Adventure Is Out There! - 1500 Miles of Desert Fun. Mines, Hot Springs Etc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hodakaguy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2nd time reading this one, nice job. I would be interested in your gps route if you have it. I'm planning a trip that way in OCT. How would the weather be then?
  2. Stalspeed

Stalspeed PullnG'sTillTheyPuke

Oddometer:
    Hodakaguy,

Great RR, the vid's put it in such a different perspective...from the highlands down to the desert floor...absolutely awesome!!

Just out of curiosity, how far were you able to go on a tank of gas with the 6.3 gallon tanks that you guys had and approx how far was it between fuel stops? Did you notice a big difference in weight on the front and handling characteristics with such a big tank?

I also had a BRP (which imploded on me) and then bought my '09 530EXC (which I believe is one of the best bikes that I've ever had) and am getting ready to do a trip next week to ride 400 miles of the Colorado 500 route, which I can't wait to do (first time riding up at altitude and in CO)!!! RR to follow. Did you also have a WRR at one point, thought that I may have also seen you on the WRR forum also, back when I had mine prior to the BRP.......
  3. Creepwood

Creepwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some beautiful and inspiring pictures in this thread. Reminds me of when I drove from Tahoe to Las Vegas......I didn't know a landscape like that still existed in America. It was refreshing and uplifting.
  4. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:

We averaged around 50mpg and the tanks actually hold about 5.5gal...giving us a pretty good range. Fuel stops didn't end up being a problem as all the places we stopped at had fuel available, if a station had been out of fuel it may have been a different story. I have a different spring for the rear and I adjust the front pre-load to get the suspension tuned back in with all the extra weight. The bike feels a little heavy with the large tank and all the gear but you quickly get used to it and think nothing of it.

My buddy had a WRR and I helped him set up that forum so I was on it for a while.

Have a great time on your trip!, and post up a link to the RR :deal

Hodakaguy
  5. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Just a update on the B24, we finally found it! Pictures in my ride report here: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy
  6. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:

That looks like one of the Landing Zones in Halo ... You even have one of the ODST helmet's ... :huh ... I cant tell if that guy on the wall looks like the Master Chief or a Hunter... :clap
  7. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
  8. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    GREAT RR. Just rediscovered it...again. Liked the vids so much I copied them to my FB account. AWESOME JOB!

:clap
  9. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    I remember this from pnwds... Awesome RR
  10. ABeaulieu

ABeaulieu n00b

Oddometer:
    This is an awesome report ! So inspiring ! But I wonder how you dealed with oil ? For a 530, KTM recommend 15h intervals .. And, what tires do you have ? I'm running on Kenda Trackmaster II, but they're melting so bad fast !
  11. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    The 530 works perfectly for long distance desert travel. When around home I change oil at the recommended 10-15hrs. When on a long trip I usually push it out to 800-1000 miles between changes (engine side oinly, I change the trans side once I return home).. Often you are covering ground quickly in the open desert and the bike is plenty capable of going a couple changes past the recommended interval.

When on a trip I carry a full qt of oil in the Giant Loop bag and a 2oz Nalgene bottle (LINK HERE) full of oil in the tank bag for topping the bike off with each morning. The Nalgene bottle works perfectly for filling the bike and once low I just refill it with the bottle in the GL bag. Since the 530 only holds .6 qts on the engine side I can change oil half way through the trip and have plenty of oil left over for topping off with. Having the qt of oil is also handy if you end up getting water in the engine durning a failed stream crossing and need to change oil before continuing on.

Also when carrying the oil on the bike take a roll of electrical tape and tightly wrap the lid, it's a extra guarantee that it won't leak and keeps the lid tight and secure. :deal

For tires I run Dunlop D606's while on long trips, along with Extra heavy duty tubes. They hook up remarkably well for a DOT legal tire and wear like iron, after a 1500 mile trip I'll still have 40-50% tread left. Another plus for the 606 is they have stiff side walls which helps prevent pinch flats while on the trail. The 606's are notorious for being out of balance, when balancing the tires it can help to play with the position of the tire on the rim to minimize the amount of weight needed. I use and love these removable wheel weights from a ADV member (CLICK HERE), having the wheels balanced makes a huge difference when you need to hop on the highway to connect the next trail.

Hodakaguy
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just found this RR.
    awesome!
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  13. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man what a kewl ride and report with pics and vids! Thanks!!!:D
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  14. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks...hoping to make another ride down that way next summer!

Hodakaguy
    MasterMarine likes this.