Adventure ride of the Odd Couple or "I wish I had gone alone!"(to Tuk & Deadhorse)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gone_Ridin, Feb 24, 2019.

1. kres

kres Arrrrrrrrr! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love'n it! Tell me more! Tell me more!

:lurk
  2. Vacillator

Vacillator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't help thinking....I would love to hear buddy's side of this tale.
    Prmurat, Kyron, StanBo and 10 others like this.
  3. toothpuller

toothpuller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report, you made good time getting through the lousy weather and road conditions , looking forward to hearing more of the story, sounds like buddy wasn’t enjoying this trip as much as you.
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  4. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gotta ask. Is yer buddys name Nate?
    mytmav likes this.
  5. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m reading every word you’re writing, at the same frantic pace you ride. Ha!
    When I went up the first time, I was on a similar pace. (Average 650 miles a day). I’m going back this summer if I can get myself in good enough shape by August. Hopefully with a somewhat slower pace. I can really relate to your story though. Early in my riding years I went down to the Smokys with a guy that had on two pairs of gloves. Every time we stopped for gas, he had to check his phone. Every time he has to take his gloves off. Then he’d play with the phone get gas and put the gloves on, then he’d realize he hadn’t buckled his helmet yet, so off came the gloves again.. As tension grew between us he slowed down on the highway. 18 wheelers were passing us as we got near home. I stuck with him, but never rode with him again.
    Really enjoying your RR. I do ride one of those greyhound sized bikes, but forgo the topcase, and have soft bags on the back.
    Looking forward to the rest. Hope I don’t hit snow next August. I’ll be riding alone.
    Folly1, Gone_Ridin and i4bikes like this.
  6. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    BruceT, Vacillator and Gone_Ridin like this.
  7. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    wilfred, rider1150gsadv and nk14zp like this.
  8. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report. I hope to do the same ride from Michigan
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  9. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too. Back when we were racing sleds he could really "Expand" reality and a few of the bits I heard him telling others we met really had me howling so his take would be interesting for sure!
    nk14zp likes this.
  10. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    MizzouRider and nk14zp like this.
  11. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Day 11: August 23rd I was up and at the dealership, Northern Powersports, when they opened. After looking at the limited selection that would fit I went for the Shinko 705. I had used them on the 640 I rode around Eastern Europe and knew they were hard and tough; probably what I would need on the Dalton gravel. Service manager said they were pretty booked so I asked if there was a spot that it would be OK for me to change it myself. He had me come around into the compound area where they received deliveries. I had the wheel off the bike and was just starting to remove the tire from the rim when he came back again with a young apprentice. Told him to take it to the shop and mount and balance it. They were quite a while getting the tire done and then the young fella came walking over and asked if I had the original tubeless rim valve, all they had were pull throughs and the diameter was a bit off so it might leak. I dug into my tool bag and gave it to him, reminding him that I also wanted the tube back for a spare. While waiting I looked up directions to the Honda dealer, hadn’t heard from buddy yet and figured his next chase would be to replace the fukled genuine Honda pannier. I hadn’t heard from him yet but figured I would wait so that he wasn’t alone on the Dalton after his solo Dempster adventure. After putting the wheel back on and paying my bill, I rode over to the Honda shop only to be told exactly what I expected; “No one buys those, they’re shit. We have a set of aftermarkets or soft ones like yours” No thanks. And I headed to the North side of the city, texted him my location and waited another hour. While at the gas station waiting a Mexican family pulled in on rented beemers; Mom and dad riding 2 up with their sons each on their own bikes. They had rented them in Anchorage for a family ride to the Arctic circle, replicating a ride dad had taken 20 years earlier. They were awesome people, the sons had gone to university in Winnipeg and the family owned Law firm. Talked about riding and I mentioned that I was planning to head to Argentina the next year and would be crossing Mexico. They invited me to meet them and one of the sons asked to ride to Panama with me. We shared contact info and then they headed south; bikers we’re a big family!

Buddy eventually showed up and we finally headed for the Dalton just after noon and of course just before getting to the hwy 11 intersection it began to rain. About 1:30, while we were taking pictures in front of the welcome to the Dalton sign, a few freight trucks headed north pull in to check their loads and tires. I tell buddy to get his gear on so we can get ahead of them, don’t want to be getting stuck behind in the soup. When I turn around buddy is over talking to the driver of one of the trucks. I’m sure telling him how he used to be a long haul driver and describing any and all mods he had made to his rig. I give him wave to get moving which he ignores and before you know it the drivers are back in their cabs and pulling out ahead of us. Fack! What were you doing? “Oh I wanted to know what the road would be like ahead” Well it’s a good thing you asked cause we’ll be following them shortly and you won’t be able to see a fackin thing!(This time it’s out loud) Buddy is finally ready to go and we head off and we don’t go far when we catch the convoy. After following for 10 or 15 minutes we come to a long, slick but wide incline and the truckers graciously stay far right as their speed slows and wave us by. I don’t need a second invitation and make the pass. At the top of the hill I check behind and buddy has not passed, guess he’s reliving his trucking days and enjoying being the ass end of a convoy. I continue, keeping the trucks just in site, for another 15 minutes or so and then pull over at a pull off on top a hill. The trucks go by and buddy pulls in and gives me the international “WTF” look and motion. I ask what his attraction to following blindly in the mud spray of trucks is and he replies with “What’s the hurry” I let him know that I’ll be gassing up at Yukon River and will wait for him there. I’m getting a little fed up and once passed the convoy again I find myself cruising in the 100 to 110kph range as a way of venting, stupid I know but better than beating him with a tire iron. Approaching the Yukon river’s downhill bridge I realize the mud coating on the wood decking will probably be very slick. I get slowed down and am correct as to friction coefficient. Once across I pull in to get some gas for the last push to Coldfoot and there’s a line up of bikes at the pump headed South. I get in line and about 20 minutes later I’ve filled and am inside paying. I recognize a Father/Son duo that are riding a 1190 Ktm and a 650 BMW. They were at Northern Powersports this morning picking up their bike when I arrived. I grab a coffee, buy some souvenirs and mail a postcard to my daughter and buddy final pulls in. I strike up a conversation with the other riders and buddy comes over to share stories of his adventure thus far. The guys say they’re headed to Coldfoot as well and will leaving in a bit. They had originally booked a campsite but with the weather they now are considering getting a room as well and ask if I know if there’s vacancy? Not sure. Buddy says he wants to get a bowl of noodles and a sandwich and the guys offer to wait for him. PERFECT!! Hey I’m gonna bug out and meet you guys at Coldfoot that way I can be earlier and hold a room for you when I get there. Just want to be helpful. They like the idea and I’m outa here.

The rest of the ride was great, I left them at Yukon river about 3:30 and arrived at Coldfoot camp just before 6. Checked in, held the other guys a room, unpacked, cleaned up and was having a beer when they arrived. After buddy got his gear put away we had supper and then sat around the bar. Buddy started asking about possible accommodations in Deadhorse and I let him know that I was more than positive that there was only a campground for non-oilrig personnel, maybe not the total truth but I had a room booked here for 2 nights and absolutely no intention of not returning tomorrow. I would be bringing the very basics; tools and gas along but he could do as he pleased. Called it an early night so we could get an early start and ended the day, it was a pretty quiet evening
    Changing the rear again in Fairbanks
    PHOTO_20180823_095517.jpg

The family from Mexico returning from the Arctic Circle PHOTO_20180823_112205.jpg

Buddy's bike in the picture with mine as proof he was still on the trip PHOTO_20180823_133507.jpg

Ahhh solo again, actually was able to keep a nice pace and still make several photo stops between Yukon River and Coldfoot PHOTO_20180823_164817.jpg .
    wilfred, Ozarks Rider, scudo and 9 others like this.
  12. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Some more from that stretch: Stopped here to wait for buddy and the convoy to arrive PHOTO_20180823_141200.jpg

Somewherre between Yukon river and Coldfoot, the rain had stopped! PHOTO_20180823_162431.jpg
    At Douglas creek, pipeline to the right PHOTO_20180823_171937.jpg
    Arriving at Coldfoot and it's sorta sunny, funny how the weather and attitude improves when I'm alone. Remember Schleprock,... hmmm I'm beginning to wonder! PHOTO_20180823_204010.jpg
    wilfred, Ozarks Rider, StanBo and 8 others like this.
  13. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    And just another couple randoms, had time for taking pictures while waiting. IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0996.JPG

Oh look, here comes Schleprock!! IMG_0997.JPG
    wilfred, Ozarks Rider, StanBo and 8 others like this.
  14. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  15. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a very entertaining RR so far
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  16. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
  17. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a hard time getting past the first post here . I just can’t believe that a 21 year old would go to a BILLY JOEL concert .

North Rider
    Gone_Ridin and td63 like this.
  18. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Great ride. I'm in
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  19. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fack! this is a great read!
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  20. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    She plays piano, it was her birthday wish to see him play Vienna.