Adventure Dreams - Riding the Americas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by squr3l, Jun 7, 2017.

1. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy to say I rode by buddies XR80 around the driveway yesterday. Officially back on a bike! Though I still have a long way to go to be in adventure shape.
    dml9, MtnRubi, Greedyg76 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome!:clap
    squr3l likes this.
  3. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Keep the momentum. One day/step at a time...
    squr3l likes this.
  4. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations.

It always helps to have a focus WHY taking all this torture during healing and trainig.
    So keep yor focus to continue the untold story of your travel. We are here to listen.

Greetings and a great weekend from the sunny north of Germany
    squr3l likes this.
  5. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump, Bump, Bump.

OK I think we are ready for an update, well I am anyways.

What happened with your bike, did you get paid out, how about your gear was it covered as well?

Hope you are doing OK, would love to hear more about your trip and your future plans.

David.
    squr3l likes this.
  6. Greedyg76

Greedyg76 Certified Card Carrying A-hole

Oddometer:
    Update? Like Buck has already tackled Baja on a 250 ? how's that for an update...
    squr3l likes this.
  7. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like I've dropped the ball on this thread, but I've been building up the motivation to re-live the story and am about ready. Here's a short update in the meantime.

As Greg mentioned, I've recovered pretty miraculously so far from my shattered shoulder and broken jaw. I have a titanium rod in my shoulder now, but I was determined to get back on the horse quickly so I didn't have any subconscious doubts or hurdles to overcome later.

On Halloween I stumbled across a 1988 NX250 for sale by inmate @RonSJC and figured it would be a good bike to ease me back into riding. I've since taken it down to Baja twice for some 5 day trips, solo first to catch the Baja 1000, then again down to Puertecitos with my buddy on his XR650R.

It's been a rough 6 or 7 months, but I feel like I'm coming up on the light at the end of the tunnel. It was really hard to come to terms with my situation after waking up in the hospital broken, wondering if I would ever ride again, let alone finish my trip I'd barely just started.

I'm happy to be back in one piece now and building up my riding strength. I also picked up an XR650R to build out as a rally bike project to keep my idle hands and mind busy. My current game plan is to build out the XR as a lightweight adventure rig and head south once the bike and I are ready.

Here are a few photos to make up the for the lag.

Cape Flattery, Washington: the northwestern-most point of the continental US
    IMG_3562.jpg

Tofino Brewery on Vancouver Island. It rained the entire time I was on the island and kind of put a damper on things initially since I was trying to camp in the perpetual wetness, but I met a fellow traveler at the brewery and had a lot more fun for the next few days.
    IMG_3893.jpg

Stawamus Chief hike in BC with new friends Jenn and Maria
    IMG_3982.jpg

Train Wreck hike in Whistler with Oliver Charni who was in the midst of his North-South America trip.
    IMG_4106.jpg

More photos coming soon. I don't necessarily want to spoil the whole story with snippets, but I doubt I'll find the time to write it out in excruciating detail like the first 7 days.
    dml9, ONandOFF, roadcapDen and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you are getting along. Awesome about the plans and more photos. :clap
    squr3l likes this.
  9. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy to see you back on the horse with some motivation and a plan however loose it maybe which I find are sometimes the best plans. Safe and happy travels mate.
    squr3l likes this.
  10. Greedyg76

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff Buck! I climbed the Chief and hiked to the train last summer when I was in BC.
    squr3l likes this.
  11. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Late to the ride report and very happy to hear that you are OK.

It's a tough road to recovery and hats off to you for getting back in the saddle!
    squr3l likes this.
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hello buck. glad to see some pics.

a smaller bike will be the perfect recovery bike.

i had a surgery and month after, i bought a TW200 so i can ride while recovering. i know, my doctor will kill me if i hurt myself again...haha.

you're young, so don't rush, just take your time.

enjoy each day and eventually you're back on the big horse again.

see you at the noobs rally, even better...let's hook up sooner.
    MtnRubi and squr3l like this.
  13. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are doing well. As one of the guys who lives vicariously through the extended trips of guys like you, I wish you a speedy build on your new project.

One other thing, in your last post you mention Cape Flattery as the "northeastern-most point of the continental US". I think you meant northwestern?
    squr3l likes this.
  14. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah yea I did that intentially to make sure at least someone was paying attention! Thanks for the catch haha.

I appreciate the support and will keep posting up for you to enjoy the ride along.

Things are progressing well on the build, just knocked out a fiberglass negative mold of a ktm rally style fairing to remake in carbon fiber. Working on frame bracket and nav tower now too.
    C3142C05-AAE4-46F2-98CC-6D0095E854BA.jpeg
    7AEF7A27-B998-474A-92CA-239B642C1402.jpeg
  15. Greedyg76

Oddometer:
    Nav tower, rally fairing...? :super :lurk
    squr3l likes this.
  16. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright I feel bad I've not kept up with this but somehow life has managed to get in the way. Before I get too far along with the report, I figured I needed to sit down and write out all the gaps in the story up to now.

Flashing back to day 8 of my trip...

After a few days of hanging out at Matt's place, doing laundry, and writing up the first week of the ride report, it was time to move on. I left the hammock and straps there as I realized it would be too wet and buggy for me to enjoy them.

We hit a few cool spots in Tillamook during the day, then I rode off into the forest to find a spot to camp that night. I must have been excited to get back on the road, but I had a quick reminder to not exceed my riding skills when I came up on an unmarked sudden sharp turn leading into a bridge crossing... A quick smack of reality to get you grounded again. I couldn't slow to make the turn in time and didn't quite commit enough to a tail slide to get through so it was a glorious high side. Luckily no real damage to me or the bike and now the crash bars have battle scars for that extra respect at the coffee shop.
    IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3351.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg

I picked up my bike and dusted off my gear and self confidence. Kept on riding and luckily found a cleared logging area with a nice panoramic view on the edge of a mountain. That'll do for tonight.
    IMG_3357.jpg
    dml9 likes this.
  17. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next morning I packed up and rode up the coast to get some miles in.
    IMG_3385.jpg

I stopped by Fort Clatsop to stretch my legs but it's just a Lewis and Clark fort reconstruction that's nothing special. I pulled into Astoria looking for food, picked the top hit off Yelp, and enjoyed a great bowl of seafood chowder down at the harbor. Shot the shit with some other riders for a bit then rode off into Washington.
    IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg

After a few hours of riding it was time to find a spot for the night. There's surprisingly little camping available along the southern Washington coastline, so I did a bit of research and picked out a few possible options. The first few spots I checked out for boondocking didn't work with locked gates blocking the little dirt roads I had scouted on Google Maps satellite view. My fall back option was a rest area near Elma I found on freecampsites.net. I pulled in around 9pm and set up for the night. That's the first time I've set up a tent at a rest stop. It's not my favorite, but it'll do in a pinch and the price was right.
    IMG_3409.jpg
  18. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next day delivered the goods with beautiful weather to explore Olympic National Park. I rode back out west and up through Quinault into the NP. Before I even get into the park I cruise around a tight corner and surprise a black bear munching something on the side of the road. He panics and runs along the road right in front of me for at least a hundred feet until he gets to a gentle enough slope on the side to clamber up into the forest. Then a few minutes later I notice two bald eagles soaring above the riverbed next to me. Pretty sweet!
    IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3436.jpg

I putzed around this area for the rest of the day: rode out to the Graves Creek trailhead, checked out the World Record Sitka Spruce, hung by a creek and chatted with some locals.
    IMG_3450.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
  19. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3453.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    I did a little Google satellite research and picked out a few promising forest road turnouts just south of Quinault. The first site I checked was a bit exposed, but sure enough the second one was a nice secluded campground with a firepit at the end of a forest road sideshoot. I set up for the night, channeled my inner cordon bleu skills and cooked a so-so meal of pepper steak from Mountain House. It was clear I was now in a rainforest, and after a disappointing attempt at starting a fire I retired for the night.
    IMG_3483.jpg
  20. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I awoke the next day, broke camp, and rode off to the coast again. I stopped near Kalaloch and hiked out to the beach to stretch my legs and check the views but it was pretty overcast.
    IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_9627.jpg

I had read about the Hoh Rain Forest as a must-see part of Olympic NP, so I pointed my compass that direction. After a quick lunch stop at the only restaurant in the area, I continued towards the park entrance only to run into a parade of vehicles idling away in line. I debated my options for a bit, but after a few minutes of sweating it out I bailed. I later realized it was a Sunday right before Memorial Day, hence all the traffic. I had become so accustomed to life on the road without work or schedules that I hadn't been paying any attention to the day of the week, ha.
    IMG_3515.jpg