracks. I think I selected .gpx kml file. I loaded the kml file into Google Earth and then created a kmz file with just the tracks that I loaded into Basecamp.

The default Google Maps download only seemed to produce a link to the tracks and not the tracks themselves.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

Thanks for these. I'll be checking those closer. It looks like a great group of possible routes.

KR