Adventure gear at Walmart?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fbj913, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to bother to read and see if anyone has posted this yet, and I don't know if it is everywhere (but I think it is)...

BUT, my local Walmarts carry "Lodge" band cast-iron cookware, which is made in the USA and HQ'd here too, for really good prices and they usually have a few different options. Everybody needs a decent cast iron frying pan!
  2. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree that the cheaper alternative hydration packs are just as good. That said, I do like the Camelbak bite valve better than others. Fortunately you can buy just the bite valve for cheap and install it on almost any hydration bladder. I tend to go through bite valves pretty fast so it isn’t a big deal for me to replace with the Camelbak version.
    phreakingeek and Ladybug like this.
  3. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I did: I added a Camelbak detachable bite valve to my Platypus Hoser hydration bladder.

My gear is slowly trending toward multi-brand integration where and when possible and desired, such as what I describe above. Each individual part is the best [that I've found] at what it is supposed to do. When done correctly, the outcomes are synergistic.
    phreakingeek and Sonny S. like this.
  4. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

On those days where you just can't get the bike to start or run. You can use it like starter spray.
  5. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Works great in alcohol stoves too.
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK going back a little here.
    I watched this video last week and thought I need a set up like that. So I bought the Stanley kit, a pocket stove and the stainless cup.
    I also liked the Ranger Band he used to hold it together. Well after watching the video I did a rear tire and tube change on a DR650 and when I pulled the tube out I thought... Huh, bet I can make a heavy duty rubber band.
    So I did. This is from a 4.60-5.10 heavy duty tube. I cut a 5/16" slice. Works great.
    I don't claim to be a pioneer and this has probably been done before but I thought it relevant to the Walmart thread, Stanley cooker and us looking for less expensive options. I put two on here just so I know where a spare is but this sucker isn't going anywhere with one. 20190517_213042.jpg 20190517_212757.jpg
  7. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another thing one can do with a sliced HD tube is wrap one or two around your folded up fly or tarp setup.
    I try to incorporate them into my tarp setup so if its gusty out it works like (but better) than a bungee cord to absorb the wind or rain weight.
    nzrian, Helibee, Sonny S. and 3 others like this.
  8. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correction on the tube I used on this one. It must be an Ultra Heavy Duty. I'm doing a tire change now and have a heavy duty tube in the box and it's not as thick.
    Either way, I'm sure they'll all work just might need a wider strip.
    FMFDOC likes this.
  9. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have that little stanley kit and it works great, interesting stuff he did with it on the video. I've kept the 10oz cups though, just make my morning coffee strong. Less water = less pee stops once I take off.
    FMFDOC and Sonny S. like this.
  10. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm on a roll cutting strips of inner tube. Wrapped my tire irons, wrenches and anything I can in my tool tube. I hate rattles!
    FMFDOC, JagLite, Eatmore Mudd and 3 others like this.
  11. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought one and took it on a 500 mile weekend trip. No rain but it seems waterproof and works perfect strapped across the back of the seat. Perfect size for the clothes I needed. I'd say worth the $30 delivered.
    FMFDOC, MYUMPH, JagLite and 1 other person like this.
  12. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    84B9074D-140B-48B4-9105-F09FC9F6F647.jpeg
    I have that same Stanley set up with a small Primus stove. I call it my ghetto Jetboil. I recently discovered that two of the small Primus fuel canisters fit perfectly inside the Stanley
    FMFDOC, globalt38, Kinsman and 8 others like this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    One can upside down fits and leaves room on top for the $8 orange box stove and room left over for other stuff like coffee packets, oat meals etc.

[​IMG]
    FMFDOC, globalt38, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  14. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I do the same thing and it works great. A person on a limited budget can have fun camping and not have to over extend their finances.
    FMFDOC, JagLite, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    That and God forbid anyone loose their gear or have to up and leave it behind, the lower cost of it stings less and makes replacement easier and more available.
    FMFDOC, JagLite and Ladybug like this.
  16. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also enjoy the bargain bins at Steepandcheap.com. I have snagged some nice gear there over the years.

You truly don't have to get the most expensive gear at every point in your camping adventure. I appreciate well designed and constructed gear, but for a lot of folks, this is stuff they will use 1 maybe 2 times a year. There's no point in spending Big Agnes money on a tent if you'll use it 8 times before you stop camping. If you will use it 10-12 times a year, then sure, by all means, get the good tent, with the good waterproofing and strong design (because sooner or later you'll be inside it for a raging thunderstorm), but if you're a casual camper, who mainly camps in fair weather and only does it occasionally, the cheap gear works just as well as the expensive stuff. Tents, sleeping gear, stoves can all be had for very inexpensive prices. You don't need high-dollar backpacking food either (yes, it too has a place, but if you're camping from your bike you don't need it).

I often grab a can of tinned roast beef (about $2) and a package of Idahoian instant mashed potatoes ($1 - precooked rice works too) they're salty as hell but flavorful. You can add mushrooms ($1 usually) and broccoli or broccolini ($2 usually), and feed two people fairly cheap. Throw in a cheap bottle of Cab Sav for $6, and you've got a decent road meal for two for $11. Would I want to live off it? Probably not, but it's fine after a day of riding, and makes the ground much softer after the wine is consumed :drink

I hate to see folks turn away from camping or ADV travel because they think they can't afford it.
    FMFDOC, DirtyOldMan, TaZ9 and 7 others like this.
  17. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    In lieu of Pedialyte, I carry powdered Gatorade concentrate. I can vary the strength when mixing, thus stretching it farther than if I mixed it at full strength per the label (which actually provokes thirst, in my experience).
    Sonny S. and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
  19. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might have to try that, gatoraid gives me heartburn so I’ve been using the gatoraid chewys. But I’m not certain they are anything more than candy, like gummy bears or something.
  20. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same cup but my stove didn't come in an orange box. I usually get 2 cans of progresso soup (dinner and breakfast) then stop for lunch. I dropped 3 pound over my 3 week vacation. I pick up gatorade to have something differnt than water all of the time.
    FMFDOC and JagLite like this.