Adventure Dreams - Riding the Americas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by squr3l, Jun 7, 2017.

1. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks G,
    Since you guys asked... I expect the bike to get totaled out but in the off chance it doesn't, I'd need a new '13+ F800GS front end basically (forks, triple clamps, steering stem, plastic dash support, front beak, guages, etc) plus side plastics, tail parts, turn signals, tons of little things... It's gonna take a while for it to get shipped from AK to CA, and I'll probably end up pulling most of my aftermarket parts off.

As far as myself, I'm still waiting for my shoulder operation before I think I'll have an idea of how long my recovery might take. I'm optimistically hoping that I'll be able to ride around the block in a month or 2, but realistically it might be a year before I am ready for a new bike. =(

All my Klim gear got cut off at the Fairbanks hospital, but I expect insurance will take care of that eventually. Not sure where my Troy Lee summer gloves went, but they're probably tatterred anyway. I don't know where my helmet ended up, but I don't think I want a modular helmet next time considering my jaw broke in the Scorpion modular. My Sidi Adventure boots still look great luckily.

Looking at it all written out, I think the only thing I really need right now is time. Maybe some interesting new models will start coming out in my downtime.
  2. Greedyg76

Greedyg76 Certified Card Carrying A-hole

Oddometer:
    1090 !! :jump
  3. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buck, I'm in OC, but if there is anything I can do give me a shout.
    squr3l likes this.
  4. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could not sleep at 5 in the morning so I thought I'd sit on the couch and continue reading this nice RR I started last night just to learn you crashed...get better soon! Best wishes from France. ! Take your time to heal. The world will still be out there next year....and then finish that report which started with such beautiful pictures..
  5. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Bummed to hear about that; it all started so nicely. Life, I guess. Many of us who have been riding for a good while have experienced unexplained crashes, some are just luckier than others. Bet you're missing the '69 Camaro by now.
    Nice story and pictures. Thanks for the gear summary, too.
    Heal quickly, heal well.
    squr3l likes this.
  6. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words @whatsupdoc and @ONandOFF.

I've spent the past month just idling my time away between doctor appointments trying to come to terms with my situation. I've had a rod and screws put into my shoulder/upper arm, and started physical therapy about 2 weeks ago. At this point I'm hoping to push my trip back a year to give myself some time to recover, but that begs the question what do I do in the meantime...

I'm not too keen on job hunting for a position I'll hopefully leave by next summer, but I'm starting to get a bit bored now. Considering a few startup ideas I have to break into the moto industry but those would take serious commitment and time, so I'm still assessing feasibility.

And regarding the ride report, I'm just now regaining my motivation to tell the story so I hope to have some more content ready soon.

Oh and since you mentioned the gear summary, I'll throw it out there: almost everything performed really well except for the inflatable pillow which started losing air 2 weeks in. After a few days of consistent rainfall on Vancouver Island my USB iPhone charger cable started corroding at both ends from the current and moisture. By the time I wrecked my tank bag zipper started tearing at a corner. And I never needed or used the bike cover though it's a nice option if you're in campgrounds populated with questionable characters.
  7. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    That's some inner strength, making the best of it. You have the attitude and approach needed for quick recovery. The job thing does sound delicate but maybe you can find some contract work or temp position, if that suits. Perhaps you'll regain enough strength to ride sooner than a year, and if your financial situation allows, and you're so motivated, head south. You might consider a lighter bike. You're solo and can travel light so that should help. The 800 is nice but kinda like driving a tack with a sledge for Central/South America. Whatever you decide to to, best wishes.
    squr3l likes this.
  8. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, those are all good ideas. Since I made it to the Arctic Circle, I was thinking I might head south first for a more drastic change of scenery, then perhaps finish up in the north if i ride back eventually. (the last stretch to prudhoe evaded me, cant collect my $$$ from joel without that)

And yes, I think a lighter bike is in order. Now that I have some hardware in my shoulder, it's going to be a struggle to regain mobility and strength on my left arm. Not sure how this might affect lifting a heavy bike, plus I don't think my shoulder would take another similar fall. I think realistically I might not be able to ride a 500 lb bike solo out to the places I've been going with it. So I've been thinking about smaller options but nothing really pops out at me the way the 800 did before. Though the thought of building another 800 up with all the farkles and homemade parts doesn't appeal either... Seems like I'll have plenty of time to think about it.
    dml9 and ONandOFF like this.
  9. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    dml9, squr3l and Mr Head like this.
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even with budget I'd consider the DRz400. A buddy has one and with the OEM carb set up it seemed to manufacture fuel compared to my BMW. He now has an FCR and that works better for performance it swills fuel about like the 990R.

But, not quite. :lol3
    squr3l, ONandOFF and Greedyg76 like this.
  11. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    I like the light weight of the 500, and with fuel injection it delivers both power and economy depending on instantaneous rider demand. It wheelies well, too! ;)
    squr3l likes this.
  12. DooSki

DooSki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been broken and put back together a few times now. One thing I can say is that modern medicine is truly awesome. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is don't slack on your physio. That is by far the biggest factor in your recovery. Stay positive, and stay active. You will be back in the saddle in no time.
    squr3l, Mr Head, Romero and 1 other person like this.
  13. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you bring up that 500exc. I met Aaron in Dawson. I wouldn't have expected to find someone riding a dirt bike up from South America but as soon as I heard it my curiosity piqued. That would be a fun ride, but on the high end of my budget perhaps. The drz400 is a nice option too, and the price is tempting.

Thanks for the advice. PT is really tedious and occasionally painful, but I've been focusing a lot on it. Seems like I'm making good progress on the range of motion exercises.
    dml9, arghhh and ONandOFF like this.
  14. arghhh

arghhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy shiet, this RR went to plaid in 1 post. I see you started the physical therapy which is great, are you up and about walking? You're not slurring your text which is a good sign.

I feel like an asshole asking an equipment question at a time like this, but what camera did you use? Your pics are great.
    squr3l likes this.
  15. Greedyg76

Greedyg76 Certified Card Carrying A-hole

Oddometer:
    :stupid
    arghhh likes this.
  16. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea I've been able to walk around decently since the accident. The lower part of my body got off lucky. And I'm not positive my slurred text would come through in the forums but at least my thoughts aren't slurred to mush. But I did take a pretty hard hit to the head, and was aware of it for a while. My balance was thrown off for a month or so.

And no problem about the gear questions. I actually took all those pics on an iPhone 7, glad you appreciated them!
    dml9, MtnRubi and arghhh like this.
  17. arghhh

arghhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank fk the crash is only affecting your life for now, not forever :thumbup You told your friends and family you wanna resume the trip? Can only imagine the amount of yakking they are throwing at you about it :lol3

Thanks for the reply to camera question.
    squr3l likes this.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hello buck. good to hear about your recovery and the plan to continue south. you'll always have our support. pics of you anywhere near tip of argentina will do to collect.

nice of you hosting guyfawkes, he told me.

just give yourself enough time to get back to 100% and sort things out. i too have a plan to ride SA but that will be in 2019 or 2010. having a smaller bike while riding solo in remote places is good. smaller displacement limits us to go fast and in many ways we get to enjoy the scenery.
    ONandOFF, Mr Head and squr3l like this.
  19. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say half the people in my life knew I'd be getting another bike as soon as I could hold one up, and I haven't really pushed the point with the naysayers yet haha.
  20. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks joel, good to hear from you.

yea oliver and i rode together for a day in whistler, bc. i hit him up once i was back home recovering and saw him headed this way. put him up in LA for a few days and showed him around a bit (would have been easier if i had a ride still!)

thats the plan. im finally starting to feel a bit better these days. its crazy how long i was wiped out from the whole ordeal. i still have a long ways to go but i feel like ill actually be able to ride a bike someday soon.