Adventure Dreams - Riding the Americas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by squr3l, Jun 7, 2017.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    buck. hoping for your quick recovery.

like dick said, let us know what can we do to help.
    Team Vegas likes this.
  2. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get well soon.
  3. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. Still trying to piece together what happened. Hopefully I'll get to talk to the guy I was riding with later tonight. Not the best way to start a trip like this
  4. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    Aww man. Best of luck recovering and keep us posted.
  5. DooSki

DooSki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, that escalated quickly. Hoping you have a speedy recovery, and can carry on with your adventure.
  6. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    OK, assuming you have some down time (BTW, get well soon and continue on your quest) maybe you have some time to answer a question or two about your tent. I looked it up and noticed a couple of things:

It's a good size (not the super small singles a lot of moto-travelers choose)
    It's really not that heavy (just under 6 lbs)
    It's really inexpensive compared to most pack tents ($114.38 on Amazon)

What am I missing? How does it hold up to weather and wear? Is it free standing? Is it easily setup?

Thanks,
  7. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Seriously, You're gonna let a broken arm and loss of memory stop you! Man, I hope you weren't wearing my gear when you crashed...
    You have my telephone number. I'll resend it in a PM. What can we do? Speak up.
  8. Happyidiot

Happyidiot Busy making the dream happen !

Oddometer:
    Hi Squr31, wow good effort laying out all your gear & taking photos/making lists of it, that would have taken ages. I'll have to do that one day.....Will :-)
    squr3l likes this.
  9. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I just flew back to CA last night. I did quite a number to myself and my bike unfortunately.

As far as the tent, I actually bought the 1 person version of that tent first, and it was great for weekend trips but I knew I wanted more space for this long trip, so I bought the 2 person too. It's surprisingly large and I have nothing but good things to say about it. (not sponsored or anything, just did my homework before buying) Great price performance ratio, and it held up well to my usage, but I think the outer bag got shredded in my fall. It held up well even through 3 days nonstop rain in Vancouver Island, but I noticed a bit of discoloration after that. Perhaps the start of some mildew ingress, so I started being really careful about completely drying it out in the mornings since then. No complaints about it. It's free standing and I used corner pegs most times except for in Dawson City when I just threw my stuff in it to keep it from blowing away. Easy to setup too, I could put it up and take it down in a couple minutes each.
    dml9 and Mr Head like this.
  10. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Migilito,
    I'm finally able to remember things more coherently, and lucky for you I was not wearing your gear when I crashed! I'm gonna take a few days to assess what my recovery is going to look like and see if I can find another bike to continue or what...
  11. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Na na. Continue you will, continue you must.its not the falling, it the how high you bounce.

Please remember all the shit im talking when i head out next June....
    pratered, Mr Head and squr3l like this.
  12. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Is your bike repairable? If so, put out the word on what you need. Fellow adventurers have a habit of helping to feed other's addictions....
    squr3l likes this.
  13. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish it were but my cursory examination at the tow yard in Fairbanks showed a lot of obvious damage to plastics, gauges, fork stanchions, steering stem to convince me it's a write off. Apparently it flipped at least 3 times and it looks pretty bad for wear.
  14. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better off been a write off if you get paid out get a replacement. Now get on the mend the body program and don't beat yourself up about it mate. No rush but get back on the horse and you have time on your side. Aaron here we met in Dawson.
    squr3l likes this.
  15. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers thanks Aaron, I wish we got to ride together. Good luck on your travels! Maybe I'll see you around one of these days.
    Aaron.S likes this.
  16. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Heard about your crash on Aaron's thread. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

Do you have a better idea of what caused the crash after speaking with the other rider?
    squr3l likes this.
  17. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good wishes.

All I know is what I've been told secondhand, but it sounds like I was riding perhaps in the right tire track near the shoulder and got rear wheel wobbles. Maybe hit a soft spot or something (had a Scott's offroad steering stabilizer cranked up though) then lost it and flipped 3 times with the bike before the bike continued a few more flips in the ditch.

I was really comfortable riding that road though and can't quite picture what would make me lose control so violently.

A big thanks to Cameron (an EMT chief who was riding with me) who did everything correct to make sure I survived and got to the hospital.

My injury tally is currently sitting at shattered shoulder ball, broken condylar? joint in my jaw, some damage to my right ear, and maybe some sinus fractures. I'm actually doing pretty well considering but have shoulder surgery scheduled for Monday am.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ah Crap,that sucks to have to end a trip like that,temporarily but still....

My last Baja ride I maybe glanced at my GPS and hit a rut slammed myself down wham! Didnt know where I was for a couple minutes.
    Ended up with a dis located collarbone,rode it out to pavement chase truck came and got me.
    Caught a lucky 22 hour ride home for instant surgery,3 months with a plate in there,then it got took out and I was on my way.
    Crashed 1st day of a 2 week trip,tip to tip on trail in Baja. I guess Im just saying things heal even at age 59 I healed quick.

Best of luck,thanks for the report!
    ONandOFF, Mr Head and squr3l like this.
  19. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Talk about being highly organized, kudos to you and stay safe@
  20. Greedyg76

Greedyg76 Certified Card Carrying A-hole

Oddometer:
    Buck - glad to see your on the road to recovery, even if only the beginning. I'll echo what @migilito said and please let us know what you need to get back up and running, we got to stick together!
    squr3l likes this.