Adventure gear at Walmart?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fbj913, Apr 4, 2012.

1. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:

Sons of Aisle Three.

Rollback Original.
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Sells what at $2??? Ice packs, or something else?
  3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Reusable cooler ice packs.
  4. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    I've got two or three of those boxes. They work.
    Also just bought another hydration bladder. The existing one sprung a leak. The bladder works fine. Around ten bucks.
    JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    wal mart mug thermal.jpg

In the camping isle I found these double-walled thermal stainless cups or mugs.
    it was like $5.75, Ozark Trail is the brand name.

Holds just over one cup of liquid in testing. I wanted a small cup for coffee when taking a break from riding that would stow in my other cooking stuff.
    I have some titanium cups/pots, but they cool down so fast with coffee in them. Yeah, it's one more thing to carry, going to be a luxury item for me.

I'm not going to cook with this, I think the double walled stuff explodes if you try that.... :devildog

STATS:

4.5 inches tall, 3.5 across the top, about 2.75 at the base. Really firm fitting lid with drink port in it. O-ring equipped lid. Quite sturdy.

Ps; Folgers singles taste like shit. I put it in the pic for scale.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-OZ-Stainless-Steel-Lowball-Tumbler/515442905
    FMFDOC, Scotty707, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  6. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    I got the higher-end Frog-Toggs rain pants and a dry duffel bag.
    FMFDOC, MYUMPH, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  7. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I 2nd the Frogg Toggs. I use the light duty tan ones but I was dry during the 3 states long ride in the rain. 900+ mile day and i kept them on the whole time (after the rain stopped in WI, i wanted the warmth of that extra layer)
    FMFDOC, MYUMPH, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I use the light weight tan frogg toggs too. I have had very good luck with them, better luck than I had with more expensive rain gear. They fold us small and are in expensive. The legs are wide and flappy so I just use an 8" bungies and wrap around my ankles. I put the hood on under my helmet and it helps keep me warm when it is cold out. I have even worn the toggs when it's not raining to help keep warm and it makes a difference.
    FMFDOC, flei, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  9. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used the frog toggs as well, an excellent value. Just don’t let them get around any Velcro, I took the map sleeve off my tank bag once and that raw hook strip picked a bald place on my jacket. That repair glue that comes with them is some ferocious stuff too.
    MYUMPH and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 For Frogg Toggs.
    Keep em away from the pipes too.
    FMFDOC, JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. Smaug1

Oddometer:
    Here's the dry duffel I got at Walmart.com: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...w6yMGjk-ePjJHBf_7Wk4Xso5A_TFReXBoCPR8QAvD_BwE

It's really nice. It has held up to torrential rain. Can't believe the price. (I think I paid closer to $30 though) It seems to work just like the more expensive ones, with the bonus of adding a pop of fluorescent green to the bike. It's roll top with two quick release buckles, and two more on the ends.

When I toured on the CBR500R last year, I bungeed this to the passenger seat with my clothes in it. (since I don't need to get to most clothes until I'm in the hotel.) Rain gear went in the top box.
    [​IMG]
  12. Smaug1

Oddometer:
    They also make a 40L one in a quieter color scheme. ;)
    [​IMG]
  13. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    are these available in your retail store or just as an online purchase ?
  14. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the Folgers singles are great and are the easiest/lightest way to bring coffee on trips. Perhaps try "dunkin" it in the cup more or less times. For me, once my water is boiling, I "dunk" it 20 times for the best taste.
  15. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    I will give the Folgers another try....:lol3
    I use to enjoy them several many years ago, not sure if they changed the recipe or if it's just me. I will try again.
    FMFDOC and MYUMPH like this.
  16. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    They also make a 40L one in a quieter color scheme. ;)

So, the 40L is just for fat people, right?
  17. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I learned (maybe from the stoves discussion thread) about the Starbucks Colombian (also tried their French Roast but find it too strong) instant packs. Great stuff! Costco regularly has 2 10-pack boxes on sale. I use it every time I'm traveling and do not have time to brew.
    Edit - Starbucks Via Columbia.
    FMFDOC, JagLite, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Nescafe Classico Dark Roast aint your daddys Nescafe of old. This newer stuff is pretty good. Safeway has it. I keep it on hand for bike stock and for when I run out of whole bean Sumatra at the house.
    FMFDOC, JagLite and MYUMPH like this.
  19. Smaug1

Oddometer:
    Just online. These days, Walmart is trying hard to compete with Amazon, and that means having high quality stuff available online, rather than just the (generally) cheap stuff they have in the stores.
    FMFDOC and JagLite like this.
  20. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe I just stumbled onto this article. I love it! About 10 years ago Backpacker magazine wrote an article about one person that spent $2000 on name brand ultra light gear and another who spent $150 at Wally world for a week long backpack trip. In the end the only thing that failed from Walmart was the cheap rain gear that lasted less than a day but everything else worked out fine. I think it would be great of Road Runner Mag did a similar article.

I'm alsi finding that most people aren't that happy with Camelbak products. In all my years of mountain biking I never liked Camelbak. I don't think I've ever taken a sip out of one that didn't taste like either chemicals or mold/mildew. For the money they requireway too much maintenance. If you have to do all that, might as well get something cheaper right? ;)

keep up the good work, I'm getting some great ideas like the that Hi-viz waterproof duffel bag. I think I'm going to pick one up for my next weekend trip.
    Smaug1, FMFDOC, JagLite and 1 other person like this.