Adventure Dreams - Riding the Americas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by squr3l, Jun 7, 2017.

1. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Instead I set my sights on Cape Flattery, the northwestern-most point of the contiguous US. I enjoyed the cruise up the coast through little bays and towns, through the Native America reservation and out to the tip of the peninsula.
    IMG_3525.jpg
    I also got my first glimpse of Canada so far this trip! Those mountain tops are Vancouver Island.
    IMG_3535.jpg
    It's a short easy hike out to the point with absolutely beautiful views every direction
    IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    After soaking it in, I headed towards Port Angeles and figured out where I was staying that night.
  2. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might remember Dave and Jill from Norcal. Well, when I stayed with them a week ago they made sure to introduce me over the phone to their good friend Russ who lives in, you guessed it, Port Angeles. I got into town and punched his address into the GPS.
    IMG_3612.jpg

A short ride later I pulled in to meet him and the whole family. It's funny what a small world it is. I soon found out that Russ used to run the El Camino Store based out of Santa Barbara, and wouldn't you know it, I sold my '69 El Camino right before this trip, and went to school in Santa Barbara! So we actually had a lot in common to shoot the shit over. And if that's not enough... then he showed me the man cave he built in his backyard shop and offered to let me stay there!
    IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg

I'll leave you hanging with that for now, and I'll try to get the rest of the story out in less time than this one took.
    dml9, Mr Head and roadcapDen like this.
  3. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't mean to leave you all hanging for so long, and I appreciate anyone who's still following along and waiting for an update. I'm much farther along in the story now. I have a bit of free time these days, plus an apartment in Lima Peru, and recently got my computer delivered to me. That has made this process of trying to catch you all up on the story less daunting than it had been previously with only my phone on the move.

I'll start with some selections from the ending of my ride to Alaska, then get you up to speed with where I am now.

After my time in Washington, I ferried over to Vancouver Island and spent a few wet days riding around and out to Tofino before heading back to Victoria and ferrying over to Vancouver. I opted for a hostel in Tofino with some new traveler friends I met and paid for my first night of accomodation of the trip.

I stayed with some friends I had in Vancouver for a day or 2, then rode out and met the new friends from Tofino to hike up Stawamus Chief peak in Squamish. After that I continued on to Whistler where I reunited with more friends I had made on mountain biking trips to Whistler in years prior. I made their couch a homebase for the better part of a week, and did some wagonwheel spoke rides to points on interest nearby, including the Train Wreck hike, Soo River, Lillooet Lake, and Skookumchuck T'sek hot springs to name a few. I also enjoyed some of my favorite spots around Whistler like Lost Lake, and ended up floating down the River of Golden Dreams from Alta Lake to Green Lake with my friends I was staying with.

Lost Lake, Whistler:
    IMG_4090.JPG

Here's an edit from riding around Soo River one day with Oliver Charni who was heading back south after his Alaska moto trip:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVAmGp4lYzK/

And here's an edit from floating down the River of Golden Dreams:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVCrLpGFDuW/
    Mr Head likes this.
  4. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After some time relaxing in Whistler I continued north and found some nice camping spots on the way out towards Hyder.

I stayed at Seton Lake one night:
    IMG_4273.JPG

Then later I rode out to a deserted campsite at Twan Lake where the skies proceeded to open up and dump rain and hail on me before I could get anything setup in camp. Video of that here, but I apologize in advance for any foul language :X https://www.instagram.com/p/BVI2_dGFjBw/

The next morning I found myself deep in the back woods something like 50km away from pavement and all the roads had turned into a snotty muddy mess. I tried to continue the shortest route on to the next town, but it was terrain I hadn't ridden the day before and in less than 5kms I performed a spectacular pirouette in the mud. I had a hell of a time getting the bike up as my boots couldn't find any hold in the mud until I laid down all the thick tree branches I could find. I turned around and backtracked the way I had arrived after that fiasco:
    IMG_4361.JPG

As I got closer to Hyder it got harder and harder to resist stopping to snap photos around every bend in the road:
    IMG_4483.JPG
    Here's Bear Glacier that you pass on Hwy 37A before you get into Hyder:
    IMG_4473.JPG
    And here's a shot from Salmon Glacier:
    IMG_4545.JPG
    Next up was the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake:
    IMG_4622.JPG

I caught up with a familiar looking truck bed camper as I was getting into Whitehorse, Yukon, and it turned out to be a German guy about my age named Max who I had run into at a small roadside lake and passed on the road several times up to that point. We met up and wild camped together near Miles Canyon outside Whitehorse.
    IMG_4716.JPG

Here's a friendly visitor we had as we were hanging out and preparing dinner. The fox almost stole my bag of top ramen but I knew he wasn't prepared to cook it properly, so I refused to give it up.
    IMG_4697.JPG
    I was getting pretty close to Dawson City by this point, and started seeing a lot more riders converging. At a random gas stop I got chatting with a couple ADV riders I had passed a few times on the road, and Jason and Derek and I ended up camping out off the Klondike Hwy the last day before catching Dust 2 Dawson.
    IMG_5380.JPG

And then at Dust 2 Dawson I had a blast with all the like minded riders soaking up the local entertainment and rally shenanigans. Here's a picture from the top of Midnight Dome that I ended up making into my sticker for the trip down south.
    IMG_4835.JPG
    pratered, roadcapDen and Mr Head like this.
  5. Greedyg76

Greedyg76 Certified Card Carrying A-hole

Oddometer:
    Been following on IG, and it’s been an incredible adventure! I’ve spent a fair amount of time up and down Peru chasing the surf and your posts always bring back such great memories. Thanks for sharing
    squr3l likes this.
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent to see this thread being updated. I'd of course forgotten all about it until it popped back up in my feed.
    Old man thing. :gerg
    Looks like a wonderful time too. :thumb
    NSFW and squr3l like this.
  7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truly, this is really well photographed!! Great work!!
    squr3l likes this.
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following along with great interest and taking notes.

Thanks Sqrl getting this RR back on page 1.
    squr3l likes this.
  9. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, glad to hear that!

Thank you, it's been a blast!

Thanks a lot!

Thanks Joel, happy to provide some research material for you!
  10. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a fun time in Dawson City, which gets completely overrun by ADV riders during the rally.

This was as I arrived to the campsite I shared in town:
    IMG_4825.JPG

Leaving a bar at 2am one night. The sky never gets dark up there in the summer!
    IMG_4872.JPG

Watching Derek do the sour toe cocktail:
    IMG_4828.JPG

The local entertainment at Diamond Tooth Gerties:
    IMG_4843.JPG

One of the highlights was the poker run around the surrounding area. I rode a bit with Cameron during the run, who was a nice guy from Whitehorse camping out next to me.
    IMG_4885.JPG

After the poker run I participated in the bike games and didn't do very well at the standard events, but got wrangled back over to ride in the pillion games where my new pillion and I did pretty well.
    IMG_4942.JPG

Later that night I figured it was my last chance to join the club, so what the hell...
    IMG_4964.JPG

After a few fun days relaxing at the rally, plus an extra day in town to hang out and fish for good measure, I was ready to continue towards Alaska.
    IMG_5007.JPG

Here's a little Dust 2 Dawson edit I put together on the side of the road after I rolled out of town: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVgEwO7AqrG/
    pratered and Ol Man like this.
  11. Beenriding

Beenriding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    picking it up again huh pal?
    squr3l likes this.
  12. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a trip it has been for you! Happy Trails Man!
    squr3l likes this.