Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The one by by the dam seems to be the busiest in the park, so is probably the safest if for some reason you are unable to park at Mark’s.
    motojunky21 likes this.
  2. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    What industry shows are you talking? Dealer Expo was in Cincy/Indy for 40 years before folding. It was not open to the public. The motorcycle industry's biggest year was 05/06, prior to that it was 1973. We are now selling 1/3 of the bikes we did in 05/06. I know it is a chicken and egg thing, but the show will NEVER get big if even the locals do not go. Every rider around busted their ass to get into the previous dealer only expo, but now that it is open to the public, its not worthy. So. Cal. and Vegas shows don't work in the motorcycle industry because it's too close to where a ton of the manufacturers are, but I guess I'll tell the shows producers to move it since its overshadowed by Iron Pony. Lol.
  3. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    MABDR https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/ was nice last year in early Oct. Definitely doable on your Buell, though I would probably avoid the bypassable challenge sections.
  4. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    I think the MABDR would be a perfect fall trip. Doesn't require much of any planning and the GPS maps are free. Start at the north end and go south in hopes of it getting warmer on the way down. The harder parts are in the south but there are some beautiful sections up north. Fast, flowing double track and single lane road. The only challenge section I would bypass is the short one just north of I80. It may be fine this time of year but in the spring is was a wet muddy mess I guess. The longer bypass to the south of it is doable on the Buell. I've done the whole thing minus the small bypass on a loaded two up Vstrom so you can do most any of it solo if you've got much of any skills at all. Not to say you don't need to be careful but it's all doable for sure. I would bypass the whole Harpers Ferry section unless you are a history buff and have time to kill. We didn't have the time and it was pretty congested when we did it. Tourism. And no real reason worth doing it if you were stopping at the historical sites. Sounds like you're not super pressed to get back to work immediately but sure it a bummer this didn't happen in the spring! lol. Good luck with the job hunt. We've actually had a hard time filling a couple of decent positions here. Seems no one want's to work. Or they skip town just before their 90 days is up so that they can keep collecting from the government. Have fun no matter what you do.
  5. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, SCQTT, the dealer expos were huge. Last one I went to in Indy was probably at least 10 times larger than this show. The V-twin show used to be way bigger than this. They should have let the public in to those for a few days. People wanted to go because there was a lot of stuff there. If this AIMEXPO is supposed the be the premiere show, they might as well hang it up. The motorcycle industry is hurting big-time, but this show isn't going to help it.
    You can tell the producers to move it wherever. It's not a good show. I still stand by my statement....Iron Pony is bigger and better than this show has been for the two years I attended.

Oh, yea, the umbrella girl was great!
  6. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I have a friend looking for a 250 dual sport of some kind. Seems like some folks here had some stuff for sale but I couldn’t find them. He’s not a wrench so good mechanical is a must. Let me know if you or somebody you know has something. Thanks
  7. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
  8. Biff's R

Biff's R Hill William

Oddometer:
    I was planning to go, but that may be out due to my son’s ice hockey game in Oxford Sunday morning.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the mention! Doing the interview with Jim Martin was great fun and I hope we can do more of them. One for each country coming (am now on the coast in Peru) maybe.
    This journey is the best thing I’ve ever done. Hard to describe what riding hundreds of miles of unpaved “death roads” through the Andes in Peru is like. I used to be afraid to watch the scenery while hauling mail on the BRP, etc. for fear of crashing.
    All the years and all those miles hardly prepared me. Really really don’t want it to end.

E505EB7C-3EE4-4BD9-AAD0-B0D8C9A657F5.jpeg 2B8E387C-D35C-44CA-A736-5FFE1B0BE0C9.jpeg 31BC39A3-8E2D-4E52-A417-1DFA69896A02.jpeg 73F150C2-2A7E-4F85-998B-5515220890CF.jpeg 770AC58E-4A9A-47AD-A685-F8E83BEEBDD0.jpeg 6707C376-720B-4A4E-A7D5-A2C1CAF87576.jpeg
  10. Drifter136

Drifter136 Lab Rat

Oddometer:
    I am still debating selling my 2016 WR250R, so it may be available. I have been warned not to sell it, but I have only ridden it a few times this year.
  11. motojunky21

motojunky21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20191005_150110.jpg Had a great ride Saturday down around Tar Hollow, lots of good non-maintained stuff in that area. Still quite a few Baby Burr arrows hanging. Thanks B-Mac, BikeriderMark and Benly on the parking suggestions.
    Chazzz and Dirty Titanium like this.
  12. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    B-Mac & BikeriderMark's Weekday Invite
    ADV Ride.:p3rry
    With a overnight Marietta. Depart OCT 09 Wed. 9:30AM ish. Breakfast at 9am. Pearl’s restaurant Logan Ohio, 664. Walmart Parking Lot. ADV route to Corning-Chesterhill-Staying north of 550 along Wolf creek- BTW. Barlow/Watertown into Marietta. Staying at the Microtel inn/suites 506 Pike St, Marietta, OH 45750. :beerReturn Thur. South west rout. Vincent-Cutler-little Hock-Coolville-Amesville-Chesterhill or another break-off point.

:ricky Big Bike friendly. Sir. Benly has ridden some of this route with me. Dust level LOW. Temp's Spot on. Take a Sick Day,:sick Bring a friend and share a room $73.80.
    Biff's R and motojunky21 like this.
  13. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Straydog365

Straydog365 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a street titled WR400 in the flee market last year. Nice bike if he is interested in something a little larger.
  16. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd sure love to join in but sadly I am a broke ass working fool :( Hope you guys enjoy!
  17. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a pretty crazy weekend on four wheels instead of two(3 occasionally and maybe 2 once or twice). I am a little(lot) anxious when it comes to heights and putting myself in questionable danger. Call me a pussy if you desire. Glad I did it though.
    6FB3BA33-3453-4BB1-A8EC-EB494FB6BB4C.jpeg 93730D28-15D1-43BC-BC1C-4D4EC1AB3B21.jpeg D80403D0-90D2-46FC-BA20-1D97BAC13662.jpeg
    XT Traveler, steveb126 and B-Mac like this.
  18. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to save the sick days for riding NOT healing from run-in's with deer and fixed objects. We will try to schedule more OCT. surprise rides during the weekend.
    Chazzz likes this.
  19. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    anybody have, or know of a reliable vehicle for sale in the $2-2.5k range? preferably awd/4wd SUV
  20. Chazzz

Chazzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am working every Saturday for the rest of the year at least but should be pretty free on Sunday's with a few days notice. Been a while since I've gotten down that way.