Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. drummervinny27

drummervinny27 One of those darn kids

Oddometer:
    My experience with the summer ride was fun. Big bike friendly but the pace is generally leisurely. Unless you’re up front. Those guys can ride pretty quick. I spent most of my ride solo even though there were 80 riders there. Too slow for the fast riders but too fast for the leisure riders.
    rbsride365, Biff's R and Rudderfeet like this.
  2. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Sounds fun but may not be worth the 3.5 hour ride there and back for me. Especially if I need to be down there by 9:30 or earlier for the 10am start. Take some pics!
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring the route sheet home with you and we can ride it another time this fall without all the back markers clogging the route kicking up dust and camping out at intersection checking their phones with 15 riders in a group.:hair
    Rudderfeet and rbsride365 like this.
  4. skosples

skosples Beli

Oddometer:
    Hi all, not sure whether this has been posted already and if it has and I missed it, I apologize for being repetitive.

I tend to listen to podcasts while I ride and a few years ago, I came across the Adventure Rider Radio series. I was catching up with some of the recent episodes and came across an episode featuring one of our inmates Ohio_danimal about his quest to Ushuaia. I met Dan once just before he left on his trip and it seemed like a wonderful experience....turns out it was much more than that.

Here is the link through Google podcasts, but I am sure you can find it on other platforms as well.
    https://play.google.com/music/m/Dee...venture_Rider_Radio_Motorcycle_Podcast_Travel

Cheers and happy listening
    Rudderfeet and rbsride365 like this.
  5. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    His ride report is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/cycl...rom-ohio-to-ushuaia-now-in-jaen-peru.1296625/
    rbsride365, Rudderfeet and skosples like this.
  6. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Yeah there was nothing to see at AIMExpo. New Africa Twin, Twisted Throttle, Clearwater, and a ton more, but that is just on the ADV side. Chad Warner was there, the Marine from Ohio that has an ADV podcast. Scot Hardin was there.

If you like motorcycles..............well I'm sure you guys were all out riding.

The single biggest motorcycle trade show in the US comes to Ohio and you guys cant be bothered. Perhaps if more of you showed up they'd be able to attract even more companies. I talked at length to six guys that came from Auckland NZ, they seemed to like the show.

Embarrassing, Ohio is 3rd in the US in motorcycle registrations so the show is here, but $15 and a few hours of your time is just too much of an investment.

Heading to Eicma in Italy next month. They will have 700,000 over a 10 day period.
  7. B-Mac

Oddometer:
    No offense but.........
    GAF.jpg
    You are a great spokesperson for the industry Scott.
    Stay Strong.:nod
  8. skosples

skosples Beli

Oddometer:
    This is the best graph I've seen in a very long time....and I see graphs every day :)
    sion likes this.
  9. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Spot on as far as I'm concerned.
  10. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    $15 is nothing...my time however...is priceless
  11. motojunky21

motojunky21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was thinking of hitting a bunch of the non- maintained stuff south of Laurelville on little bikes, any locals know of a place to leave a truck parked for the day in the area?
  12. XMtnman02193

XMtnman02193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, wish there had been more ADV Stuff. But I had a good time. Definitely sold on a set of Clearwater Lights for my bike now. Working 6-days a weeks and having a day to myself for once was nice.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  13. B-Mac

Oddometer:
    Check with BikeRidermark
    motojunky21 likes this.
  14. B-Mac

Oddometer:
    Check with Mark
    https://advrider.com/f/members/bikeridermark.112515/
  15. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You"re more than welcome to park at my place.
  16. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Face it. It's not much of a show compared to what the industry shows used to be. You can see more bikes at Iron Pony. Not near as many accessory companies there. Several booths of Chinese parts makers.
    Ok if you wanted to test ride some bikes.
    i would pay $15 bucks for the show.
    rbsride365 likes this.
  17. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer! Pm your address and I may take you up on that. Haven't been through Laurelville in a while, was just hoping to find a parking lot or something like that.
  18. Dirty Titanium

Dirty Titanium Mostly Pedaling

Oddometer:
    So the automation company that I was working for did some major downsizing ,Id make the cut as they favored the guys with over 10 years experience. So I'm ending up with unexpected free time as I'm not going to jump right back in somewhere else. I figure I can wander off on the bike for a week or two at the end of October/beginning of November. Can't quite decide where to go though. It will have to be on my Buell as I don't quite trust my DR for a trip yet. I really want to do the trans Labrador highway at some point, but I'm thinking it might be a bit late in the season for that? I do have full heated gear. Any recommendations on where to go that late in the season? I was also thinking I could just do a portion of the TAT, I like staying off pavement when I can
    Picture of the bike for reference, but I'm sure most of you have seen it anyway:
    KIMG1115.JPG
  19. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tar Hollow has a parking lot by the dam that is relatively close to where you want to ride also.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  20. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was originally thinking about parking in Tar Hollow, but wasn't sure if my truck would be safe. I forgot about the lot you are talking about. That could work.