Adventure R rally skid/storage plate...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Arch, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
  2. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    where does one in the USA buy one?
  3. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Dunno, John. FWIW, the one pictured above at that foreign auction site isn't like the one that the factory used to sell. And speaking of which, in another thread someone mentioned a left coast shop that had one factory unit laying around, so I called 'em today and am buying it. The guy's gonna send me a pic or two and I'll share it with ya. And of course, I'll take plenty more pics once it's arrived.

Arch
  4. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Arch, I almost bought that very bash plate you ordered, when I was prepping my bike for the Alcan 5000. I ended up passing on it when I found out it weighed something like 20lbs!

Chris
  5. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Really? Geez, I wouldn't that think the little side tank & storage bin would add a heck of a lot of heft. It's all thin aluminum (or so I'm told) and given that it replaces the stock skidplate, I figured there'll be some give & take there.

Oh well, thanks for the heads-up, Chris. So other than its weight, did ya notice anything else about the thing? Quality? Does it look new? Are all the pieces there? Tom seemed like a nice fellow.

I'm not gonna run the thing full time, but it'll come in handy on our desert/mountain excursions where I'm carrying containers for water & such anyway. Plus it seems like some added protection against rocks, etc.

Arch
  6. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Arch

I got one for my 01 Adv R about year and a half ago. Works fine, no problem. Not sure but my guess would be it weigh's around 7 lbs. Now is just a guess, could be wrong. If it does weigh more I don't notice it because it is at the point of the low center of gravity. One of good thing is that it protect the fuel petcock. I will try and send some pictures that show what I mean. I got mine from Sommers in Germany. Came to Montana in less that a week, takes longer than that for stuff to get here from the East Coast.

flyshop

Attached Files:

7. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Arch

Front view of petcock protection I was talking about.

flyshop

Attached Files:

8. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks a bunch for the pics and info, Flyshop. Seems these things come in all sorts of shapes!

:beer

Attached Files:

9. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Arch

The thing comes in three pieces when you get it. The one on the bike in your last picture has the water tank on the left side, the one on my bike and the first picture has the tool box on the left side. You can buy it either way or get the other part and change it when you want. Only thing is you have to take the skid plate off the bike to do it. You could also take both sides off and use it as just a skid plate with no tool boxes. Only thing is,like I said,is that you have to take it off the bike to put on or take off the side boxes. If you look on your first picture you can see the nuts and bolts where they come together.

flyshop
  10. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    Arch,

I was going by what he guy on the phone told me from CA, as I am in MA. I hope it is lighter than 20lbs! Truth be told, I also had far exceeded my "budget" for the Alcan, so that was a factor as well. If you could put it on a scale when you get it, let us know how much it really weighs!

Chris
  11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Bebop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arch, now THAT is the bash plate I have been waiting for! Do you have any idea where to find one?
  12. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    There we are... Another fix for that tank protection thread from the other day... And it looks really cool too!
  13. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply, John. I just bought the one in California that I mentioned above, will post pics & info once it gets here (next week). It's the only one they had, btw.

Doesn't appear in any current or even semi-current official KTM catalogs I have, so not sure if it can be ordered stateside or not. If not, then Schneider Cycles still lists it. Just click here on their "Power Shop" page, then select "KTM LC4 & Duke" from the drop down box, followed by "Engine Cover" in the second drop box that appears.

590 Euros currently converts to about 640 bucks, and of course you'll need to add for overseas shipping.

It's a bit different than Flyshop's, more like the one on the blue & orange Adventure pictured a few posts up. Seems they built more than a few versions. Here's a quick visual (and this is roughly what the one I'm buying looks like)...

Attached Files:

14. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    What did you end up paying for yours arch?
  15. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Three bills plus shipping. They don't have a website so if I hadn't heard about it in another thread, I'd still be looking for one. Just good fortune I suppose. It was a customer's, if memory serves, and I guess it'd been laying around there for a while as it had never been installed. Nice folks, btw.

Arch
  16. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    Sounds very reasonable. I got a little shell shock when i saw that 590 euro... thats $1000. CDN! I like it, but not that much! Hope there are some more at your price somewhere!
  17. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arch

Has your bash plate arrived yet?

What do you think of it if it has?
  18. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Good grief. I tell ya, Tim, it just blows me away the way some people "do business"...

The "seller" (Tom @ Moore & Sons in Santa Cruz) sent me some pictures of the part almost a month ago. He took my credit card & shipping info about that long ago as well. The deal was done, far as I knew.

After it failed to show up when promised, I called and was told he hadn't shipped it yet. Said something about having to contact the guy selling it, a customer of theirs. When we'd spoken before, the part was for sale, the sale was made, I was told it would be shipped - period. This was the first I'd heard about anyone needing to be contacted & such.

OK, so I give him the benefit of the doubt and am friendly about the whole thing. Folks get busy, I understand that.

Maybe another week passes and I call again, nice as always, just to see if it'd been shipped. Same story, 'cept now it includes something about not being able to reach the customer. On that occasion, Tom says he's just going to ship it to me.

More time passes, and of course, no charges appear on my online cc statement, so I call the shop and am given the exact same story. He's gonna ship it my way. It's a struggle by now, but I'm still just a nice feller about it all.

That was a few days ago, and of course, nothing's changed. Just off the phone with him this morning and he says they've been busy and that he'll ship it next week. In other words, more of the same.

He then says that I sound discouraged. Understand that I've never been rude with him any way imaginable. I politely tell him that yea, I am a bit discouraged. He cops an attitude and asks if I just wanted to blow the whole thing off, seemingly stopping just shy of telling me to stop bothering him.

Well, truth be told, all I really wanted was to simply have something I thought I'd purchased - shipped to me as agreed to by its seller. But I don't like being spoken down to like I'm the one who's playing games, and I REALLY don't like being treated like an idiot. So, umm, I told him to keep his part.

Pisser is, a week ago a friend told me about a used one that was for sale up in his neck of the woods. The way he described it, it was like the one pictured in the auction I mentioned to start this thread. It was about 50 bucks cheaper and had been used a bit, but there was nothing wrong with it. Of course, now I find that that one's gone. So I missed a solid opportunity while being strung along. So much for that, eh?

:1drink

I'm still looking and may just buy one from overseas, it's just not enough of a priority to justify a bunch of extra dough. Besides, I gotta get me a new exhaust like Scotty's!
  19. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Arch, I just don't understand some people - how do they stay in business if that's how they treat customers? - Dunno!

I've been considering getting one from Sommer but the 590 Euro price seems a bit steep, although I can't find one any cheaper anywhere else.

I'm getting as many photos of these bash plates as I can and will then go to see my local fabricator to see if he thinks he can do anything for me.

I'll let you know how I get on.
  20. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    Dont that just piss you off :splat I feel like phoning that guy and givvin him shit! Tell him that his name is all over the internet. Know where i will never buy parts!

Sorry to hear that Arch. Looks like a cool toy. :mad: